Note to Chris: Why I'm quitting PoE

I can't really say I agree with the OP in all regards, but after more than a year in CB (on and off) and all the additions to the skill tree I feel like there's a lot less really viable options than there used to be if you want to A) play HC or B) play endgame.

Unlike the OP, I'm optimistic that the devs will continue to tweak and balance things in a way that makes for more fun and useful choices in the skill tree.
oh dog all the whiners please yes go away to d3 or tl2, if you dont find a it entertaining to play a game then dont, but it's ur own fault of not thinking and coping some others builds instead of perfecting your own with GEAR GEMS and some minor passive tree changes.

Its a hard end game, if you like it for the story only, great, play trough once and move along.
I can't speak directly about CI, because I don't think I've ever built a character using that skill, but I have noticed the general trend you're talking about.

I think the problem with making the gap between character power and monster power smaller, leaving so little room for error, is that you're limiting build diversity. The 1300+ nodes on the tree become less and less attractive, as you become more and more pigeonholed into a certain min/max build. It's good to have people like Krip testing the game, but balancing an end game with people like him in mind, is in my opinion, a bad thing. A majority of the player base doesn't want to have graph paper, and formulas beside them, dissecting the minutia of the game at every turn. Obviously a game like this with the skill tree that's in place, will require some sort of pre-planning in order to have a decent build, but from my perspective, it's starting to go too far.

I'm still going to stick around and play the game, I had several characters in closed beta at or above 60, but I can say that I'm having less and less fun with the game. The environments and monsters, while good, are mostly common monster designs, most of which you can find in a lot of other games. The attraction I had to this game is the skills and the skill tree, and when that starts to become more and more limited, so do the things that keep me coming back for more.
"
BetuUuUu wrote:
The point is, You can't change the gameplay all time like D3, changing what was fun to play in something painful and frustrating.

I see where you're coming from, and I do think that CI is too weak right now, but this is the whole point of the beta. Changing skills, tweaking them to see what's good.
i'm just about done with this thing too because the loot is utter GARBAGE. i am almost level 50 and still using level 25-30 gear because nothing ever drops no matter how much I farm. it's Diablo 3 all over again.
i mean, getting nothing but items with 2 linked sockets is just a slap in the face, especially when you consider how retarded is the whole re-forging links and socket color system is. you never get anything the way you want it yet the orbs needed never drop as well.
quest rewards are always the same stupid useless gems
the "8 minute" waypoint/map systems sucks hard
it's like these developers are punishing people for playing their video game.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you return some day to a more balanced game.

The current game balance is in a very bad way, imo. We had a mostly functioning game with a few (albeit significant) balance concerns. The approach taken with v.10 seems to be trying to tackle the symptoms, and does so with too many synergistic changes to be able to properly troubleshoot and provide feedback as to what was the root cause. Take CI for example: gear nerf, on the back of a keystone nerf, on the back of a significant buff to enemies, on the back of a huge content update. So where exactly are we supposed to start to really begin addressing balance issues surrounding ES and CI?

I accept this, and realize that v.10 is for all intents and purposes a brand new meta, rather than an update to the old meta. It'll be sorted out before too long (I hope).
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
leopard2lx wrote:
i'm just about done with this thing too because the loot is utter GARBAGE. i am almost level 50 and still using level 25-30 gear because nothing ever drops no matter how much I farm. it's Diablo 3 all over again.
i mean, getting nothing but items with 2 linked sockets is just a slap in the face, especially when you consider how retarded is the whole re-forging links and socket color system is. you never get anything the way you want it yet the orbs needed never drop as well.
quest rewards are always the same stupid useless gems
the "8 minute" waypoint/map systems sucks hard
it's like these developers are punishing people for playing their video game.

I think it is you that is 'utter GARBAGE'.

I assume you never check your vendors. You don't know the vendor recipes that are relatively easy to use to accumulate crafting mats. You ignore white items. OR you expect gear to make the game easy for you. Having great gear can only take you so far in this game, you also need skill. This is completely different from D3 where you actually didn't need any skill.... just gear. Maybe you should go back there.
"
thepmrc wrote:

I assume you never check your vendors. You don't know the vendor recipes that are relatively easy to use to accumulate crafting mats. You ignore white items. OR you expect gear to make the game easy for you. Having great gear can only take you so far in this game, you also need skill. This is completely different from D3 where you actually didn't need any skill.... just gear. Maybe you should go back there.

Honestly PoE is not a very skill-intensive game. It is more based around knowledge than skill. The most important thing, next to of course gear is a proper build, which is the problem which is, although in the wrong way, addressed here. There are a lot builds that just vanished from existance because they are not viable any more and on the other hand there are not many new stuff coming. So the diversity of builds is decreasing since the first skilldrasil-change which removed the 3rd starting-point.

My personal opinion is that I would not mind cookie-cutter builds which just cut through the content, if that means that a lot more builds are actually able to compete with the endgame-content.

I guess that new skills with open up new possibilities and give skills more of a supportive or a core-role. A lot of people were unhappy with not being able to build core-discharge build, but discharge still can support your damage at times. Also Flicker-Strike and Cold-Snap got more supportive, which also makes sense, but it also means that the core-skills are fewer than before and right now some of the skills are in a terrible shape exspecially if you compare them to other skills.

So I would sum it up as "There is still a lot of work to do."
Let me be more clear,

1- I'm not saying that i think the game is too hard to me, ím saying that nerfs can make the game boring

2- Yes, I liked the build, this is why you play the game, because something makes you like the game, for me is the fast attack stuff like flicker strike.

what I'm saying is: I dont agree with changes that make >>Fun<< builds unplayable!!( AND THIS DOESNT MEAN MAKE THE GAME EASY, got it now??? )

And: """"I just tried to filled your nerf with all skillpoints possible of ES that you guys nerfed in my Shadow Class, and after 1.5 week playing and waiting to use my build I see that I can't as easy as I could before(actually now its crazy, and its a non-PVP build), and I'm frustrated with this, I can only finish the game on this build with super rare item to play that I dont even see on trade chat!!!!"""""

This thread was made to be a early alert only, I'm not trying to say to all here "the game sucks and I quit", the nerf made my gameplay boring just this, and now I have to do all over again until lvl 60(wich was painful because I had to save all my respec points to make my current build ) and my choice is not doing it.

Devs can nerf everything since they keep the fun of the game
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
thepmrc wrote:

Honestly PoE is not a very skill-intensive game. It is more based around knowledge than skill. The most important thing, next to of course gear is a proper build, which is the problem which is, although in the wrong way, addressed here. There are a lot builds that just vanished from existance because they are not viable any more and on the other hand there are not many new stuff coming. So the diversity of builds is decreasing since the first skilldrasil-change which removed the 3rd starting-point.

My personal opinion is that I would not mind cookie-cutter builds which just cut through the content, if that means that a lot more builds are actually able to compete with the endgame-content.

I guess that new skills with open up new possibilities and give skills more of a supportive or a core-role. A lot of people were unhappy with not being able to build core-discharge build, but discharge still can support your damage at times. Also Flicker-Strike and Cold-Snap got more supportive, which also makes sense, but it also means that the core-skills are fewer than before and right now some of the skills are in a terrible shape exspecially if you compare them to other skills.

So I would sum it up as "There is still a lot of work to do."

Yeah they have a lot of work to do, I'm not judging them because of this, its because that build was the only thing that made me play the game again, I was playing with Templar but got bored and stopped to play for months, then tried this build and loved it! Now I cant do the fun things, if its not the focus of them its ok, I was hoping more action on this game but ok if they prefer like this...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info