Mana Defense Theory

Hi Forums,

I recently thought about a character based around the three uniques:

Cloak of Defiance
Ondar's flight
Mindspiral

Which gives in summary 40% damage taken to mana and a maximum of 20% of incoming damage replenished as mana.

Of course the build would need to go EB, have decent ES on most gear pieces and and best have good amount of Int to really make a huge mana pool.

The huge mana pool and regeneration allow running a high level Arctic armour permenantly further reducing incoming damage. Question: does AA reduce damage before or after MoM? Does it reduce the left over damage to life only or does it affect the part to mana aswell?

In addition you would still need Life to not die.
Plus maybe secondary defense (armour/EV, Block, Endurance charges).
Would probably go well with EV, Dodge and Spell dodge aswell as Enfeeble.

After thinking about the underlying defense mechanics I'm thinking about a Skill to actually deal damage... Since the mana pool is huge, something like ele spectral throw comes to mind (Would need some Aura nodes and the shock nodes and that should pretty much do the trick).
But I find SP highly boring.

Maybe you can come up with a skill that goes well witht the defense setup?
Arctic Armour is before damage goes to mana.

Damage taken from mana is the absolute last step, once you're actually taking damage.

Take a look at http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Corrupted

And note (3 to 6)% of Damage taken Gained as Mana when Hit is a corrupted mod that can be made on amulets, rings, and shields. So you can actually get 24% more Damage Taken Gained as Mana, for a total of 44% with Ondar's Flight and Mindspiral. You will then actually gain mana when taking damage with Cloak of Defiance.

Whether that's desirable or worth it, I'm not sure. Personally I would use that extra DtGaM to get rid of Ondar's Flight, they're just not that great. But until I had all that crazy Corrupted stuff, i'm sure mana regen takes care of most damage.

I would also try to get When Hit, (3 to 5)% of Damage is taken from Mana before Life by Corrupting a Mindspiral. 45% DtfMbL sounds amazing. Makes me wonder if 45% taken and 44% gained would actually allow you to do this with no extra mana regen / mana efforts at all.
Thanks for the reply!

I will try to get my hands on some minspirals and corrupt them 45% damage to mana instead of life sounds fun.

Reconsidering AA atm it isnt actually enough damage reduction to justify the mana cost if it reduces damage before MoM. It would only make sense if paired with a incoming damge is converted source and resistance to that damage.

I think Ill drop AA for now, I can try it with and without anyways.
Just in case you didn't already know, the 'Damage Taken Gained as Mana' Mod also occurs before Damage is taken from Mana for MoM. So if you were at full Mana when you got hit, it wouldn't do anything. It'd only be relevant for hits that occur back to back, that are too fast/big for your Mana Regen to cover by itself in between the hits.

And never disregard AA, it is by far one of the best mitigation avenues if one can manage to run it..
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Apr 1, 2014, 10:56:07 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info