Benefits of Full-Clearing Maps?

In most ARPG's, I full-clear all map areas, but I do so mostly from additional XP gain, and possible loot acquired from doing so, along with just exploring the content developers created :)

In PoE, I read somewhere that if your level is (I think) 3 levels higher than the map area, you get penalized on how much loot drops in the area. Not sure if there is any other penalties or not, but is there any reason why this exists?
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
It's really to stop people levelling up, then staying in a low level area for easy farm.

GGG don't want peoples farming experience to be about 1 shotting all the terrace mobs.

The penalty rate increases the higher levcel you are. At 3 levels higher, its only a small reduction in drops and exp.

The higher you go, the more losses.

The only exception is the endgame system called 'maps' (which I assume you are not talking about).

I am not sure on the details, but when you play on level 68 maps, and you are higher level, the game treats your character as if it is level 68 instead of 75 or whatever. This is so people can still farm the highest level content available.
"Minions of your minions are your minion's minions, not your minions." - Mark
there's a penalty on currency drops only when your character is out-levelling the area.
gear should still drop and be capped at the area level etc as usual.
"
ciknay wrote:
It's really to stop people levelling up, then staying in a low level area for easy farm.

GGG don't want peoples farming experience to be about 1 shotting all the terrace mobs.

The penalty rate increases the higher levcel you are. At 3 levels higher, its only a small reduction in drops and exp.

The only exception is the endgame system called 'maps' (which I assume you are not talking about).

I am not sure on the details, but when you play on level 68 maps, and you are higher level, the game treats your character as if it is level 68 instead of 75 or whatever. This is so people can still farm the highest level content available.

AFAIK there is only a penalty on currency drops- 2.5% per level starting when you are 2 (?) levels above the area.

There are no penalties on loot.
All the things I want to remember are in the places I'd like to forget.
Just seeing if this is still the same case with the game's release.

"
ciknay wrote:
...The penalty rate increases the higher levcel you are. At 3 levels higher, its only a small reduction in drops and exp.

Hmm, so it affects currency drops and experience?
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Oct 28, 2013, 5:49:15 AM
"
Espionage724 wrote:

Yes, exactly.

Also, remember that since you can only enter and leave a map a total of 6 times, full-clearing it before you head out for the first time means you can maximize the quality of loot you bring back with you.
If I have two fish, and you have three fish, how many fish do we have?
None. These are MY fish.
Could this be the reason why my Lv25 Shadow isn't getting any good drops on anything in Act 2? LOL I never even thought of an item drop % penalty with my character being "over-leveled". This must be why I'm getting nothing from any map I travel to being 3-8 levels above the map level listed on the world map screen. That's seriously uncool... I thought I was just being efficient on my experience gain and gem leveling.
"
jce3000gt wrote:
Could this be the reason why my Lv25 Shadow isn't getting any good drops on anything in Act 2? LOL I never even thought of an item drop % penalty with my character being "over-leveled". This must be why I'm getting nothing from any map I travel to being 3-8 levels above the map level listed on the world map screen. That's seriously uncool... I thought I was just being efficient on my experience gain and gem leveling.

No. The penalty only affect the drop rate of currency items - scrolls, orbs, and the like. Normal items still drop in their normal quality ranges at the same rate. Additionally, you should note that your gems level without penalty. So playing in an area leveled lower than you decreases the amount of experience you gain from monsters, but not the amount of experience your gems gain.
If I have two fish, and you have three fish, how many fish do we have?
None. These are MY fish.
"
Hellpyre wrote:
"
jce3000gt wrote:

No. The penalty only affect the drop rate of currency items - scrolls, orbs, and the like. Normal items still drop in their normal quality ranges at the same rate. Additionally, you should note that your gems level without penalty. So playing in an area leveled lower than you decreases the amount of experience you gain from monsters, but not the amount of experience your gems gain.

Oh that's good to hear about the gem experience. :) One question I have remaining is do the currency items also include gems? Or are they under the normal items category?
"
Hellpyre wrote:
"
Espionage724 wrote:

Yes, exactly.

Also, remember that since you can only enter and leave a map a total of 6 times, full-clearing it before you head out for the first time means you can maximize the quality of loot you bring back with you.

Will I eventually be able to reach a point where I don't out-level content?

Like say I'm level 24 in The Crossroads in Act 2 and out-level the area by 7 levels. If I continue on normally (normal being fully clearing areas encountered at least once), will I eventually get my level range close to the map level due to the lower XP gain?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info