[1.2.x] Slammin' Pillared Templar (Pillar of the Caged God + Ground Slam CHEAP and NEWBIE FRIENDLY)

The tree:

First build guide so lets see how well I do.

Everyone here remembers their first Unique drop. Mine was Pillar of the Caged God. I've always found it amazing that one item can be so relevant from level 13 all the way to end game. Not only does this new passive tree provide better survivability, but it also seemed to increase DPS for what is my absolute favorite build.

One can get by on a 4 link Pillar of the Caged God (RRRB)utilizing Cast on Melee Kill, Iron Will, Ground Slam, and Firestorm which works for mob clear. I also use Heavy Strike for single target. Alot of the equipment you find along the way will work fine, but personally I invested 3 Chaos Orbs, 2 Orb of Fusings, and an Orb of Alchemy to maximize my damage early on.

1 Chaos was spent on Meginord's Vise. These armor-bearing Steel Gauntlets give a whopping 100 strength bonus in addition to boosting your physical damage, giving Pillar a whopping 170% increase in Physical Damage.

1 Chaos went to purchasing Meginord's Girdle. This Heavy Belt, when perfectly rolled, gives 70 Strength, increases your health by 10%, and helps your flasks deliver just a little faster. Not only that, but it also gives a decent amount of Cold Resistance. Arguments can be made, however, for The Magnate. Slightly more expensive, but definitely worth the boost in Physical Damage.

1 Chaos purchased a Kaom's Sign Coral Ring. This gave me a boost in Life Leech, 32% increased damage on PotCG and some life for better survival early on. Also, it's a Challenge item, so hold on to it!

1 Fusing went to purchasing Lioneye's Paws. These boots when rolled perfect provide your Pillar with 96% increase in Physical Damage, as well as a 6% increase in Attack Speed. The 20% Move Speed bonus helps a lot in clearing maps fast, and in my experience with enough Life Leech the drawback of being low life is non-existent. Just be sure to keep flasks handy just in case.

1 Fusing went to purchasing Deidbell. What a great levelling helmet! 68% total increase in damage, plus 6% Attack Speed. Again, I've never had issues with low life in the early levels because my damage is so ridiculously high I 1-2 shot everything with a combination of Ground Slam and/or Heavy Strike.

1 Orb of Alchemy bought me Blackheart Iron Ring. I highly recommend Le Heup of All, but unfortunately the price is just too damn high! Blackheart is a cheap alternative.

Leave any comments below, I love constructive criticism! Let me know your thoughts. Also if someone could PM me how to add my equipment pictures instead of the long wall of text I'd greatly appreciate it!

EDIT: I can't take full credit for this. Cantilever originally gave the combo (that I'm aware of) and I just adapted it to the new tree. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/937698/page/1
Last edited by gantiri on Aug 28, 2014, 3:10:59 AM
Reserved for Item/Gem build once I figure out how to do it ;P
I'm working on a similar build, so here are my thoughts about CoMK with pillar (this will probably be quite rambling).

CoMK works best when you are using supports which benefit both the attack and the spell. Unfortunately Iron Will doesn't do that (however it might still be worth using). Conc-effect with groundslam + an AoE spell seems like a good combination. Later if you get a 5-link you could consider using Ground Slam + CoMK + Glacial Cascade + Added Fire + Conc-Effect (+ Iron Will).

The biggest problem with CoMK seems to be that you need so many links to use it well. For that reason I think that Summon Raging Spirits could be a good spell to use because it can benefit from all of the melee attack supports and it solves the problem of CoMK not hitting anything. (meaning that CoMK is often triggered when the entire pack is dead so the spell has no real effect on your DPS. Raging Spirits will quickly move to the next pack and help you kill that too.)

For a melee attack I really like Infernal Blow, unfortunately you need to support it with melee splash for it too be useful.
I see some stupid things in your tree :)
PotCG give you
16% phys ea 10str
1% ias ea 10dex
1% AoE ea 20 int
So you grab on the start the melee ophys nodes 10% instead of the str nodes ,you can receive in this way more dmg same with a bunch of dex nodes if you grab 1 30% node you gain 3% but you can pick the 4% at mara and duelist start and of course Berserking the AoE nodes at the templar are more than 2 times 30int nodes...
3. i think you need some resist nodes it is hard to cap without a shield and
maybe the Staves block nodes are a good choice too
here my suggestion based on your tree
Last edited by retlom on Aug 28, 2014, 7:33:50 PM
"
retlom wrote:
I see some stupid things in your tree :)
PotCG give you
16% phys ea 10str
1% ias ea 10dex
1% AoE ea 20 int
So you grab on the start the melee ophys nodes 10% instead of the str nodes ,you can receive in this way more dmg same with a bunch of dex nodes if you grab 1 30% node you gain 3% but you can pick the 4% at mara and duelist start and of course Berserking the AoE nodes at the templar are more than 2 times 30int nodes...
3. i think you need some resist nodes it is hard to cap without a shield and
maybe the Staves block nodes are a good choice too
here my suggestion based on your tree

