IllustriousDjinni's RoA IR Ranger. HC Viable, Beginner Friendly UPDATED: 2.3 patch

Great guide, thanks for this.

I'm testing this out in Bloodlines and I'm still relatively new to the game... What would stop me (if anything) from using this same build but with a different primary attack (i.e. Tornado Shot or Ice Shot)? I'm approaching level 40 and after testing out Tornado Shot (with GMP) I've become quite fond of it and prefer it to Arrow Rain. Could I still use the same passive tree and still be successful as a Tornado Shot ranger?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I don't see any reason as to why this build wouldn't work with another primary skill - that is, unless I'm overlooking something (which is very likely since I'm still new/inexperienced).

Please let me know! Great guide either way. If for some reason I can't make tornado/frost work, I'll just switch back to Arrow Rain (tornado/frost just feel a bit more fluid to me, conc'd arrow rain + delay = kinda hard to hit sometimes with desync blah blah).
You can change the skill if you want and it should work fine. It would be a bit different to the meta for Tornado Shot builds as currently it is popular to have a high amount of crit with Tornado Shot compared to this build being quite tanky. If you were going to just use this build with Tornado shot. I would recommend no longer getting point blank or the increased area of effect nodes. This would also make Carcass Jack less than ideal but being new I doubt you had enough currency for it anyway.

P.S Sorry for the late reply, I was on Holiday.
IGN: Rhianil
*** Build guides ***
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1209798
Last edited by IllustriousDjinni on Jan 8, 2015, 7:35:44 PM
I got a silly question, i'm relatively new to the game and i don't understand every mechanics to it but why does the "defensive set up" gems must be of specific levels?
"
aladinbest12 wrote:
I got a silly question, i'm relatively new to the game and i don't understand every mechanics to it but why does the "defensive set up" gems must be of specific levels?

It is because of the gem "Cast When Damage Taken". The more levels you have in the gem the more damage you take before the skills linked to are triggered. If you look on the wiki or have the gem it says it only supports skill gems with required level equal to or less than a certain level (This is so you can't take 100 damage and have a level 20 enduring cry go off). Supports linked to it can be any level so you can have a lvl 20 Increased Duration linked to a lvl 1 Cast When Damage Taken.
I need a signature to look legit
Last edited by Hunt8722 on Jan 27, 2015, 8:30:32 PM
"
Hunt8722 wrote:
"
aladinbest12 wrote:

It is because of the gem "Cast When Damage Taken". The more levels you have in the gem the more damage you take before the skills linked to are triggered. If you look on the wiki or have the gem it says it only supports skill gems with required level equal to or less than a certain level (This is so you can't take 100 damage and have a level 20 enduring cry go off). Supports linked to it can be any level so you can have a lvl 20 Increased Duration linked to a lvl 1 Cast When Damage Taken.

What he said.
*** Build guides ***
Hey, thanks - having a Chin Sol in the trunk, I've dusted off my lvl75 ranger (softcore) and this happened to be the first build to try, think I'm going to stick with it, it's real fun :-)

I'm using Herald of Ash with Elemental Proliferation and I'm leveling up Explosive Arrow. Ice Shot with LMP also seems to be a nice counterpart to RoA.

It's a nice build for newbs and casuals, like me. I have only self found equipment nothing worth writing home about. Think it would be a good candidate for Build of the Week (if it ain't featured already).

Thanks!
My hovercraft is full of eels!
Last edited by Algernon77 on Feb 26, 2015, 12:40:59 AM
Nice build
Basileus_
Last edited by Basileus_ on Feb 26, 2015, 5:40:29 AM
That's for the compliment. I love the quick shoot then move then shoot then move play style it has. It's a bit basic for build of the week though which tends to be interesting builds or really popular ones. :p
*** Build guides ***
I'm going to try this out I think, or some close variant of it. It kind of reminds me of those old school closed beta ranger builds. Going to into Marauder tree for health.

Also, maybe I missed it somewhere in the description, but how do you deal with Phys reflect? Just granites and CWDT setup?

EDIT: Nvm about the reflect, I see Vaal Pact now. Derp
Fuck this game
Last edited by Torquebow on Mar 7, 2015, 11:30:14 AM
Point Blank helps you not die from off screen reflect giving you time to realise you need to use a granite flask if you don't want to go the Vaal Pact route.
*** Build guides ***

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info