Dangerous map bosses list for new players to refer to while exploring map system

Spoiler
List went through some changes while it was in offtopic section so we can make it better. this is kind of final version so i post it here now

Disclaimer: there is no shame in skipping/not killing map bosses. Risk/reward as it is, to be honest map bosses drop not so good loot.

The purpose of this list is to be a quick info on whether or not to do the boss in certain maps. There are many people who just got to do maps and don't want to waste time/exp or die at all (must be brave to try to learn the game on HC thou). So they get new map drop, check this list if it has troublesome boss and saving time. Ofcourse they can decide to fight the boss anyway, then this list provides minimum information on what to expect. Althought it's not intended to be a guide on how to kill bosses. There are plenty of youtube vids on boss strategy, often deep enough. When it comes to strategy, it's better to see once than to read several times.

Supposed to be hard but doable anyway without deadly map mods:

thicket(67) (rain of arrows)
wharf(67) (heavy chaos/physical damage with multiple projectiles)
ghetto(68) (perpetus - bear trap, etherial knives results in heavy physical damage)
spider lair(68) (black death - heavy physical damage, flicker strike)
overgrown shrine(69) (black death - heavy physical damage, flicker strike)
promenade(69) (lightning thorns, hard hitting melee boss)
spider forest(69) (hillock, leap slam, summons zombies with poison cloud on death)
villa(70) (fire trap, lightning trap, bear trap)
colonnade(71) (kole - ground slam)
shrine(77) (piety - 1st phase: lightning ball, lightning storm, arc, 2nd phase: same as 1st phase with breaks when she enters red or blue portal, transforming into melee fire form or ice shot ranged form with multiple projectiles. also summons miscreations)
temple(71) (caster form of piety - lightning ball, lightning storm, arc)

Hard for most builds except the ones that have either invincibility mechanics like immortal call 24/7 or high resists under flasks/purity of X auras and stuff like CI. Also get much harder with addition of even 1 damage oriented map mod:

museum(68) (triple miscreations from dominus)
orchard(66) (devourer with insane damage)
jungle valley(72) (weaver, heavy chaos damage, constantly spawning weaker spiders)
labyrinth(72) (plumed chimeral, uses Etherial knives, devours corpses to regain life and summons devourers)
torture chamber(72) (lots of lightning damage+degen damage from lightning ray, warping totems that leave shocking ground)
cells(73) (Voidbearer (fire dog) with multiple projectiles)
residence(74) (dominus 1st form - lightnng spirits spell, touch of god melee aoe attack,leaves shocked ground on teleportation, summons miscreations, casts suicide curse)
academy(76) (lorenado, CWDT cyclones)
crematorium(76) (firefury, firestorm, fire trap, summons skeletons)
courtyard(78) (Triple unique Blackguards from the Upper sceptre of god. 1: Cyclones, deals extra cold damage, leaves chilling ground behind. 2: Leap slam, Fire form of lightning strike, extra fire damage. 3: Casts lightning warp. Places spark totems)

Bosses not worth doing at all unless you have OP gear and possibly mechanics from previous list:

palace(78) (dominus)

Hope it helps
Last edited by silentwrath888 on Jun 25, 2014, 1:42:57 AM
Never had problems with Cells Doge.

Always had problems with Piety (both Shrine and Temple)

Academy book throwing guy has been beyond easy. His tornadoes hit for almost nothing if you have a decent amount of armour, life and regen / leech.

Fire Fury is a pain but more doable than inaccessible. Just knowing to avoid her Firestorm is half the battle won.
"
Never had problems with Cells Doge.

Always had problems with Piety (both Shrine and Temple)

Academy book throwing guy has been beyond easy. His tornadoes hit for almost nothing if you have a decent amount of armour, life and regen / leech.

Fire Fury is a pain but more doable than inaccessible. Just knowing to avoid her Firestorm is half the battle won.

Many bosses become harder/easier depends on what build you are using. I want to keep the build archetypes vs bosses discussion out of this topic if possible as it's not the point of the list. Thanks
Last edited by silentwrath888 on Jun 25, 2014, 1:24:54 AM
"
Many bosses become harder/easier depends on what build you are using. I want to keep the build archetypes vs bosses discussion out of this topic if possible as it's not the point of the list. Thanks

Since when did I bring build archetypes into the discussion?

And how exactly did you get the impression of which builds are easy or hard?

OH RIGHT, YOU PLAYED A BUILD.

How the hell don't you see the amazing irony?

EDIT: Or maybe I should simplify this discussion for you: My post is just saying your list is wrong.
Last edited by elitedesolator on Jun 25, 2014, 1:28:53 AM
"
The Academy boss is really hard to do that for though, because in my experience he's either a complete pushover or utterly terrifying depending on your build, with basically no middle ground. Can you not just put him in the first category with a note to this effect?

Also agree with second post - Cells boss doesn't even deserve to be on the first list IMO (yeah, he deals loads of damage, but is super squishy and easily survivable), and Maegara is mostly just time-consuming and annoying if you don't stand in the same spot and let the Firestorms stack up.

Finally, I'd suggest that Courtyard deserves to be on the first list. Obviously they're pushovers relative to Palace Dominus, but they can still demolish you if you don't have the gear for them.

Looks good otherwise.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
"
viperesque wrote:
The Academy boss is really hard to do that for though, because in my experience he's either a complete pushover or utterly terrifying depending on your build, with basically no middle ground. Can you not just put him in the first category with a note to this effect?

Care to elaborate?

From the builds I've played the Academy boss was a complete pushover. What builds would suck against him?
"
"
viperesque wrote:

Care to elaborate?

From the builds I've played the Academy boss was a complete pushover. What builds would suck against him?
From the builds I've played personally, I've had trouble with RF, CoC (multiple variants) and Discharge (multiple variants). Mjolner also hasn't been that great, but doable. The common theme is that these builds don't have enormous quantities of leech/LGoH against single targets - enough for most bosses, but the tornadoes stack up the point where you can't survive them, and of course you can't really dodge them either.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Last edited by viperesque on Jun 25, 2014, 1:44:53 AM
"
viperesque wrote:
From the builds I've played personally, I've had trouble with RF, CoC (multiple variants) and Discharge (multiple variants). Mjolner also hasn't been that great, but doable. The common theme is that these builds don't have enormous quantities of leech/LGoH against single targets - enough for most bosses, but the tornadoes stack up the point where you can't survive them, and of course you can't really dodge them either.

Hm interesting.

Might it also be that the characters you mentioned didn't have enough damage to down him quickly enough?

From my experience the tornadoes take a sweet while to stack up.
Last edited by elitedesolator on Jun 25, 2014, 1:50:05 AM
"
"
viperesque wrote:

Hm interesting.

Might it also be that the characters you mentioned didn't have enough damage to down him quickly enough?

From what i know it's cast when damage taken with low damage treshold so depends on the build. 1000 needles builds have a hard time there
"
"
viperesque wrote:

Hm interesting.

Yeah, it's probably a combination. As you probably noticed, all the builds I mentioned are very much focused on AOE clear and don't have the absolute best single-target damage, but at the same time I've died to the tornadoes in as little as ten seconds on builds with very low armour. They do stack up reasonably quickly - you might just not have noticed if you've only played builds with high leech, because they won't dent you regardless.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info