[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

I have played too since release. At first my two spectral thrower Scions died around level 50 but I feel Templar build made "by the book" is stronk. In the beginning it didn't feel good at all since I got big holes in defenses but when stuff is started to stack it's becoming stronger in cruel. I am on level 42 now.

1) I have some big issues with dps tho. I feel that heavy strike is very slow to harvest enemy groups. I tried to lightning strike and it's way better but does pretty tiny damage to single target. Maybe there will be good nodes to pick later on that boost my dps or something...

2) Is your gear updated in the first page? It looks different from your description.

3) did you maintain strict 75 cap or more on every difficulty level? I am not on cruel little bit lacking some resistances and probably will die on merciless if can't get that fixed. I am looking for some help from item upgrades and nodes.

Thanks for good guide which was surprisingly effective build!
Last edited by Possu81 on Nov 14, 2013, 7:52:16 PM
Gear in the spoiler.

Spoiler

Using that axe + the chest combo + the other +phys items, my HS paper DPS is ~6k.

Swapping determination for hatred, it get's a bit silly at that point... =)

Taking out determination though means that what little makes it through my shield really really hurts, so for bosses it's a must.

The one boss that confounds me is the orchard Devourer boss, who has on a couple of occasions one shot me... =\

I've found that my anvil
has been getting a lot less time equipped. While I'm wearing the Laz, melee mobs aren't really an issue and spellcasters are ezimode. Swapping in the anvil, spellcasters absolutely destroy me (skele maps are terrible for that). Given that it reduces attack speed + run speed, it's becoming more of an impediment than a boon.

That being said, I have zero mana leech and regen apart from my mana leech gem, so if I 'stall' (get leeched or do a cyclone without warlords applying), I have no way to kickstart my main attack again apart from swapping in the anvil and blocking a couple of hits to get mana back.

Also, drops off map bosses seem way up atm. I picked up four uniques in 4 maps last night (two had twinned bosses). Also managed to pick up about 8 maps from four, which was a pleasant surprise.

Still haven't replaced my overlevel enduring cry (/sadface) but otherwise the CODT gems are still clicking along well.

"
Sovyn wrote:
"
nbriles2000 wrote:

Now the real question. I'm moving resists from my belt in hopes to squeeze some more damage out of that slot. I can either grab a rustic sash with as much phys dmg/ life/ armor and that extra fire resists OR grab a Magnate. I'll still be shy a little fire res but that can be made up in a ring or something, and I'll be out a little life (i'm only at like 2k right now at lvl 65) but I think that extra damage would help a lot...
Thoughts? Suggestions?

Best is a rare rustic sash with a good roll on the damage plus high armour plus high life, and a resist you need. Meginord's is a good second choice. Magnate, not so good.

As per usual, you are correct. After posting this I found out you can't get a rustic sash with +elemental dmg so I can get much more damage from gloves than I can from belt. I'm going to get gloves with as many damage mods as I can afford with life and armor and finish getting the rest of my resists on my belt. Now I just need one of the 5 people I pm'd about gloves to message me back!
How's the DPS with this build? My Blender does 15k DPS and attacks and darts around the map like a mofo - LOVE IT.

It's hard adapting to this build. Given I'm only under level 30 :P

Also - Spectral Throw or...?
IGN: ShootForTheLoot [Torment]
Last edited by zythyl on Nov 14, 2013, 8:49:34 PM
"
Possu81 wrote:
I have played too since release. At first my two spectral thrower Scions died around level 50 but I feel Templar build made "by the book" is stronk. In the beginning it didn't feel good at all since I got big holes in defenses but when stuff is started to stack it's becoming stronger in cruel. I am on level 42 now.

1) I have some big issues with dps tho. I feel that heavy strike is very slow to harvest enemy groups. I tried to lightning strike and it's way better but does pretty tiny damage to single target. Maybe there will be good nodes to pick later on that boost my dps or something...

2) Is your gear updated in the first page? It looks different from your description.

3) did you maintain strict 75 cap or more on every difficulty level? I am not on cruel little bit lacking some resistances and probably will die on merciless if can't get that fixed. I am looking for some help from item upgrades and nodes.

Thanks for good guide which was surprisingly effective build!

Hello Possu81. :)

1) Perhaps you could use both attack skills. LS for packs and HS for singles/bosses.

