Crit Flicker one-shot

I kinda agree with missue. 2 handed cycloners could kill just as fast. Sure it was not 1 hit, but several. In the end it resulted in death in far less than 1 second, so it's basicaly the same thing. And yet same thing with traps, EK, etc. The problem is that damage scales way to high compared to players HP in PvP. A whole damage revamp especially for PvP is needed. And every skill independently if they want to do it right. IMO it does not worthy it though, since even on a perfectly balanced enviroment, with similar geared players, skill based playing would still be destroyed by massive desync. Stick to PvE i guess.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
Poutsos wrote:
I kinda agree with missue. 2 handed cycloners could kill just as fast. Sure it was not 1 hit, but several. In the end it resulted in death in far less than 1 second, so it's basicaly the same thing. And yet same thing with traps, EK, etc. The problem is that damage scales way to high compared to players HP in PvP. A whole damage revamp especially for PvP is needed. And every skill independently if they want to do it right. IMO it does not worthy it though, since even on a perfectly balanced enviroment, with similar geared players, skill based playing would still be destroyed by massive desync. Stick to PvE i guess.

No one can expect a perfectly balanced pvp. You also wont be able to scale damage properly per skill. Because without criticals spells are pretty shitty. Without top top end weapons and great tree passives melee without criticals isn't fantastic depending on skill choice. These things have always ended up a pissing match with the end result being critical multiplier = imbalanced pvp AND pvm. There's a topic recently posted regarding daggers being #1 in the game at everything...and its true. Because criticals > everything else. It eases the min-maxing, it can net you kills without even being good as long as you land a hit.

Why do you think 99% of the population while dueling doesn't even give a crap about moving at all? They try to face plant into you, out tank you and get a critical rng dice roll. I know many will argue "duur datz skillz bro". No man, that type of pvp is shit. Good pvp is out ranging other players, out maneuvering them, out playing them. Not 1 shots or throwing yourself at people only to face tank til you critical. That can be achieved in this game, lower the crit multiplier further and up the base dmg of spells so people don't feel they need this much crit to do damage.

In pvm critical easily > non crit and daggers do it best. Next would be wanders but that's a completely different animal. Wanders are crap in pvp while daggers are without a doubt the best pvp build in the game, shield/evade/blind or not it doesn't matter. GGG has continued to implement ways for people to get around the only weakness dagger even had before. Just like they already implemented and keep implementing items that reduce HP while making ES low life pain attunement better and better (i.e chayula) Rather then balancing things out they make these things better. Instead of ES having a shortcoming in the form of being weak vs stun and status ailments at the cost of getting chaos immunity or pain attunement (among other things) they said fuck that, heres items you can easily use that have 0 draw back and trivialize anything you'd ever have to deal with if you go this route on the tree/gear.

Letting daggers use the block penetration gem is a good example of this. Thinking people should be able to survive 800+ multiplied damage without the items or tree to do so is bad. Thinking flasks are a way to balance out certain issues in pvp is bad. Thinking you can apply blind/enfeeble on a dagger before you die in 1 hit is bad design. Criticals even at 400% multiplier are too much but I can't see them toning it down any further then they have.

When you start to compare 2h to daggers or any other class in the game. You begin to notice how incomplete 2h is. 2h has no defense, no shield, dodges are on the other end of the tree and completely RNG. Hp achievable going 2h is only because of a legacy item piece that isn't even realistic to obtain anymore post beta unless you're rmting or play your ass off. The hp of a 2h'r effectively does not = or surpass using a shield, not even close. Everyone with a brain will tell you 2h is weak by design. Range of 2h is the same as 1h, the damage output of 2h is not enough to outweigh the advantages of using a shield. 1h crit melee with a shield > 2h. Just because a 2h'r with cyclone and multistrike hit you with 900 baby sized hits til you died really really fast. Does not make it as good or better then 1 button 1 hit killing people from across the screen with a skill that auto aims for you (flicker strike).

1h/shield caster > staff caster crit or not.
RT melee < critical melee in pvm.
Iron will caster < low life ES caster in pvm/pvp critical or not.
Critical caster > non critical caster in pvm/pvp.
Critical melee with a shield > RT melee shield or not.
2h Melee RT or Critical < Dagger
2h Melee RT or Critical < Crit caster unless you RNG phase acrobatics.

List goes on, criticals > path of exile.

You're right about playing smart < desynch. I've made that argument a lot in my time here. I know daggers and casters are bias toward critical multiplier. But its only because spells suck without it. Daggers have a really good base damage, great tree to compliment this and critical chance/multiplier for days. Criticals should really be capped at 2x damage in pvp. If certain things suck at only 2x damage multiplier well...the core design/skill was flawed to begin with. Fix it at the core and stop throwing shit at the wall. If spells blow without critical, up the base damage of the skills like you have been. I've compared this to Diablo 2 many times. I don't expect GGG to recode their entire game but honestly Diablo 2 did criticals right.

