[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
seiferoth10 wrote:

Main concept of the changes: get IR, drop Ondar's Guile.

Hi Seiferoth10,

I had made some changes last night and it was along these lines as well.

Here's the link to the passive tree I did: Passive skill tree build

My EQ also changed as well
Spoiler

I decided to stay with the Bringer of Rain so that I could save on the block nodes. I still took Body and Soul as well as the Aura Enhancement buff. One thing funny tho, with IR, I get more benefit from Grace instead of Determination. Determination Aura only pushes up my Armor to 14.8k (62%) whereas Grace pushes it to 17.6k (66%). If I put both Grace + Determination, armor goes to 29.2k (76%).

Since my base ES is only 1080, I've decided to walk around with Grace + Discipline. My Discipline gem is only level 14 but it gets ES to 1.7K I guess I'll have to level Discipline to 20 and get the full benefit of the gem. That will push ES to 2k.

I tested (Grace + Discipline) standing in front of Kole. He hits me for around 300-500 damage and his biggest hit which was prolly a crit was around 1.2k which was all on ES. After that I just regen with 1-2 blocks and I'm back to full again.

The only weakness would be chaos damage over time (Jungle Valley etc) and Massive Spell Damage (Temple Map with RIP mods lol). I'll test these and see if they are still doable without Evasion.

I also have another piece of eq I'd like to use but it lacks resists. Since I don't like crafting, I guess I'll just have to wait to find better upgrades to keep the resists at max with this new belt I found. Love the life and armor tho lol.

In any case, thanks for the suggestion, seiferoth10.

As always, props to Sovyn for the base guide that we all are building on.

On Grace vs Determination with IR, Grace is better until you literally have near max armor values on all your items, then Determination surpasses Grace. I know because I'm at a point where Determination and Grace provide almost exactly the same benefit (18695 with Determination, 18734 with Grace), and I have around 600 more flat armor possible on my gear (which is ~2.2k with Determination, but only ~1400 with Grace).

My ES is 1240 with Determination, Purity, and Hatred. Only ES on my gear is my chest, Rainbowstrides, and obviously Aegis.
Last edited by seiferoth10 on Nov 20, 2013, 2:48:24 AM
Those are indeed great stats seiferoth10. I finished all my currency buying that Aegis so It's back to farming currency for now.

On a separate note, I was able to test the build against torture chamber map with crazy mods. The build held up quite well. It was quite fun to see ES jump up and down and there were times when ES got chewed out and life got hit but stayed up above 80%.

Cant wait to try this on the loom chamber heh.
Re-rolling a new Pally as I intended to do a LS/TS type but found I don't like LS all that much. Is cyclone a good option for AoE? HS is fine for bosses but I know I will get bored if I don't have some visual flair to my character for non-bosses (just single target swinging is boring). I also liked my time with ground slam but thats limited to maces (which is fine, just limiting as a new player). Plus it seems that cyclone can be made to look white, which would fit a templar/holy theme pretty well.
"
GreekTrojan wrote:
Re-rolling a new Pally as I intended to do a LS/TS type but found I don't like LS all that much. Is cyclone a good option for AoE? HS is fine for bosses but I know I will get bored if I don't have some visual flair to my character for non-bosses (just single target swinging is boring). I also liked my time with ground slam but thats limited to maces (which is fine, just limiting as a new player). Plus it seems that cyclone can be made to look white, which would fit a templar/holy theme pretty well.

Howdy, GreekTrojan!

Yes, cyclone will work fine as long as you don't link it with multistrike, and you can manage its high mana draw. You might want to check reave too for a lower mana cost solution.
Sovyn!

What's everyone been using as an alternative HS? I really don't like the knockback... It's great in solo play V bosses but against anything else it really mucks up the farming and even group play. That extra time homing in to your target for the kill really is noticeable.