2) Gear is current. I'm self found exclusively, so the items are decent considering that -- it's a really hardcore way to play as you literally find *nothing* that you can use. If you trade, you can easily do better. I don't have replacement gems for CwDT after the nerf in 1.0.1 as I had leveled them up too high. Other than that, I don't see how my gear differs from my description. I do suggest uniques in the guide, but I never say they are required. Perhaps some better formatting is needed to clarify this.

3) Yes, I did my best to always stay capped on elemental resistances. I did use Purity in my mid levels until they nerfed the snot out of it. :) By Merciless the recommended tree should provide a little more resists, but it's already more generous than most builds on this front, so it comes down to getting decent gear.

Glad you are finding things to be effective so far.
"
Saviourself wrote:

The one boss that confounds me is the orchard Devourer boss, who has on a couple of occasions one shot me... =\

I've found that my anvil
has been getting a lot less time equipped. While I'm wearing the Laz, melee mobs aren't really an issue and spellcasters are ezimode. Swapping in the anvil, spellcasters absolutely destroy me (skele maps are terrible for that). Given that it reduces attack speed + run speed, it's becoming more of an impediment than a boon.

Thanks for thr update on your progress.

I ran into a twinned Orchard map a couple days ago and realized that was a mistake.

I mention Lazhwar first in the guide for a reason, I do think it's the best choice.

However, Anvil does have mana benefits as you mentioned.

I prefer to tune my attack skill so that 2% mana leech can keep up, obviously some things have to be sacrificed without a Soul Taker.
"
zythyl wrote:
How's the DPS with this build? My Blender does 15k DPS and attacks and darts around the map like a mofo - LOVE IT.

What level blender and how many ex worth of gear? Apples to apples or apples to oranges? What's stopping you from using the same transportation abilities/gear on your pally?

15K DPS is certainly possible with the lazy pally as well, I have probably a dozen users that have beaten that (this is a long thread spanning 9 months.)

I don't think Spectral Throw is very impressive at all with a 1-hander.

Most seem to use heavy strike (easiest by far to get right) or infernal blow or double strike or dominating blow (with Soul Taker).

Have fun. :)
"
Sovyn wrote:
"
zythyl wrote:

What level blender and how many ex worth of gear? Apples to apples or apples to oranges? What's stopping you from using the same transportation abilities/gear on your pally?

15K DPS is certainly possible with the lazy pally as well, I have probably a dozen users that have beaten that (this is a long thread spanning 9 months.)

I don't think Spectral Throw is very impressive at all with a 1-hander.

Most seem to use heavy strike (easiest by far to get right) or infernal blow or double strike or dominating blow (with Soul Taker).

Have fun. :)

~12ex worth. And cheers, I'll keep at it :)
IGN: ShootForTheLoot [Torment]
As always, props to Sovyn for this gem of a guide.

I started playing towards the end of Anarchy League and this is my second char. The first one didn't go too well. I started out as self found but once I was able to save currency using the vendor recipe that gives 2 chaos I slowly built up my char. I've purchased BoR twice (the second one being a high roll) and my Lionseye was self found then a near perfect one came along which I couldn't resist as the price was something I could afford.

I tweaked the build sacrificing life for armor and took the four nodes that offer 8 reduced mana reservation as well as a total of 28% increase in auras. I normally just go in with Determination and Grace but there are times when I drop Determination and replace it with Hatred and when I'm farming, I switch out one of my rings for Andvarius and drop Determination for Purity.

There are probably other areas that I can tweak but I hate spending currency on crafting and I also am quite impatient when it comes to trading as I am a casual player and when I do play I prefer to just dive right into maps or do Dominus runs.

Anyway, here's a link to the skill tree I use with the aura nodes as well as the eq I use. With determination and grace up, I'm at 15650(63%) armor and 7900(44%) evasion. Once again, thanks Sovyn for a great guide to build up on. If there's anything I can do to improve this build, lemme know. :)

Passive skill tree build

Current EQ
Spoiler

"
DrewC wrote:
As always, props to Sovyn for this gem of a guide.

Hi DrewC, thanks for the recognition and offer of help! Can't think of anything right now, but I appreciate that. Your gear looks pretty good! I like that you have 20% quality gems on your attack skill. Nice armour and evasion numbers for sure. I assume the armour is before molten shell too. Looks like the route you took to sovereignty is almost as good as the pre-nerf Inner Force was.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info