Snapshotting

Okay, So i'm a bit confused about the Righteous Fire part.

Does that mean that If I cast RF with my searing touch
and then swap to other weapon, RF's damage will be
recalculated according to the new weapon?

And If you remove the gem, it is recalculated without supports,
and If you put back the gem, it is again recalculated?

In my opinion, removing snapshotting is a great choice.
I never really liked the idea because it felt like cheating.

"
GodlyMe wrote:
About the changes to Righteous Fire, if I understand correctly, when you cast RF with a,b,c support gems, then remove RF, the benefits from a,b,c supports persist until placed in an item with x,y,z support gems at which point RF will gain the benefits of x,y,z supports.

Is this correct?
Not quite. If you put the RF gem into a different item with different supports, that will give you a new instance of the RF skill, different to the one that was used to case the currently active effect. nothing will update.

If you put the gem back in the same socket it was removed from, then it's the same skill, and it will update to any of the supports that have changed in the meantime, and continue to do so for future support changes.

"
GodlyMe wrote:
If so it doesn't hold true to the whole "burning to death" philosophy.

IMO the benefits that RF has gained from the supports should persist indefinitely, no matter what you do with the gems in the interim, until it is recast, at which point RF gains the benefits of whatever supports are linked to it at that time.
That would a) be snapshotting, and b) not be affecting the burning to death - there are no support gems in the game currently that affect the self burn.
The "burning to death" philosophy is that you should not be able to turn off the skill by removing the gem. Allowing it to correctly update based on support changes, when able, does not impact that.

"
From my understanding of extreme RF snapshotting, it involves low life Pain Attunement 2 Redbeaks, plus the switching of gear such as a 6L Carcass to boost the damage and then switching back to your normal armour.

Which part or parts are going to be fixed?

EDIT: OK I read it again (reading comprehension pro here). So my conclusion is that none of it would work anymore for RF?
Correct.
"
gilrad wrote:
So does this mean gear swapping is still somewhat alive for Righteous Fire?

-Equip a +1 Tabula Rasa with Righteous Fire linked in,

-Cast Righteous Fire

-Swap the TR for a Kaom's Heart

-You now have the benefit of a six-linked chest skill on your Kaom's. Even better, if it's not a legacy, your fire damage gets updated!
That is currently correct. Ideally we'd like it to notice the supports being removed and update, but because the active skill gem is gone at that point, it can't tell what supports are linked to it. There might be changes to this in future, but for now, this is correct.
"
1988288 wrote:
You guys should probably look at Montreguls and buff it after the snapshot fix, as it makes you lose nearly half total DPS.
It gives no benefit and drawback is too high. Can't really call 500 life and resists (that already are maxed out) a huge bonus, nor the explosions makes up for the lost damage.

90k dps with 4 zombies (that is montreguls), 160k dps with 9 zombies. DPS loss probably is even higher with lvl 20/20 (or higher) gems.
Could you please share how you calculated these numbers?
Have you not found the zombie life bonus from the item significant in your play?
"
De3p wrote:

This guy has got to be trolling

yup. that's it. a logical, fact-based argument stating the position and pointing out a contradiction/double-standard? NOPE, MUST BE TROLLING!

[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
"
robmafia wrote:
"
De3p wrote:

This guy has got to be trolling

yup. that's it. a logical, fact-based argument stating the position and pointing out a contradiction/double-standard? NOPE, MUST BE TROLLING!

lol
"
DestroTheGod wrote:
Basically, the decision making process falls short for summoners.
I'd somewhat agree. The "standard" summoner is really boring to me, since the path and method of approach is so cut and dry, in regards to what you should do.

Personally, I'd really like to see summoner/melee or caster hybrid improved a bit beyond "Use Arc to cull", since it would allow for more interesting (or at least diverse) summoner builds.

I'd suggest giving way to specialize in very specific summon types - skeleton, animated, zombie, etc, rather than having passives that are just "+1 zombie, +1 skeleton, and I don't fucking know, chaos resistance?". Doing such would allow the individual nodes to be stronger, letting people who just want to partially spec into summoning get full-strength (summon X), for a point cost that doesn't cripple the rest of their build. Totem nodes would be a decent example, as you can get reasonably decent totems (if you go near clusters anyway) for a small handful of skill points.
I have a legit question:

Is this being coupled with buffs to raise the bar a bit, or is this mostly an anti-power-creep patch?
"
this still literally makes no sense/is inconsistent.

so the gems are equipped but the items the gems are in aren't? yeah, ok.

also, you're now using 2 completely different definitions of "swap" - the one used to define snapshotting explicitly stated unequipping items and changing gems; neither of which happen in this instance.

using the definition from page 1, this isn't snapshotting.

Think about it this way: You don't have four arms with which to carry 2 swords AND 2 shields at the same time, but what you can do is put one sword and shield on your back and walk around with the other sword and shield. As a result, the gems in the sword/shield on your back are still 'on' you, just not currently being wielded in combat.

If that doesn't make sense to you, nothing will.
"
robmafia wrote:
this still literally makes no sense/is inconsistent.

so the gems are equipped but the items the gems are in aren't? yeah, ok.
Yes, that is the case. Those items are not themselves considered currently equipped on your character in any way. The secondary weapon slots have a special property affecting gems in those items, only for purposes of xp gain.

This is why uniques in those inactive slots don't count as equipped uniques for the item that counts equipped uniques and grants intelligence for them. This is, to my knowledge, treated consistently throughout the game.

"
robmafia wrote:
also, you're now using 2 completely different definitions of "swap" - the one used to define snapshotting explicitly stated unequipping items and changing gems;
No, it does not, and that is the same definition of swapping - replacing one equipped thing with another thing that wasn't previously equipped.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
Snapshotting currently allows players to obtain the benefits of one set of items, passives or gems by casting a skill that locks them in (by taking a snapshot of their character with all those things active), then swapping to another configuration so that they have both sets of benefits. For example, a player equips an Alpha's Howl helmet to reduce the mana reservation of an aura, casts the aura with this lowered reservation, then removes the helmet. They now have a cheaper aura active and can equip a different item into their helmet slot.
It only specifies that you swap from one set of items, gems or passives to another, not how that is accomplished. Manually removing and replacing items with the cursor is one way to do this. So is weapon swapping, which does also technically unequip one set of items and equip new ones to the character.
"
enkaekae wrote:
Does that mean that If I cast RF with my searing touch
and then swap to other weapon, RF's damage will be
recalculated according to the new weapon?
Yes.

"
enkaekae wrote:
And If you remove the gem, it is recalculated without supports,
and If you put back the gem, it is again recalculated?
No. If you remove the gem, it can no longer tell which supports should count, as no supports are technically equipped to the gem - so it uses the last known information about the skill when the gem was equipped - the set of supports that were equipped at the point the gem was removed will persist.
"
Xasrai wrote:
As a result, the gems in the sword/shield on your back are still 'on' you, just not currently being wielded in combat.

If that doesn't make sense to you, nothing will.

umm... what? that's... MY point? the gear isn't unequipped. it's still right there. the gems are gaining experience, but the items they're in are considered not there? yeah, that's the inconsistency/double-standard i just mentioned.

"
mark wrote:
The secondary weapon slots have a special property affecting gems in those items, only for purposes of xp gain.

that's... my point? how/why are the gems gaining experience if you're saying the items are unequipped?

i was under the impression that inactive =/= unequipped. gear in the alternate slot is inactive. but... you know, equipped. now you're saying it's unequipped, and the same as if it's tossed in the stash. except the gems still gain XP...
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Jun 17, 2014, 10:32:51 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info