[3.10] Sovyn's Lazy Pally - Tanky Templar with Max Block

Thanks for the info to both of you guys.

I actually just picked up the body last time I played and alched it myself-- I wish I gad a better hp roll, but I really like the +armor and %armor on it, so I'll probably leave it for now.

Yeah, I've been playing pretty greedy, trying to farm up as much as I can. I guess I'll bite the bullet and pick up some gear with more survivability at the cost of farming in the close run, finish act 3 hen go back to real farming. I think I may have prioritized armor/evasion over hp a little too much. I will try and pick up aurseize though, it seems like a great fit.
"
curryflurry wrote:
I will try and pick up aurseize though, it seems like a great fit.

If you can easily kill Vaal Merciless then you are ready to experiment with stuff like aurseize which is not too strong in the survivability department. Until then, get the highest life rolls and armour rolls that you can while maxing your resists. You will get some evasion from a good shield.
I use Heavy Strike as my attack, but sometimes the knockback in a pack gets a bit annoying, as - due to my butterfingers mostly - I miss a swing or two. I do like HS a lot though - and I think it is the highest DPS one for me.

Out of curiosity - does anyone else, for this build, use any other skill ? also knockback comes with tiny (instantaneous) stun effect right? because the animation of mobs seem to indicate they are stunned momentarilty, or is it just my imagination?

Thanks

P.S: Level 76 now! and got IIQ to 97% or so heh without losing resists etc!.
I also use Heavy Strike, it hits like a truck with my poor 4L gear (HS/melee physical damage/multistrike/faster attack) and i consider it a no-brainer vs single targets !
Same than you i can find the knockback annoying, not on single targets/bosses as i'm now used to move them towards a wall, but more for packs

This is my current issue ... I don't find HS enough effective in my case to clear trash packs !
With physical life/mana leech from gear i would like to keep using this skill for everything
but my infernal Blow (IF/melee splash/multistrike/faster attack) is so much more faster to clear things but with a drawback of a harder sustainable mana cost and less life leech ...

So for the moment, lvl 72, i farm Lunaris for gear and currencies - a complete fail in matter of drops ... - and i manually switch my gem setup for trash and bosses, not a big deal but doesn't really fit my "lazy" vision of the build :)
I'm really considering trying to find another multistrike to have both skill ready to use
Of course your feedbacks and suggestions are welcome to improve my effectiveness with large packs and HS

I made a try with melee splash+multistrike on Heavy Strike to see if a 5L item (which I don't have ...) would solve my issues
but unfortunately it seems that the knockback is moving everything away from my splash radius,
did you experimented this also ?

Thanks

"
MildlyClever wrote:
I use Heavy Strike as my attack, but sometimes the knockback in a pack gets a bit annoying, as - due to my butterfingers mostly - I miss a swing or two. I do like HS a lot though - and I think it is the highest DPS one for me.

Out of curiosity - does anyone else, for this build, use any other skill ? also knockback comes with tiny (instantaneous) stun effect right? because the animation of mobs seem to indicate they are stunned momentarilty, or is it just my imagination?

Thanks

P.S: Level 76 now! and got IIQ to 97% or so heh without losing resists etc!.

Grats on 76! Heavy Strike has a higher chance to stun than other skills but it is not guaranteed. "25% Reduced Enemy Stun Threshold"

I've seen people using any skill you can name with this build -- most claim success.

Lightning strike, infernal blow, double strike, cleave, ground slam, reave, dominating blow to name a few.

HS is the one I found could work within my modest mana leech and low mana pool after auras.
"
GranNiN wrote:

This is my current issue ... I don't find HS enough effective in my case to clear trash packs !
With physical life/mana leech from gear i would like to keep using this skill for everything
but my infernal Blow (IF/melee splash/multistrike/faster attack) is so much more faster to clear things but with a drawback of a harder sustainable mana cost and less life leech ...

I made a try with melee splash+multistrike on Heavy Strike to see if a 5L item (which I don't have ...) would solve my issues
but unfortunately it seems that the knockback is moving everything away from my splash radius,
did you experimented this also ?

When HS started to do less damage than I could live with, a weapon upgrade solved the problem. Adding Hatred helped a lot. Jewelry with physical damage mods makes a nice difference too.

Double strike is better with melee splash but it leeches less. Probably more than Infernal though.

With my current setup as modest as it is, most mobs die before they get pushed out of range and I just use multi not splash.
thanks Sovyn. HS does hit like a truck - that threshold word usage always confused me - I just thought it reduced the enemy's "limit or tolerance" to getting stunned, and didnt know that meant stun itself.

Today I found a nice unique which has reduced my misses a lot due to it adding to the reach!

Hey, GranNiN, if you play on Anarchy league, I can give you this if you want. Decent resists also on this. Let me know - IGN: MeleeGibson.

I am now using another 5L which has more armor - makes my fire and lightning 70% (and not 75%) though, but I like the armor :)

"
MildlyClever wrote:
thanks Sovyn. HS does hit like a truck - that threshold word usage always confused me - I just thought it reduced the enemy's "limit or tolerance" to getting stunned, and didnt know that meant stun itself.

Today I found a nice unique which has reduced my misses a lot due to it adding to the reach!

The wording is confusing for sure. :) It just means you have a better chance of stunning. Why could they have not said that to being with, right? :D

That unique amulet is pretty cool. I like the 60% additional damage when on full life -- that is actually pretty good for us as the focus of the build is not getting hit, and we get some life leech and regen to keep it topped up.

You could possibly make up for the loss of spell block (Lazhwar) by using Rainbowstride boots. Just a thought.

We get +2 melee range in the duelist area, so with this amulet, you will have +4 melee range. That's probably quite noticeable.
Last edited by Sovyn on Oct 5, 2013, 2:17:30 AM
true - I was thinking, I have 80ish mana left after running resists or vitality, armor, cold dmg auras. I have a 3% mana leech from attacks - so tried out without BloodMagic , iwasnt too hard in docks (I replaced BM with another gem - IIQ or with fire dmg - and tried), but not viable.

Mainly because since I uses BM, the "full life" didnt kick in much - as I was almost always like a few HP short of full :D

Sovyn, you on Anarchy too?
"
Sovyn wrote:
When HS started to do less damage than I could live with, a weapon upgrade solved the problem. Adding Hatred helped a lot. Jewelry with physical damage mods makes a nice difference too.

Thanks Sovyn, i just want to clarify, i can live with HS and large packs
it's just slower than IB without the splash, but safer with the physical leech (life+mana)
here is my weapon, i think it's decent and not worth an upgrade yet ?

Spoiler

I need to work on my gear, i'm still using a lot of "leveling uniques" that i could 4L
there is still a lot of room for improvement :)

I was wondering at which level did you go for Static Blows ?
i'm really tempted to take it in 2 levels (75) but don't have finished the marauder part
is it too early ?

by the way i'd like to thank you for sharing this build
this is an effective one and this is my character i'm enjoying the most !

Cheers

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info