Vaal Immortal Call

USELESS gem
either less souls or increase duration please
My Feedback on this gem:

About Vaal Skills

Vaal Skills should not be built around. They are skills that should support your main build in a way that it can compensate for the lacks your build has otherwise.

In this case, Vaal Immortal call does EXACTLY what its supposed to do. Its not a skill that every build has to use, but just a build that relies on Self-casting immortal call. Imo.
VIC benefits from literally everything that IC benefits from, except for that it saves you from ele dmg too.

About its usage

So lets determine what IC builds do:

Immortal call builds are mostly Melee, Physical, and use Immortal call to compensate for their vunerability against high phys melee threats, like brutus and follow-ups and Phys Reflect. Immortal Call builds Can use Items like The abyssus without having to fear the drawback and can thus get a good increase of Dps due to that. They can easily get immortal call to run for 20+ Seconds and to my calculations can even go up to 30-35 seconds for high end builds.

Regarding this, Melee builds can be very fragile against bosses that do huge melee Elemental damage. Bosses like Dominus' first form, Piety, and Atziri are also not the most comfortable bosses to fight. If you manage to pull of enough dps though, 30+ Seconds of immortality should make these situations easy to cope with. Even 10-20 seconds for non-end builds is fine enough for the immortal builds to not have to fear Elemental and Chaos damage. Of course, as a IC builds, Unwavering Stance is a necessity, but you arent taking much of a downside from it anyways.

For Reference, The best usage is picking up all 4 gainable endurance charges from tree and bandit, plus koams sign x2, preferably a corrupted belt and 6 15% duration nodes from the tree. (you can even pick up the three 10% nodes too, but for the efficiency, thats not worth it). Then, you link:

Vaal IC (lvl 20/23% pref) - Enhance (lvl 4 pref) - Increased Duration (lvl 20/23% pref)
(which leaves you with a slot to equip normal IC too)
In either a +1 to gems, or in Atziri's Disfavour.

Assuming the +1 to gems, you get:

0.25 + 10* (0.78 + 0.32(from enhance)) = 11.25 Base Duration
11.25 * (1 + 0.765 (from inc duration) + 0.9/1.2 (from tree) ) = 29.98/33.36

Assuming Atziri's Disfavour:

0.25 + 10* (0.77 + 0.40) = 11.95 Base duration
11.95 * (1 + 0.775 + 0.9/1.2) = 31.97/35.55

With Empower lvl 4 corrupted too:

0.25 + 10* (0.82 + 0.40) = 12.45 Base Duration
12.45 + ... = 33.30/37.04

You can understand that 20 seconds shouldnt be hard to reach right?

About the Stats

96 Souls is a huge price to pay. But ey, the effect supports it right? Skills like Vaal Spark have the same amount of impact and for those there is never a complaint about the soul demand.

More importantly, instead of having to take up a whole item worth of links to support the gem, its easily linkable in the same item as immortal call. There is no reason not to slot it in if you are running IC already right?

The way i see it, is that if the soul counts is lowered, the duration has to be lowered too, but i dont agree upon that. Its a very unique effect that can easily get unbalanced when altering it to such a way.
Ign: Leary_AscendedNecro
Twitchtv: leary93
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfzgUpVcv6wzrs5TwKZaGJQ
This gem is too expensive.

It would have been better if it were left as "immune to all damage".

I have been trying different vaal gems, and from what I can tell... basically none of them fit into any of my builds. The only skill that I have found remotely viable has been vaal double strike on my double strike build. It just provides a small DPS cooldown for bosses. It is not impressive, I forget to use it most of the time, and it doesn't make a big difference when I DO use it... sooooo.... I think the vaal gems need a rework. Make them all more powerful with shorter durations, or something... anything else... remove them?

Other than that, I am still enjoying the game. Thanks GGG

P.s. - An afterthought: Something like vaal Slam, for instance. It takes 32 kills to do 1 attack and knock a monster back. It doesn't even do very much damage. It isn't something worth throwing in to my rotation. God knows, it isn't something to relying on... None of the gems are.

That is the bottom line. You can't really... use... the vaal gems. They are just "flavor" gems. In a meta where people are using EVERY socket to squeeze out damage, survivability, and uniqueness in builds, these gems just aren't making the cut.

I don't have the answers to the problems, so I am sorry for complaining, but I know you guys are capable of great things. So lets see it! Thanks for reading my small wall of txt.
Maurader

Mace/stun/armor/life

I have tried to find any use for this gem that I can and it is usually the 'cause' of my death as apposed to the saving grace.

