[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

"
Sovyn wrote:
"

Thanks for the suggestions, I plan to spend the 4 passive points on Sovereignty, for a total of 16% Less Mana Reserved for my auras. Will see how it goes (I will be able to get them at level 80) and report back. If it doesn't work, well.. I can always use some Orbs of Regrets ehh? :P

Also yeah I know the problem now. I have 53 Mana remaining while my Heavy Strike requires 60 mana to use ;) So Sovereignty should solve the problem! :)

Another question... how in the earth do people claim to do like 30-40K DPS? With my BoR and Heavy Strike attached to it with all it's juices and spices, information on my Heavy Strike says it does only 7.7K...

Glad you figured it out. Helps to have enough mana to use your skill one time at least. :D

As far as DPS, the biggest thing is a high damage weapon. Legacy Soul Taker, which most of the veteran users of my build have, does around 360 DPS. You can get something like that for a lot less (a few ex vs. 100 ex for the legacy soul taker) in a rare item, just won't have the mana perk.

Next, quality gems where it counts.

Third, shield, belt, rings can all have a chunk of physical damage on them.

Fourth, hatred and/or Anger instead of one or more of the defensive auras. (I don't recommend it, but if one is pulling out all the stops for damage...)

Fifth, lose the splash. Run Melee Damage on Full Life, Added Fire Damage and Multistrike on BoR along with Heavy Strike.

Sixth, with BoR's 15% block you can drop a few block nodes (choose the ones that won't cost you any defense bonus, e.g., Bulwark is OK to eliminate) depending on your shield choice and put them into damage nodes. If you have a 350+ DPS 1 hander it's not likely you would ever upgrade so you can go ahead and pick some nodes for your weapon type if they are conveniently along our route and better than the generic nodes. Be careful about going out of the way though, those lead-in nodes to get to something that catches your eye make whatever you are going for a total waste of points no matter how good the node is. Better to get what's convenient, like Fencing.

Who needs a Soul Taker when you've got this?
Spoiler

:P

On a more serious note, thanks for the much needed suggestions ;D
1 Eternal = 2 Exalted (ex)
1 Exalted (ex) = 10 Gemcutter's Prism (GCP) = 22 Chaos = 220 Chromatic
"
breadflow wrote:
PoE newbie here. Is Glacial Hammer any count on this build?

Hello breadflow! Glacial works, but you have to find good maces every few levels as you progress, which is harder than with other skills that can use several different weapon types. Additionally, it is harder to manage your mana with an elemental skill vs. a physical skill which can benefit more directly from mana leech on gear. The easiest choices to play are 1) Heavy strike, 2) double strike.
Question!

Why not sacrifice one point from somewhere to get Blood Magic Node in the passive skill tree? Wouldn't that eliminate all mana issues as well as save a potential skill slot?
"
CombatEvolve wrote:
Question!

Why not sacrifice one point from somewhere to get Blood Magic Node in the passive skill tree? Wouldn't that eliminate all mana issues as well as save a potential skill slot?

Hello CombatEvolve! I have no mana issues. We don't take blood magic keystone because mana leech is a superior approach. Why? Your life stays fuller, improving survivability and enabling the use of the Melee Damage on Full Life gem. Chaos DOT maps are easier as well. And, the biggest reason, we use two defensive auras on our mana. With BM keystone, you can't use auras as this is not a low life build.
Okay thank you for the info!

I haven't played PoE since 1 month after Open Beta opened up, so I'm starting a new char on Domination and I was just curious! Now the challenge shall be to find everything. Thanks!
"
CombatEvolve wrote:
Okay thank you for the info!

I haven't played PoE since 1 month after Open Beta opened up, so I'm starting a new char on Domination and I was just curious! Now the challenge shall be to find everything. Thanks!

Best of luck and let us know if you have any further questions. :)
Heya :)
So that's my first build since beta in 2012 ^^ thx for putting this guide up but...
man... as a first char it's sooooooo boring...

I'm level 28 , just entered act 3 on normal and i'm bored to death.
So maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i only equip dropped items and i save my orbs for level 60+ so my gear is not optimal.

