+1 gem level corruption

This was briefly discussed in another thread, but I think it deserves it's own discussion.

Has it been confirmed that a Vaal orb can raise the max level of your gem before your gem is max level?

example

If I corrupt a lvl 1 gem, and it apparently does nothing, is there a chance that it actually increased the maximum level of this gem to 21 and I just don't know it?

The only way I could see to test this would be to corrupt lvl 19 gems and see what the result is when they become level 20. Perhaps one of them would be raised to lvl 20 but would that be it's new max or would the max be lvl 21?

Perhaps there are 2 vaal orb outcomes, one for +1 gem level and one for +1 maximum gem level?
IGN: OldManBalls (Warbands)
No.
Vaal orbs increase the level of the gem by 1, it does not increase the maximum level by 1.
"so you can see who has more PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
"Everyone can at least be exposed to Leo's PvPenis" - Chris Wilson
I am confused now, is it possible with a vaal orb to raise the itemlvl of a gem to lvl 21 or not?

and still the question remains do i need to corrupt a lvl 20 skill gem to make it 21 or can i corrupt a lower lvl ge mand still be able to lvl this gem to lvl 21?

Greetz,

Hawk
He just answered that, you have to corrupt level 20 to have a chance at 21.
IGN: Victario
also note that it may have no effect on your gem at all
"Individuation ends when emptiness and form become one" Carl Gustav Jung
Can the corruption change the max gem level to 19? What are the other possible negative outcomes?
"
Soranor wrote:
Can the corruption change the max gem level to 19? What are the other possible negative outcomes?

it doesn't change the "max" level in any way.

it may give a straight +/- 1 level.

so a lvl 20 gem becomes lvl19, and youhave to relevel it to 20
a lvl 20 gem becomes a lvl21
a lvl15 gem becomes lvl16 and you can level it to lvl 20

as for negatives: it can set the Q of the gem to a random number from 0-23, and since you can't use gcps after wards, it basically bricks it to a lower than 20%Q
I think you may be wrong about setting quality randomly between 0 and 23. 1.1.0d patch notes say

"
Fixed a problem that would allow a 0% quality gem to reach 23% quality with one Vaal Orb

Leads me to believe it works just like the level -- gives a straight amount of quality in the range of -3% to +3%.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
Last edited by mark1030 on Mar 11, 2014, 2:17:55 PM
I corrupted a gem and I'm fairly sure it pushed it from 16 to 17. It is still gaining exp so far but I haven't hit the point of leveling it yet.

The +/- level doesn't make sense to me. If it adds +1 level then you should be able to level it to 21. Likewise -1 level should cap it at 19, otherwise what is the point of ever using a vaal orb on a gem under level 20, or the reason not to use it on a 20/20 for that matter.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info