The single largest issue is the fact that casting it stops me from hitting. It is not a good escape option. You still take all the damage but you don't die but... While the animation is going I drop down to zero health and die. This is when I really need it.

So I tried to use it on entrance or before something big. I turn it on. I jump into the masses and try to kill them and stun them before they kill me. My life dropps to 1 while the Immortal call is active. It fails before I get two hits off and I die instantly because my life was at 1 and any hit was enough to kill me. I can only immagine that if I had used blood magic I would have died from casting myself to death.

In normal intelligent gameplay I do not need immortal call and I do not die nearly as often. In the rare cases that I need immortal call to by my saving grace that I built up and saved for, it's cast time causes me to die even faster because I am not leeching.
Also, I am running 6 endurance charges. It would be even worse if I was running 3.

It would be better to have 2 charges saved up OR to have only 8 kills to build up to a charge and make it immunity to chaos damage to help counter poison and corrupted blood.
Been using Vaal Immortal Call.

How i was using it:

-Vaal IC gem, increased duration gem, (linked)

-Enduring cry gem, (separate socket, just used for charge refresh)

Endurance charge on melee stun gem. (main weapon, linked to other gems)

Overall: With only 3 charges, i can last like 2 sec with this (being immortal).

-------------------

Observations:

-Vaal IC - souls reset when you change 'places' (i.e. levels of the same area)

-requires 72 Souls - Im ok with that soul cost, the thing is that the souls reset when you change map place (not referring to encampment towns).

-Requires you to manually (preferrably) activate this gem. Summary, it's a high skill cap Vaal gem tied to player reaction/reflexes damage calculation/conscious damage taken.

-Requires you to not be frozen, stunned (incapacitated) to activate it, making it somewhat less reliable.

-When properly casted/activated, can leave you alive with just 1 hp.

------------------

Suggestions:

1. Souls cost should not 'disappear' when crossing a 'gate' to other level.
Imagine you have the gem up filled with its 72 souls, then, you cross a door/stairs/portal and you see that 'Brutus' from Piety's Pets mission (guess what? no vaal ic up - you saved the effect for that precise moment when you need to use it, but, then again, it's not there).

2. Cast time should be instant (even if frozen, stunned or incapacitated in any manner).

3. After the skill effect ends, it should give you 5~10% of your total health back as soon as it finishes.

Its a Vaal, will require 72 souls again for activation. Cannot be spammed so freely, it's utility only with nice/balanced requirements.

Need those tweaks above tho. Well, personal opinion of course.
"
B34C0N wrote:
Been using Vaal Immortal Call.

How i was using it:

-Vaal IC gem, increased duration gem, (linked)

-Enduring cry gem, (separate socket, just used for charge refresh)

Endurance charge on melee stun gem. (main weapon, linked to other gems)

Overall: With only 3 charges, i can last like 2 sec with this (being immortal).

-------------------

Observations:

-Vaal IC - souls reset when you change 'places' (i.e. levels of the same area)

-requires 72 Souls - Im ok with that soul cost, the thing is that the souls reset when you change map place (not referring to encampment towns).

-Requires you to manually (preferrably) activate this gem. Summary, it's a high skill cap Vaal gem tied to player reaction/reflexes damage calculation/conscious damage taken.

-Requires you to not be frozen, stunned (incapacitated) to activate it, making it somewhat less reliable.

-When properly casted/activated, can leave you alive with just 1 hp.

------------------

Suggestions:

1. Souls cost should not 'disappear' when crossing a 'gate' to other level.
Imagine you have the gem up filled with its 72 souls, then, you cross a door/stairs/portal and you see that 'Brutus' from Piety's Pets mission (guess what? no vaal ic up - you saved the effect for that precise moment when you need to use it, but, then again, it's not there).

2. Cast time should be instant (even if frozen, stunned or incapacitated in any manner).

3. After the skill effect ends, it should give you 5~10% of your total health back as soon as it finishes.

Its a Vaal, will require 72 souls again for activation. Cannot be spammed so freely, it's utility only with nice/balanced requirements.

Need those tweaks above tho. Well, personal opinion of course.

72 souls? you have only been using it in cruel then. it's 96 souls otherwise. and unless the gem has changed since i reviewed it last year in may i won't return to it.

cast time should be instant (don't have to stop and cast it) is a good idea also!
not working with increase durations and cast when damage taken
Please post new feedback for this skill gem here - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2160165
Please email support@grindinggear.com if you need any assistance!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info