Game still needs a lot of work. Id say this recent patch was a good one but imo this games in a reaaaaaaaaally long beta phase.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Aug 30, 2014, 2:22:51 PM
I mostly agree with what you say, and definetely critical multiplier for weapons needs a massive nerf in PvP. My point is that all damage needs some nerf in PvP. Sure daggers more so, but others as well. People die in less than one second by a variety of skills/spells/weapons, and that does not leave much room for strategic play.
As for pvm, actually the #1 melee build was aegis aurora with soul taker or a mirrored sword. The equations shifted towards daggers with the introduction of atziri's acuity, atziri herself, and was augmented with the recent nerfs to block in general. But blockers still have the most lv100 melee players in all leagues.
And wanders are now more powerful than dagger users, by a good margin. That's why most T1 players respeced to wanders.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow
"
MullaXul wrote:
"
Poutsos wrote:

No one can expect a perfectly balanced pvp. You also wont be able to scale damage properly per skill. Because without criticals spells are pretty shitty. Without top top end weapons and great tree passives melee without criticals isn't fantastic depending on skill choice. These things have always ended up a pissing match with the end result being critical multiplier = imbalanced pvp AND pvm. There's a topic recently posted regarding daggers being #1 in the game at everything...and its true. Because criticals > everything else. It eases the min-maxing, it can net you kills without even being good as long as you land a hit.

Why do you think 99% of the population while dueling doesn't even give a crap about moving at all? They try to face plant into you, out tank you and get a critical rng dice roll. I know many will argue "duur datz skillz bro". No man, that type of pvp is shit. Good pvp is out ranging other players, out maneuvering them, out playing them. Not 1 shots or throwing yourself at people only to face tank til you critical. That can be achieved in this game, lower the crit multiplier further and up the base dmg of spells so people don't feel they need this much crit to do damage.

In pvm critical easily > non crit and daggers do it best. Next would be wanders but that's a completely different animal. Wanders are crap in pvp while daggers are without a doubt the best pvp build in the game, shield/evade/blind or not it doesn't matter. GGG has continued to implement ways for people to get around the only weakness dagger even had before. Just like they already implemented and keep implementing items that reduce HP while making ES low life pain attunement better and better (i.e chayula) Rather then balancing things out they make these things better. Instead of ES having a shortcoming in the form of being weak vs stun and status ailments at the cost of getting chaos immunity or pain attunement (among other things) they said fuck that, heres items you can easily use that have 0 draw back and trivialize anything you'd ever have to deal with if you go this route on the tree/gear.

Letting daggers use the block penetration gem is a good example of this. Thinking people should be able to survive 800+ multiplied damage without the items or tree to do so is bad. Thinking flasks are a way to balance out certain issues in pvp is bad. Thinking you can apply blind/enfeeble on a dagger before you die in 1 hit is bad design. Criticals even at 400% multiplier are too much but I can't see them toning it down any further then they have.

When you start to compare 2h to daggers or any other class in the game. You begin to notice how incomplete 2h is. 2h has no defense, no shield, dodges are on the other end of the tree and completely RNG. Hp achievable going 2h is only because of a legacy item piece that isn't even realistic to obtain anymore post beta unless you're rmting or play your ass off. The hp of a 2h'r effectively does not = or surpass using a shield, not even close. Everyone with a brain will tell you 2h is weak by design. Range of 2h is the same as 1h, the damage output of 2h is not enough to outweigh the advantages of using a shield. 1h crit melee with a shield > 2h. Just because a 2h'r with cyclone and multistrike hit you with 900 baby sized hits til you died really really fast. Does not make it as good or better then 1 button 1 hit killing people from across the screen with a skill that auto aims for you (flicker strike).

1h/shield caster > staff caster crit or not.
RT melee < critical melee in pvm.
Iron will caster < low life ES caster in pvm/pvp critical or not.
Critical caster > non critical caster in pvm/pvp.
Critical melee with a shield > RT melee shield or not.
2h Melee RT or Critical < Dagger
2h Melee RT or Critical < Crit caster unless you RNG phase acrobatics.

List goes on, criticals > path of exile.

You're right about playing smart < desynch. I've made that argument a lot in my time here. I know daggers and casters are bias toward critical multiplier. But its only because spells suck without it. Daggers have a really good base damage, great tree to compliment this and critical chance/multiplier for days. Criticals should really be capped at 2x damage in pvp. If certain things suck at only 2x damage multiplier well...the core design/skill was flawed to begin with. Fix it at the core and stop throwing shit at the wall. If spells blow without critical, up the base damage of the skills like you have been. I've compared this to Diablo 2 many times. I don't expect GGG to recode their entire game but honestly Diablo 2 did criticals right.

Game still needs a lot of work. Id say this recent patch was a good one but imo this games in a reaaaaaaaaally long beta phase.
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
I would recommend tempest shield+blind, smoke mine, high block, enfeeble, maybe bear trap to lock them in place? a totem/guardian for them to flicker to (if they are using multistrike)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info