[1.2.0] Lord of Ice — Crit Icespear(60k effective dps/ VP /EB / Herald of ice/ Freeze everything! )

Vaal cold snap is a great bonus for insta-freeze a huge group (i.e., opening strong boxes), and with the extra cold nodes, it does a huge amount of damage as well.
"
npokorny wrote:
Vaal cold snap is a great bonus for insta-freeze a huge group (i.e., opening strong boxes), and with the extra cold nodes, it does a huge amount of damage as well.

I have to disagree here. I tried VCS and it sucks. trap - normal cold snap has a higher freeze rate as you can throw 3 traps (and repeat after the cooldown). Freeze duration and therefor the chance to make it past the freeze threshold vs rares and bosses is also higher with normal CS as the base damage is higher than that of the Vaal version.
Is it possible to run this as a cast on crit build? For your 6L instead, have Ice Spear - LMP - Spell Echo - Cast on Crit - 2 more spells(arctic breath, freezing pulse, arc, or fireball). I feel like you can stick to the same passive tree and benefit from all the cold damage by restorting to arctic breath and freezing pulse.
Last edited by trwong93 on Sep 2, 2014, 6:57:43 AM
Can you post some vids? Yours is a really interesting build.
You seriously want to have cold penetration in your 6l. It is such a huge bonus that its silly to not use it. I know the tooltip dps will drop, but running a cold spell w/o cold penetration is a big mistake. The way resists work in this game cold pen is usually a huge damage multiplier for many enemies.

Do some research about how resists are figured in this game - a monster w/ 150% cold res will cap at 75% res, and after ele weakness will still be at like 110% res, or still 75%. However cold pen will reduce it to below 50% res, since it doesnt matter how overcapped monsters are for the penetration calculation. If you do 100 damage, monster 1 will take 25 damage w/ 75 res and monster 2 will take 50 damage w/ 50 res. So you are doubling your dps this way, even though the tooltip is lower.

Seriously. Cold pen. Use it.
"
SpaceJanitor wrote:
You seriously want to have cold penetration in your 6l. It is such a huge bonus that its silly to not use it. I know the tooltip dps will drop, but running a cold spell w/o cold penetration is a big mistake. The way resists work in this game cold pen is usually a huge damage multiplier for many enemies.

Do some research about how resists are figured in this game - a monster w/ 150% cold res will cap at 75% res, and after ele weakness will still be at like 110% res, or still 75%. However cold pen will reduce it to below 50% res, since it doesnt matter how overcapped monsters are for the penetration calculation. If you do 100 damage, monster 1 will take 25 damage w/ 75 res and monster 2 will take 50 damage w/ 50 res. So you are doubling your dps this way, even though the tooltip is lower.

Seriously. Cold pen. Use it.

Its a arguable calculation question. In fact, I know very well how resistance works and I never think that the tooltip is everything. Indeed, cold penetration gem can provide about 140% dps buff against 75% cold resistance monster, 70% dps buff against 50% cold resistantce monster and 35% dps buff against 0% cold resistance monster.

However, compared to add lightning damage gem, i prefer the later because of its eternal 50% dps buff by shock and its additional lighnting damage which also provides alternative damage against high cold resistantce monster.

We have nearly 100% critical chance, so the incresed critical damage is a huge buff(about 60% in my case). This makes it more previleged than cold penetration.

Fast casting and spell echo are maybe less beneficial than cold penetration in terms of dps. But they are important for maintaining a high cast speed to freeze enemies as soon as possible and leech more quickly.

In addition, the use of add lightning damage makes cold penetration less beneficial.

I agree with u on cold penetration's huge damage buff and I have my reasons to use the posted gem combination

Last edited by Lelouchzqy on Sep 2, 2014, 5:34:44 PM
"
jmbawagan wrote:
Can you post some vids? Yours is a really interesting build.

Sorry, I don't know how to make video. I will try to learn that and make a video later if i have time :)
Really cool build, i run it atm. But i killing myself many times against monsters with "reflect elemental damages" when i open a strongbox with vaal molten shell (one shot for them and me^^).
So i use "lightning warp" after open a box, just to check what kind of monsters it is, i reduce my deaths like that.

Thanks for the build!

Hi im trying out this build at the moment.. can u recommend me what chest to use to improve a litte bit more def or survivability.. ty in advance.
Great build btw ^^
So Far.. So Good
Defiance Laquered Garb is always a good choice for caster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info