Dealing with Freeze, an in depth guide! (PvP)

Thanks for that amazing analysis Aswan, it perfectly answers all the questions i had, really appreciate it
"
daiguitarist wrote:
Thanks for that amazing analysis Aswan, it perfectly answers all the questions i had, really appreciate it

You're welcome :)
Getting cold resistance to avoid the perma freeze probably only works for high hp characters, it does at least not work for low/mid hp (mine is maxed at 77% and I am still getting chain frozen).

Flasks are useful against people (like me) who carries a single cold snap gem for the undodgeable freeze chance. But what if someone throws down a LMP/GMP ice spear totem next to you? Sure you can burn 1 bottle charge to be able to move a few inches untill the next spear (or the caster himself) freezes you again and you have to use another bottle charge. And soon probably before the first round is over you will have depleted all your dispel freeze bottles. And if you would dare not to win you wont get any refill making the next round a 100% loss.
So bottles are no solution against a cold focused caster.

Temporal Chain is so good for pvp that it is stupid not to get it what ever your build is. In my eyes it needs nerfing to allow a variation of curses to be valid pvp. But it is a little hard to cast when frozen. And it doesn't really help against cold builds more then it helps vs anything else.

And lastly items with "can not be frozen" modifier. There is so far only 3 of them. Two are bad and would force you to use bad gear vs his best. The third (the ring) is decent and is one of the two ways that I can see of dealing with frozen without being at a serious disadvantage.

The other way of dealing with the cold witches is to go for so high damage that you can one or two shot them (he get to attack and freeze you, you are dead. you get to attack and kill him, he is dead). But that is not possible for all builds or against all cold builds.
Last edited by Grildrak on Feb 11, 2013, 3:30:51 AM
How to deal with freeze: buy Wanderlust, lol.
In CB my recipe for dealing with coldcrit casters in PVP was:

1) Get 75% spellblock.
2) Cast Tempest shield as the battle starts.
3) Watch them suicide when they try to kill you with their spells.
4) Win.

If they use totems to deal the damage this damage reflect method does not work so I had an alternative strategy:

1) Wait until they cast a totem.
2) Immediately throw a Conversion Trap at it.
3) Watch as their own Totem chainfreezes and kills them. This is especially fun against CI builds.
4) Win.

Of course you can mix these with the methods mentioned in this thread as well. Also one thing not mentioned are the "Avoid status effects" passive nodes in the dex area of the tree. You can get over 50% chance to avoid freeze with these.

The first method also works quite nicely against spark casters. When they see their life getting down and try to retreat you start running around and try to catch as many sparks as possible so you can block them for more damage.

Unfortunately I have not been able to gather all the gear needed for this build to work yet in OB.

-Ropetus
Author of Build of the Week #11: PalavaKostaja - Righteous Fire Marauder
Last edited by Ropetus on Feb 12, 2013, 8:00:38 AM
"
Ropetus wrote:
throw a Conversion Trap at it

omg cant even imagine that works hahaha
Or dominating blow.
ign: Grandpa_From_Graveyard
Fire to cold,
lighting to ice,
just kill them first,
no need for lies.

There are no mechanics involved in a 2 secons fight. Only pain, agony, suffering and frustration. The more you think how to deal with it, the more the pain.
Last edited by aryosgr on Feb 14, 2013, 5:34:10 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info