Increased Defenses from Shield

Say you have a shield that gives 400 ES, and you normally have 200% increased ES.

If you take a node like Phalanx, which gives '20% Increased Defenses from Equipped Shield' - does that mean you get 480 ES from shield, then 200% increased ES (thereby getting 1440 ES total from the shield) or does it just get added to the increased ES, giving you 1280 ES from the shield?
"
SorakPoE wrote:
Say you have a shield that gives 400 ES, and you normally have 200% increased ES.

If you take a node like Phalanx, which gives '20% Increased Defenses from Equipped Shield' - does that mean you get 480 ES from shield, then 200% increased ES (thereby getting 1440 ES total from the shield) or does it just get added to the increased ES, giving you 1280 ES from the shield?

first one - 1440
I imagine it's an increase to the base that is independant to any other modifiers, so it would be the latter, 1280ES.

E: actually it would make sense for the ES to scale off an increased base. Disregard, it's the former.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on May 12, 2014, 10:27:28 AM
Increase applies only to the shield itself.
So-the latter.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Last edited by torturo on May 12, 2014, 10:31:28 AM
"
torturo wrote:
Increase applies only to the shield itself.
So-the latter.

no
Thanks, this is helpful.
"
ancalagon3000 wrote:

no

Yeah, it's the former. My mistake.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
I believe "increased defenses from shield" is added at the same time %increased energy shield/armor/evasion is calculated on the item itself. So if the shield has 200 base (base added with any +defense), 100% increase, and you have 100% in "increased defenses from shield", the game will take the 200 base and multiply it 200%. Then, any "increased energy shield" is calculated.

Basically, the nodes are really effin good.
Last edited by Terrornoid on May 12, 2014, 12:53:47 PM
"
Terrornoid wrote:
I believe "increased defenses from shield" is added at the same time %increased energy shield/armor/evasion is calculated on the item itself. So if the shield has 200 base (base added with any +defense), 100% increase, and you have 100% in "increased defenses from shield", the game will take the 200 base and multiply it 200%. Then, any "increased energy shield" is calculated.

Don't think that's right - I had a chance to run the numbers during my lunch break.

My low-life character (using Solaris Lorica) has 3700 ES right now. Using a 360 ES helm, 460 ES shield, ~200 ES roughly from other gear, and level 16 Discipline boosted about 80% for 475 ES. According to pathofpoe skill builder, she has 138% increased ES including Int boosts. That

She has a single 15% 'defenses from shield' node at the moment. The shield has 110% increases ES on it. There are three possibilities:

1) 15% gets added to 138% overall ES increase, just on the shield; that would only bring the total ES up to about 3600, so that's not it.
2) 15% gets added to 110% shield ES increase - so effectively instead of a 460 ES shield, I have a 497 ES shield. This though, again, would only bring the total ES up to about 3600, so that's not it.
3) 15% get applied to the total ES of the shield - so effectively the shield becomes a 529 ES shield. In this case, the total is 3700 - so I believe this is the correct answer.

"
Terrornoid wrote:
Basically, the nodes are really effin good.

This though is definitely true. The short of it is, if you have a high ES shield, the Phalanx cluster and the shield ES nodes near Bulwark are almost always better than taking pure ES% nodes.
Increase are additive and more are multiplicative. Increased would just add to your ES% only on that shield. In your case (138 + 15) * 460 = ES the shield gives.

The sites normally don't calculate the aura buffs on Discipline correctly. Try it without adding that into your calculations.
IGN: LiveD_LivE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info