Client-server Action Synchronisation

Desync solutions that you have and implementation ideas

Also you talked about a resyncing in enemy if they hit you from off the screen, and while that could make things worse if your player is in the wrong spot on your client? If you can do this, any chance of just setting this exact situation up to resyncing everything in this scenario? Would fix the problem as both enemy and your character get resynced so you can see where you are and how to react.

Personally I do want more rubber-banding. I can understand a lot of people might not understand / like it, but if you can program this in semi easily, don't make everyone use it.

Set it up under option tab as a toggle under "advanced desync counter" or something.

Can have the default to off so the casual people who don't care / notice much won't have anything different, and those of use who want to try crazy things and would prefer rubber-banding can turn it on. I know I personally would like rubber-banding but also know a lot of people would hate it as well. It makes this a user-sided option and if you get anymore support tickets with desync from that point forward you can copy that explanation of what it is and why it's a good thing and just point them to that options menu.

Fun idea though totally out of style with game play below :)

"
SVD wrote:
Spoiler
One of the main problems i have with desync issues is that multiple enemies combo their attacks in a way that a desync situation turns multiple actions after another into a single burst move.

i feel that the gameplay should reflect the physical limitations of the latency in a way to better cope with this.

examples:
brutus: hook + slam
dominus/courtyard leapslammer : leapslam + instant gmp hit afterwards
perpetus: bear trap + ethereal knives
croaking chimerals: leapslam + attack

in a desync situation the resync will happen the moment you got stunned, as in getting leap slammed or bear trapped. But when your client realizes that this is going on, the following attack is already close to fully executed.

so an attack combination that would normally take 2 seconds is performed in less than half a second.

imo those desyncprone moves should work in a way that lets the client catch back up.

exemplary idea : instead of allowing the enemy to already start the next attack, let the attack incapacitate the user and the enemy together for a short time to create a timeframe to react after resyncing
Spoiler

p.s.: obviously this had to happen to me in this moment so that i would write this post. stupid leapslam invader

(spoilers to show whole post while grabbing relevant info)
Is it bad that this is making me think matrix style attacks? a leap slam jumps up, everyone freezes in anticipation and then they come down and "BOOM" or miss however it goes.
"
ValheruWolf wrote:

Personally I do want more rubber-banding... it's a good thing...

This kind of post bugs me. More rubber banding being a good thing seems to assume that desynch is a necessary feature of the game, but that's just not true. As demonskye said it comes down to client trust. If it is true that desynch is not a necessary part of the game then it is false that more rubber banding is a good thing. A good thing would be no more desynch, period. Stop selling everyone else short by accepting desynch in the first place. The necessity of desynch is a false premise.
I have an idea for the desync Problem. Why do you not calc a set of numbers to decide every action. The server know each number and send them to the client. The client calc every action on this numbers and the result can be checked on the server with the same numbers, but the server must not answering. Only when the calculations are not correct the server will exit the client.

For example

Spoiler
3 Numbers are calculated and send to the client: 30, 60, 80

The player decide to attacke a monster, the 30 is taken off the number stack. The player can't hit the enemy with a 30.

The client send the result of not hitting to the server.

The server recalc the hitting action with 30 and confirm the result.

The player decide to attack the monster a second time, the 60 is taken off the number stack. The player can hit the enemy with a 60. The damage is calculated with 80.

The client send the result of hitting to the server.

The server recalc the hitting action with 60 and the damage with 80 and confirm the result.

The number stack is empty, the client need new numbers, before any action can be done. The server send new numbers. And so on.

Second example:

Spoiler
3 other numbers: 90, 80, 100

The player run instead of attacking the monster. The monster decide if it attack or not with 90. The monster will attack and the hit is calculated with 80. The damage is calculated with 100.

The client send the server that the player is running and the monster will attack.

The server can recalc the action with 90, 80 and 100 correctly.

The number stack is empty, the client need new numbers, before any action can be done. The server send new numbers. And so on.

When the client calculate the action with other numbers, the server can't confirm the result and will kick the client.

No desync can occur, the client wait on numbers from the server. The server can create a big list with 10000 of numbers and no "rubber banding" will occur.

The player can do what he want, the server will recalc the actions of the player with the number list. The result will be the same.

I like this post, and as I write this reply my draft is out of sync! Anyway, this post explains desynch very well. What I dont understand is the thought process at ggg's end when they designed mobs and missions which are super susceptible to desynch. Like the Haku missions, those narrow corridors with invulnerable totems, apparently ggg does fully realize the problem of desynch but completely ignores it in level and mob design! it makes no sense, ggg why you do dis to me?
I think that most understand that there will always be a level of desync. Hell, I am even sure that GGG is working to reduce it.

What I don't, nor will ever, understand is why on earth would you keep adding new attacks and effects that make desync occur even more? That makes ZERO sense!!

Now I have a high end gaming PC (i7, 32GB Ram, 780GTX, SSD) with a 300/20 internet and I am less than 200 miles away. I even know the data center they are in as I have over 30 servers for my business hosted there. While I do not see desync as much as some of my friends, I most certainly see it and I have noticed a trend of it getting worse on each content update.

Yes I know some don't notice it as much due to builds and such. I know some say, well avoid this or that. Why should we have to? We should not feel the need to avoid anything. That in itself shows how much of a problem there is.

For those that talk about crappy internet connections causing problems. Sure it does, but did you not read what Chris himself mentioned? This game was designed with high latency in mind for those playing in countries not near a server.

I absolutely love this game and continue to play, albeit less and less. I want nothing more than for this game to succeed. I know so many from the closed beta days that have left for this very reason. However I can not convince myself to buy another supporter pack or really anything until this improves.