I'm looking for something that utilises the flat Phys Dam nodes and support gems you've already suggested in the page 1 build... but I'm also happy for you to suggest a whole different thing :P
IGN: ShootForTheLoot [Torment]
"
Sovyn wrote:
Hello Jiaozy! Welcome to the thread. You are free to do as you wish of course, however the build has both evasion and armour for a good reason. Blind is great, I suggest it for the attack skill if one does not have mana sufficient to run another DPS support. However, its chance to go off is not that great with Tempest Shield. The reliability of Ondar's + evasion is better in maps.
Once I get a Bringer of Rain to gain that 15% block + free Blind I'll definetely get rid of Tempest Shield, but until then, it's just too good to be left out of the build.

I also found that having so-so evasion and so-so armor made me more squishy than having Iron Reflexes.
With capped block (still only at 66 without The Anvil) I feel a lot tankier if I can mitigate even big hits than having to take a whole Brutus smash with low armor should my block + low evade fail me.
"
zythyl wrote:
Sovyn!

What's everyone been using as an alternative HS? I really don't like the knockback... It's great in solo play V bosses but against anything else it really mucks up the farming and even group play. That extra time homing in to your target for the kill really is noticeable.

I'm looking for something that utilises the flat Phys Dam nodes and support gems you've already suggested in the page 1 build... but I'm also happy for you to suggest a whole different thing :P
I was thinking of using Reave because I found a decent claw to go with it, but it's still too low level, atm I'm using Dual Strike with Multi, Faster, Melee Phys and SplasH and is working very well.
I gave up on Heavy Strike exactly for the problem with constant knockback....
IGN:
Jiaozy - Jiaozy[something]
"
zythyl wrote:
Sovyn!

Hello zythyl, double strike is an alternative. HS has a better armour penetrating capability and better leech due to highest damage effectiveness. The knockback on HS does not bother me at all as I am used to it and lose no time pursuing the quarry. DS is a reasonable alternative. It will just hit more often for less damage. Works better with on hit effects like life gain on hit support gem. I don't use that because I need all support sockets for damage, but it is one pro for DS.
"
Jiaozy wrote:
I also found that having so-so evasion and so-so armor made me more squishy than having Iron Reflexes.
With capped block (still only at 66 without The Anvil) I feel a lot tankier if I can mitigate even big hits than having to take a whole Brutus smash with low armor should my block + low evade fail me.

I think you may just need better armour gear. I reach over 42% damage reduction with so-so gear. Molten Shell and Granite flasks, if desired, are on top of that. You can definitely do better, as a trader, probably 50%+ base DR with determination.

I do not believe it is worth sacrificing my 39% avoidance vs. melee and 78% avoidance vs. projectile for 10% or 20% more damage reduction. The best armour is the initial armour, after that, there are diminishing returns. The avoidance the build has really does make the difference between getting hit and not getting hit much at all. For example, in maps, many of the projectiles are chaos damage. With Ondar's we can get by without expensive chaos resist gear, otherwise, not so much.
"
Sovyn wrote:
The reliability of Ondar's + evasion is better in maps.

I can attest to this, there are some maps that are complete cakewalks with ondar's/40% evasion.

eg. wharf (end boss is a hyped up chaos snake) + ranged mobs modifier, you spend more time collecting loot than you do fighting, as ranged mobs tend to be quite soft in the HP dept.

Or face tanking those pyro dogs that do the flamethrower thing. Just lay it on, they can barely touch you.

+ranged mobs has become my favourite modifier at the moment.

Also, for anyone doing Acton's Nightmare map (spoiler wrapped as it's actually quite a fun map to figure out, although you might not have enough portals to carry off all the loot you get...)
Spoiler
has a restless dead modifier, so any undead you kill get back up + twin necromancer bosses at the end. I recommend bringing a leveled up infernal blow (blows up corpses so they can't be rezzed) + melee splash&multistrike if you have them, the skele packs go down very fast and don't get back up. Should have at least 55 reserve mana. The last bosses rez each other so just MS on it's own can be disavantageous whereas melee splash, they both take damage at a similar rate.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info