[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
scrooge999 wrote:

So if I understand correctly, would you say that it's generally not worth taking damage nodes with this build unless they are very high (24 or 30 percent increase)? I can see where you're coming from, but my damage is already low enough - 2.7 k single target - with a number of nodes taken that I would'nt really want it to go much lower. Of course, a high-end weapon is going to provide more DPS, but they are too expensive for me right now (Axe or non-Axe) so I'll probably stick with my 222 DPS until I find a better one.

Also really starting to hate Melee Splash for taking up the link and reducing damage, might end up going with Reave and Swords anyway after the re-spec...

Yes, damage nodes seem weak. You can try taking a 20-30% node and see how much your tooltip DPS goes up. Probably a small amount. A larger improvement to your DPS would be going with the Reave combo shown in the guide, especially with a 5-link. Quality attack skill and its support gems, flat physical mods on all gear possible, vulnerability curse, and hatred aura are affordable ways of significantly boosting DPS if desired.
Last edited by Sovyn on Mar 2, 2014, 12:34:02 PM
Crafted some corsair swords today:

The first one is not terrible but not even remotely usable at my level. Better luck next time!
Hi Guys

Playing the Lazy Pally for some time now and trying to optimize for SOTV.

Any thoughts on the possible impending block nerf? http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/808202

IF they nerf block in some way, will the build still be viable? Say with only 66% block we would be fine right? What do you guys think?

Would a block nerf destroy the Lazy Pally?
"
Nuit wrote:

Any thoughts on the possible impending block nerf?

Hi Nuit! :)

There is no way to start to optimize for 1.1 until later today when the patch notes are posted, and I can only finalize the new skill tree after it is available, presumably on the 5th.

The devs have certainly not indicated that block will be nerfed, that is only wild speculation at this time.

However, I will say that it would be incredibly heavy handed to nerf block when such an investment is required. The alternative for most would be to just get life nodes instead and that is very dull indeed.

All that may need a fix is the Aegis Aurora mechanic.

We will be fine though, either way.
Hi Sovyn!

First of all, thank you for this build it helped me a lot with my first end-game character. I am plannaing this for first character in the new HC league. I hope there will be updated build and levelling build early after it starts :)

I have question for you also:
What is your personal opinion about the best combat skill for levelling? What do you prefer to levelling safe and fast?

Thank you for the build again. Please keep up the good work! :)

Regards,
yodamester
Last edited by yodaHUN on Mar 3, 2014, 2:51:41 PM
"
yodaHUN wrote:
Hi Sovyn!

First of all, thank you for this build it helped me a lot with my first end-game character. I am plannaing this for first character in the new HC league. I hope there will be updated build and levelling build early after it starts :)

I have question for you also:
What is your personal opinion about the best combat skill for levelling? What do you prefer to levelling safe and fast?

Thank you for the build again. Please keep up the good work! :)

Regards,
yodamester

Hi yodamester. :) Glad the guide was helpful for you!

I'll be sure to get something workable up on the front page of this thread when I finally have access to the 1.1 skill tree.

That said, optimizations may occur at a later time once I have a chance to test all of the possible configurations on the new skill tree layout. Not an issue for a new league though, I'm sure I can stay ahead of folks' ability to level and actually spend the points. However, folks with existing high level lazy pallies on standard or hardcore league might want to wait a couple of days after 1.1 launches before respecing.

Leveling skills - early on you won't have a bunch of dex. Ground Slam and Heavy Strike are good choices. Cleave can be made to work instead of Ground Slam, but only recommended if you have a terrible mace but a good other type of weapon available (unless Cleave gets buffed in 1.1).
Confirmation that block is not getting the nerf bat:

"
Chris wrote:
"
Sovyn wrote:
Thank you for appropriately reducing the effectiveness of the overpowered shield uniques and leaving block as it is for those who choose to invest in it.

You're welcome, sir.
Phew, no block nerf - only a Aegis nerf and reduced spell block for Saffell's. Glad that I'll be able to continue playing with 75% block.

Also of interest might be:

"
The Vaal Oversoul's Smash is now fully considered an attack. It can now be evaded or blocked, but cannot be spell blocked.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Hi Sovyn,

Thanks for this fantastic build.

I have been following your build for a long time as I am a self found player my self, and for the most part I do not trade (have traded a whole 3 times since open beta, and 2 of those times I got scammed because I didn't know the market/prices). I have read through the majority of the 271 pages in your thread and admire the way you respond to almost every single post, and explain your decisions really well.

In the end of Domination, and now on Standard, I decided to test your build and re-specced my level 62 Templar to your spec. I am now level 69 and must say that I am sold on your build, although dps is somewhat low it is still acceptable to me, and my survivability is amazing having died only a few times (mainly due to my own stupidity or recklessness). For the first time ever can I facetank merciless Kole with relative easy, did 10 runs and only died once.

This is my current gear at Level 69 (all self found, not one piece of this have I traded for):

I can solo every Level 66 map and boss with relative ease (just a single death in 66 maps so far, again due to carelessness), and starting to move into Level 67 maps.

Must say that my tests have been very successful, and having seen that there wont be any bad nerfs in the new patch notes I have decided that I will certainly start a lazy pally in the new Ambush league. If you like I will regularly post my process here.

As for skills I personally find that Heavy Strike/Double Strike and Ground slam is best for leveling Normal - Merciless. Once entering Maps (Level 65+) I have found that Reave with Multistrike gives the best clearing speed, and makes up very well as both single target and AoE skill. I use Heavy Strike with Culling Strike + Rarity gem for finishing off rares and bosses :)

Keep up the great work Sovyn, and see you all soon in the new leagues!
"
Stefacle wrote:
Hi Sovyn,

Thanks for this fantastic build.

I have been following your build for a long time as I am a self found player my self, and for the most part I do not trade ...

Must say that my tests have been very successful, and having seen that there wont be any bad nerfs in the new patch notes I have decided that I will certainly start a lazy pally in the new Ambush league. If you like I will regularly post my process here.

As for skills I personally find that Heavy Strike/Double Strike and Ground slam is best for leveling Normal - Merciless. Once entering Maps (Level 65+) I have found that Reave with Multistrike gives the best clearing speed, and makes up very well as both single target and AoE skill. I use Heavy Strike with Culling Strike + Rarity gem for finishing off rares and bosses :)

Keep up the great work Sovyn, and see you all soon in the new leagues!

Howdy Stefacle! Thanks for posting and for the compliment, I appreciate that.

Glad you found the build useful. Always good to hear from another self found player as well.

Pretty decent gear for self found, Blight Band is especially sweet for this build.

Please do feel free to post your progress in Ambush.

I agree about ground slam and heavy strike for the first bunch of levels as we don't have much dex at first. Perhaps I should mention something about that in the guide. A bunch of changes coming up, will have to re-word my recommendation of Bringer of Rain for example.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info