So Gun Owners Question...

First, you will need a concealed weapons permit (CCW). In order to obtain one, they will make you take a basic pistol course. I would highly recommend choosing a place known for doing a good job. The range I took a basic pistol class at did a wonderful job and showed me quite a few things. In some states, you do not need a permit to "open carry" which means the gun is in plain sight but many people will give you strange looks if you walk around with gun on your hip so concealed is generally better.

Second, the above comment about not pulling your gun on someone unless you plan to shoot them is actually a pretty bad opinion. Most bad guys are looking for an easy target. If they are doing something that makes you feel threatened, it is absolutely a good idea to "draw" on them. But PLEASE do take a pistol course. They will explain to you when it is ok and when it is not ok to draw your gun. As well as drill you on the rules of gun ownership which includes NEVER pointing a gun at something you aren't willing to destroy. But drawing your gun on someone that makes you feel threatened does NOT necessarily mean pointing it at them. Again, a good class will help you with all of this.

Lastly, the gun you choose should be something your are willing to carry on you all day everyday. It should be comfortable in your hand and of the highest caliber you can comfortably shoot.

I'm not an expert. But I was in your shoes about 7 months ago. Since then, I have taken a pistol course, obtained my CCW, and purchased two handguns. I have also shot around 5 thousand rounds through these guns and had a blast while learning and perfecting various self defense shooting drills.

I'm using my iphone to post this so I don't really want to post links, but I own a Smith and Wesson M&P full size in 9mm and a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield in 40s&w. The shield is my carry gun and I absolutely love it. It is a great concealed carry gun. But ultimately, whatever you buy should be a good fit for your hand and a caliber you are willing to shoot.

One last thing. I don't know where you live (or do I?) but some shooting ranges have guns you can rent. This could help you determine what type of gun you like best as well as what caliber is best for you.

There are lots of sites out there that could explain it better, but I thought I would share since I am also a newer shooter.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Aug 31, 2014, 4:43:13 AM
I think Solwitch lives in Florida where gun ownership is easier than car rentals.

Can a gun deter a criminal? Yes. With all it deter all criminals! No.

Talk to a veteran about how it feels to shoot someone before you go through with it.
@Dragon tyvm very informative, moonyu is correct I live in Florida. 5:40am I should be sleeping ^.^
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
I got the time crisis gun for sony 1, do i get an opinion too?
"
Dragon585 wrote:

Second, the above comment about not pulling your gun on someone unless you plan to shoot them is actually a pretty bad opinion. Most bad guys are looking for an easy target. If they are doing something that makes you feel threatened, it is absolutely a good idea to "draw" on them. But PLEASE do take a pistol course. They will explain to you when it is ok and when it is not ok to draw your gun. As well as drill you on the rules of gun ownership which includes NEVER pointing a gun at something you aren't willing to destroy. But drawing your gun on someone that makes you feel threatened does NOT necessarily mean pointing it at them. Again, a good class will help you with all of this.

The classes I took were unanimous in their advice not to pull a gun on someone unless you fully plan to use it. I wasn't even aware that there were any classes that teach people to use a gun as a scare tactic, other than open carry.

Edit: Another thing is to find out the laws of where you live and what will happen if you do use it. Here in Cambodia as long as my gun is legal and licenced, if I kill a thief in my own home I can be very confident that nothing will happen to me from a legal perspective as a result, regardless of whether the thief was armed. If I did the same thing where I'm from (England) I'd be in a world of legal shit whether I was right to kill the thief or not. As such, I wouldn't want to own a gun in England even if they'd let me. You're damned if you use it and damned if you don't over there.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Aug 31, 2014, 6:39:40 AM
I'm not saying point your gun at every person that looks at you funny and I'm not even sure where in my post I make it sound like it's ok to point a gun at anyone or anything you don't plan to destroy.

Here is an example of an actual incident that took place in Tennessee. The Handgun Pemit Holder in Tennessee rented trailers. One of the renters was behind on his rent. The Permit Holder went to the trailer of the renter. The renter was a large burley man who had a criminal history. He found out after he rented the trailer to him, that he had spent time in jail for murder. As the landloard approached the trailor, the rentor came running out of the house towards the landlord. Not knowing what was about to happen, the landloard drew his weapon but held it in his hand at his side, he did not point it at the renter. He yelled at the renter to stop running at him. When the rentor saw the pistol, he stopped running. The landlord told the renter he was behind on his rent. He needed him to pay the back rent in a few days, or he would have him evicted. The conflict did not escalate any further.

Please note that I do not mean to make it sound like it is ok to use your gun as a scare tactic. Perhaps I did a horrible job explaining. Allow me to rephrase. If someone is doing something that makes you feel threatened (as in fearing for your life) then your self defense weapon does you no good in its holster. Please take a good self defense course as they will do a MUCH better job of helping you determine when it is appropriate to draw on someone.

Sorry if I did a poor job explaining.
DISCLAIMER!
The views and expressed opinions of Dragon are solely those of a drunken redneck and are not necessarily those of a sane person. Any likeness of intelligence is strictly coincidental and should not be taken seriously. His posts should not be read... by anyone.
Last edited by Dragon585 on Aug 31, 2014, 10:28:21 AM
I would highly recommend this baby, right here. [Removed by Support] Perfect for home protection, easy to fire with little recoil for having two barrels and a whole lot of damage. [Removed by Support]
http://www.slickguns.com/product/double-barreled-ar-15-going-full-production-united-states
Last edited by Dan_GGG on Sep 1, 2014, 2:00:51 AM
Still waiting for a Glock vs 1911 flamewar. Come on guys, you can do it!
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped
Be ready. You're not paranoid, you're PREPARED.

I quit this game every few months and so should you to continue playing it in the future.

The device is believed to have been dropped

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info