I'd be shocked if this is even getting read anymore by the GGG team, beyond just the mods.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Last edited by DS_Deadman on Sep 25, 2014, 11:49:12 AM
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
I think that most understand that there will always be a level of desync. Hell, I am even sure that GGG is working to reduce it.

They are not. You should know that since you stared playing this on CB.
Game is expanding but desync never gets fixed, it might feel worse thx to addition of certain skills but actually it's stays the same.
If I'd play the game today, running around and using basic attack, I'd get desynced in the same spots/situations/areas with same frequency as I did in alpha more then four years ago. Difference is that now I'd spam /oos instead of spamming "-" key.

Apparently it just can't be realistically fixed.
Desync is rooted in the game foundations, they can't just rewrite some netcode and voila.

I'm not buying GGG reasoning, that it was the best choice and stuff like that.
Game has to be playable. That's like fckn rule no 1. PoE is not playable with most builds.
It could be prone to exploiting (you can always play with your /f and/or self-found), it could feel awkwardly but it has to be playable ffs.
Either they didn't have $$ or they didn't have knowledge how to code it properly or they junt didn't know how it's gonna work when it goes online. Whatever the reason result is the same.

Sad thing is that they've been lying all that time that they are working on this, that it's gonna improve and so on while they knew it won't happen.
Indie or not it you gotta build your reputation and with the way GGG handled this particular issue they did totally opposite.

So if you are expecting any kind of relief with desync it won't happen :>
Let's just hope that they are gonna make a better sequel/next game by learning on this mistake and that it's already started, not just planning to squeeze the last penny from all of you superduper supporters and waive us goodbye.
"
Trazza wrote:
I've only just started playing POE a month or two ago, that said this desync/lag/stuck stuff is annoying. I've played many games and there is only 2 games I can think of where this happened.. Mortal online pre-release and Diablo2 and that was only when u got stuck whirlwinding on your character by whirlwinding into a static object and it would eventually rubber band you. I havn't read the last 39 pages but I did read the explanation of the GGG rep and it sounds like a cheapish setup or excuse.

I'm finding the game pretty fun at the moment however not sure I'll stick around long feels unpolished because of the desync/servside lag/ getting stuck issues. I guess I can't complain too much... it is free afterall.

Cheers.

Welcome to POE home to Desync of hell.

If I remembered correctly there was a post that was from the GGG team, were they said they would not fix the desync problems due to it opening them up to hackers. Well GGG lemme just clarify this to you guys as I have said it many times to others, There is no software, in this day in age, not even in the future that is safe from hackers. Eventually everything will get hacked, regardless.

What you guys CAN DO to help Protect yourselves from these hackers, is a little program that I do like and its called Punk buster, one of the best if not the best anti cheat system ever made. For crying out loud the US army uses it for their games LOL. That just tells you how well it is designed to prevent hackers hacking etc..

It literally is a simple fix -_- the rate you guys are going, your going to lose more and more folks and you'll have to just end your game, and I dont want to see that happen to a good potential game. Just quit being like Microsoft buying cheap crap, and start buying some of the better equipment that is expensive, in the near future it will pay off :p not saying just to buy all the expensive stuff that really doesn't help worth a damn. :P

Ok rant done Lol
"
ness wrote:
"
DS_Deadman wrote:

They are not. You should know that since you stared playing this on CB.
Game is expanding but desync never gets fixed, it might feel worse thx to addition of certain skills but actually it's stays the same.
If I'd play the game today, running around and using basic attack, I'd get desynced in the same spots/situations/areas with same frequency as I did in alpha more then four years ago. Difference is that now I'd spam /oos instead of spamming "-" key.

Apparently it just can't be realistically fixed.
Desync is rooted in the game foundations, they can't just rewrite some netcode and voila.

I'm not buying GGG reasoning, that it was the best choice and stuff like that.
Game has to be playable. That's like fckn rule no 1. PoE is not playable with most builds.
It could be prone to exploiting (you can always play with your /f and/or self-found), it could feel awkwardly but it has to be playable ffs.
Either they didn't have $$ or they didn't have knowledge how to code it properly or they junt didn't know how it's gonna work when it goes online. Whatever the reason result is the same.

Sad thing is that they've been lying all that time that they are working on this, that it's gonna improve and so on while they knew it won't happen.
Indie or not it you gotta build your reputation and with the way GGG handled this particular issue they did totally opposite.

So if you are expecting any kind of relief with desync it won't happen :>
Let's just hope that they are gonna make a better sequel/next game by learning on this mistake and that it's already started, not just planning to squeeze the last penny from all of you superduper supporters and waive us goodbye.

I have to agree with you, even though I only played a few months of alpha before actual launch, this is just utter crap from a game company. There are ten tons more games out their with 10 times the animation styles, and graphics flaring off simultaneously and they don't desync.

What they truly need to do, to start fixing their reputation, is dwelve back into the actual source code itself, and start fixing their mistake, otherwise they can kiss this game good bye, because lets face it, their losing more and more people by the dam day, and when their not fixing the most important thing of all (Desync, uh hello? <--- unplayable game means no money for you! No players either.. means no game.) Desync :p
"
What they truly need to do, to start fixing their reputation, is dwelve back into the actual source code itself, and start fixing their mistake, otherwise they can kiss this game good bye, because lets face it, their losing more and more people by the dam day, and when their not fixing the most important thing of all (Desync, uh hello? <--- unplayable game means no money for you! No players either.. means no game.) Desync :p

[citation needed]
"
q45412 wrote:
"

[citation needed]

Citation for what? Lol..

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info