Beta =/= Early Access.

It comes down to the feeling of self entitlement most gamers have these days. Many feel they are owed something from game developers, and if they don't deliver they get flamed on boards like these.

The idea of beta testing has changed drastically over the years and I think a gulf has formed between what the average gamer believes it means and what the developer means. GGG looks at it like a chance to get their game out there for a little publicity and test it. The guy that feels he is entitled to a beta key is willing to pay money for access knowing it is a unfinished product, but once access is gained to the client he flame the hell out of it.

Most betas actually do end up being early access.
There will be a server wipe at the end of closed beta. There will likely be several other server wipes before then as well.

The game will not be complete and balanced by open beta but at that point the game will be 'released'. As such, there are no planned server wipes once open beta begins. Of course GGG reserves the right to wipe the server at any time and for any reason with no advance warning.
Forum Sheriff
"
Eternimus wrote:
(Very long OP}

I'm ok with this.
Maximum "perk" people should get for being in Closed Beta is a little badge or something like that.

"I was a Closed Beta Member" wooo.

Of course, most people in the Closed Beta don't even participate on the CB forums, so it really doesn't mean very much.

Delete my character(s) at the end of closed beta? Yes please. I don't deserve to start at higher level than others just because I got an invite.
NewDude: I killed Brutus. Now I have no quest. So what now?
Guy: I guess there are people that NEED quests for direction.
Guy2: I always wonder how those people get through life.
GuyMontag: They get married. Wives are like quest-givers.
The op makes sense and some appreciate it, even enough to post positive replies on this thread, but the only thing that this thread is accomplishing is that you raging and raging makes you feel better. You aren't changing anything. Your like the angry soccer mom at a school board hearing.
Regardless of whether the characters get wiped come Open Beta and then again come release day - and I know they will get wiped - it is still desirable to play the game in its unfinished state simply due to how damn good it looks.
IRON MAN
Well written.
ʘ‿ʘ MoreStuff ʘ‿ʘ
I wholeheartedly agree. Too many people are thinking that this is the game done and done, and a beta key means free access. These players will probably not leave any good feedback either. (Notice the probably.)

-Generic forum signature here-
RAAAAAAAR stupid double posts.
-Generic forum signature here-
Last edited by Stentuff on Sep 19, 2011, 11:21:03 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info