While I agree I made an error in the beginning of my tree, your lack of Intelligence nodes hinders the build in that Firestorm can't level passed 8, severely decreasing the damage output. Also the attack speed nodes make more sense than the dexterity nodes. I'll see if I can tweak the original tree a little better to reflect this. Thanks for the help!
ohh yeah forgot about firestorm sorry :)
I think you need Unwavering Stance, it's pretty hard to Ground Slam without it. For defense get the 13% block from the Whirling Barrier.

Here is a build,

This has 103 int, but if you need more, you can take out the 2 minor AoE nodes and put it into the int node and Elementalist. That would be another 22 int, which would be 122 and is more than enough with items to cap Firestorm's requirement.

101 Points,

I think from there you can go into, for 105 points into either one of these..

Celestial Walker - Elemental damage and resists
Arsonist - Fire dmg and life regen
Blunt Instrument and IAS node - Phys dmg, life, armor
Path of the Warrior - Life, armor, strength
Sentinel and Elementalist - Elemental damage, int, and resists
We're all just walkin' through this darkness on our own.
Last edited by Constraint on Aug 29, 2014, 5:56:37 AM
"
Constraint wrote:
I think you need Unwavering Stance, it's pretty hard to Ground Slam without it. For defense get the 13% block from the Whirling Barrier.

Unwavering is only important before you get 3,5k life after you have that much life you only get stunned by Roha, Bears, Big Skellis, Leapers and some hard hitters. but its really rare personal i never use it i pop IC & Granite on roha or Leapers works well :) im Currently at lvl 60 in Beyond with the Pillar GS build
[Current Tree]http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEAAdwLYRRNFFIZLho4G_ol3ycvJ-0xnjIJNZI62D38R35KLkrITdhN41W1Vw1YY1nzXz9lTWwWbEZuaW6qcmxyqXgNeWh8u3zZgziE2YcZjHaMz5BVns2iAKQZpKymV6eEp6WpbqyqtfK5Q7yfvoq-p8AawQTEuMWKxtjSIdX42L3ZYeOf7DjtRO8O73zwH_Iv9kj8S_6P[/spoiler]

next 10 lvls i go for endurance charges my dps without Abyssus is 3k 4l GS (GS/add phys/add fire/endurance charge on stun with abyssus i may double it :) but im scared about 40% more dmg
I have been doing this build, currently lvl 63 on merciless with max res on all.

3k armour and 1.2k dps unbuffed. (I used to have 1.8k unbuffed but i had to get some res etc)

It's not the best TBH, and it scales extremely damn bad.

Only physical added damage on rings, necks and such increases the damage and when you got that youre pretty much limited.

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAxYqvbIrkm-yExPAfAnEEsxRNqWiiABhdfLvsODrYkFWnhBo4Ywu1BOQiKU-XAclnFm8abONqNukkqsT2PQ8kiyfthxlsFvxLSi4XL_rSZOeApFXW2aI0MaelfNlyqayq5FFnm9SPGS45Dqlz2WEx-5tYXz9_4-8OJy_jn_IvpKy8n2vZwQQU9oY7NI7_0xiRUEcUIKcwAecnIK3koRtW2TpSNugOPJ_LRmlYr331xBWkGQHcvop4DYdq4up07YTvYSEFLWBLeu-cJ_k07hSGYCku8ax8uA==

Theres my skillbuild..

https://www.poebuilder.com/character/AAAAAgUAxYqvbIrkm-yExPAfAnEEsxRNqWiiABhdfLvsODrYkFWnhBo4Ywu1BOQiKU-XAclnFm8abONqNukkqsT2PQ8kiyfthxlsFvxLSi4XL_rSZOeApFXW2aI0MaelfNlyqayq5FFnm9SPGS45Dqlz2WEx-5tYXz9_4-8OJy_jn_IvpKy8n2vZwQQU9oY7NI7_0xiRUEcUIKcwAec26EZpWK999cQVpBkB3L6KeA2HauLqdO2E72EhBS1gS3rvKS7xrHy4hylTpQxfHKfGrjwtGNfYvf4Ktz4xnqZXOuHyRQ==

"
EmilG wrote:

Only physical added damage on rings, necks and such increases the damage and when you got that youre pretty much limited.

yeah its basically the same like facebreaker but better because more skills 460str is 750%phys dmg
dont forget the uniques with +min-max phys like BoR(dont have it) and

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info