The thing is the only AOEs i have are sweep and ground slam, which i can only use either with a mace or a 2h weapon... so no shield. I cant die... I just cant, even in 6ppl groups, when i'm swarmed, i'm brick wall lol but it takes me half an hour to kill a minion and i got the kill them one...by...one...

my stats are
92.5dps
91%acc
661armour
48%block
45ish all res

I'm maining mace/shield for heavy strike/tempest shield and switch to 2h staff for sweep.

Am I doing something wrong with this char ? ^_^ (i followed the whole guide)

Thanks again for your help :D
"
mehyav wrote:
Heya :)
So that's my first build since beta in 2012 ^^ thx for putting this guide up but...
man... as a first char it's sooooooo boring...

I'm level 28 , just entered act 3 on normal and i'm bored to death.
So maybe i'm doing something wrong, but i only equip dropped items and i save my orbs for level 60+ so my gear is not optimal.

The thing is the only AOEs i have are sweep and ground slam, which i can only use either with a mace or a 2h weapon... so no shield. I cant die... I just cant, even in 6ppl groups, when i'm swarmed, i'm brick wall lol but it takes me half an hour to kill a minion and i got the kill them one...by...one...

my stats are
92.5dps
91%acc
661armour
48%block
45ish all res

I'm maining mace/shield for heavy strike/tempest shield and switch to 2h staff for sweep.

Am I doing something wrong with this char ? ^_^ (i followed the whole guide)

Thanks again for your help :D

Hi mehyav. :)

Note that there is no build I would consider 'fun' at level 28, you can't have all your gear and skills by then.

Look for leap slam or shield charge to keep the pacing up between packs. Run speed on boots helps too.

As to your low DPS, it's a simple gearing problem - your weapon is not good enough. There are several good low level unique weapons you could get for cheap/free if you look around.

If you want an AOE nowish, try making either a shadow or scion in your league, pick up their starting gem (spectral throw), or the first quest reward for killing Hillock for the shadow (Reave) and put it in your stash for your templar to play with.

You could also try Infernal Blow, that's kind of fun at the lower levels before you get multistrike which makes the ordinary attack skills like heavy strike and double strike better. There's also the melee splash support gem from the Sharp and Cruel quest in act 2. If you use that, you will have to use mana flasks often.
Waah, thanks for all the infos and the quick reply :D

About no build being fun i partied with 3-4 spectral throw guys... they raped eveything, but then maybe they were overgeared, still looked fun compared to my walking wall :D

I think I'll make a shadow like you said and try ST/Reave until i get multistrike :)
Also i thought about Melee Splash (got it as a quest reward i guess) but i'm struggling with mana if my weapon has more that 1.10 att speed :D so with this gem.. gaaah

OoT kinda : the fastest way to get decent gear would be to farm act 1 and 2 over and over in normal ? or keep progressing slowly then farm once i reach cruel ?

edit : awwwwwwww need to finish act 3 to get the scion <_< awite... *sadcorgi*

edit 2 : ok I bought a 3L weapon at the merchant and got kinda lucky i guess (rolled15str and 8-18+phys dmg XD) put Splash Dmg with Double strike and heavy strike.. wooot it's the bomb XD i kill shit so fast now ^^ thanks alot
Last edited by mehyav on Nov 9, 2013, 6:52:16 PM
"
mehyav wrote:
Waah, thanks for all the infos and the quick reply :D

About no build being fun i partied with 3-4 spectral throw guys... they raped eveything, but then maybe they were overgeared, still looked fun compared to my walking wall :D

Oh, yeah, that's right... if they had spectral throw in normal, they are twinked out, so of course they will do better.

Well, give Reave or Infernal Blow a go.

I'd probably farm City of Sarn or Dread Thicket. But as mentioned, there is a thread where someone was giving away uniques to true newbies. Here's a link. Only if you play Standard league. I see he has plenty of Brightbeak's and Al Dhih's. No idea what your current weapon is or your dex/int, but it's a factor in choosing.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info