Trade chat macro Bannable or not?

"
Alhoon wrote:
I still don't understand why GGG hasn't clarified the macro statement since it never made zero sense.

Chris said that
"
macro that performs more than one action is bannable

and further added the reasoning
"
This is because these are things that normal players cannot do, so they give advantages in terms of playing speed.

But why are /oos and similar macros allowed when the above statements without a doubt deny them? A player that doesn't have these macros cannot perform /oos with one action.

Because the /oos macro is the only fix for there desync issues they refuse to address.
"
Peenk wrote:
Because the /oos macro is the only fix for there desync issues they refuse to address.

I'm not arguing whether the macro should be banned, I'm arguing why Chris uses flawed logic. We can't use that logic to determine whether X macro is bannable because the logic makes no sense in the first place.
"
Alhoon wrote:
But why are /oos and similar macros allowed when the above statements without a doubt deny them? A player that doesn't have these macros cannot perform /oos with one action.

It sends one command to the server, without a timer, so it is one action.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Alhoon wrote:

Pretty much this.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Alhoon wrote:

So technically I can write a script to click on a waypoint, switch acts and clicks on a WP. Because there's no timer or repeatable actions in one script. It just moves insanely fast.

You could say that it repeats an action that clicks. Same thing with pressing Enter and Enter again. That's technically repeating an action but not on a timer.

Right?

It's so ambiguous. They should just tell us what is acceptable and what is not. Not some wishy washy wording.
Last edited by teldara on Jan 2, 2014, 12:05:35 AM
"
teldara wrote:
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Alhoon wrote:

So technically I can write a script to click on a waypoint, switch acts. Click on a certain waypoint. Walk to the bank and open it.

Since, it's not a repeatable timed scripts.

Because that clearly is sending more then one action to the server?

I don't understand the nit picking here. It should be plainly obvious what the intent of what they allow is and isn't.
"
TheBigNasty wrote:

I don't understand the nit picking here. It should be plainly obvious what the intent of what they allow is and isn't.

Sending /oos is also more than one action isn't it?

A basic /oos script would be something like this:

Send {Enter} < This is sending one action
Send /oos < This is sending the second action, third action, fourth action, and fifth action for typing out / o o s the O is repeated.
Send {Enter} < This is sending the sixth action AND repeating the first action, Send {Enter}

So, they need better wording or tell us "Yes oos is okay. 1 Button log out is not. Portal is not. Trade spam is not." instead of ambiguous wording.
Last edited by teldara on Jan 2, 2014, 12:09:18 AM
"
teldara wrote:
Send /oos < This is sending the second action, third action, fourth action, and fifth action for typing out / o o s the O is repeated.
Send {Enter} < This is sending the sixth action AND repeating the first action, Send {Enter}

No. Pressing enter opens the chat console in your client, it doesn't send anything to the server. Typing letters doesn't send anything to the server, either. When you finish typing and hit enter, then the client sends ONE string ("/oos") to the server, which represents ONE command ("resync my client with the server").

It is one action.
"
teldara wrote:
"
TheBigNasty wrote:

Sending /oos is also more than one action isn't it?

So, they need better wording or tell us "Yes oos is okay. 1 Button log out is not. Portal is not. Trade spam is not." instead of ambiguous wording.

The server (presumably, because otherwise something strange is going on) not notifying the server when you hit "enter" to bring up chat. That's not an "action".

There's (likely) a single message sent by the client when you send a message to chat.

To be honest, using macros at all would make me feel uneasy. They've explicitly condoned /oos and /remaining. I expect 1 button logout is ok, but since logout-to-save-your-ass feels like cheating to me (I know it isn't) I'm a bit unsure.

It would be nice if explicit answers were given.

Anything that repeats on a timer is not ok. Loops are not ok. Unrolled loops are not ok.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
Last edited by syrioforel on Jan 2, 2014, 12:16:17 AM
"
Mivo wrote:
"
teldara wrote:

No. Pressing enter opens the chat console in your client, it doesn't send anything to the server. Typing letters doesn't send anything to the server, either. When you finish typing and hit enter, then the client sends ONE string ("/oos") to the server, which represents ONE command ("resync my client with the server").

It is one action.

The "rule" is this:

"

Any macro that performs more than one action is bannable, as is anything that sends it based on a timer. It's fine to have a button that triggers a function like /oos, or casts an aura, but having a timer to repeat actions or text posts is not allowed.

That is sending a repeat action. It does not say based on commands to the server. He also says anything on a timer to repeat actions or text posts is not allowed.

How much more ambigious do you need to be?

Technically having a repeat action such as Send {Enter} <insert message> and Send {Enter} that performs more than one action. This is not nit picking. This is trying to have an official statement on what is allowed and what is not allowed by explicit list.

Yes, you are right. Sending /oos is THE ONLY command the server receives but the "ruling" (I use "ruling" loosely because it's almost too ambiguous) states that if it performs more than one action.

What we need is explicit list of scripts that is a Yes.

Such as:

What is legal:
1. /oos script
2. /remaining script

What is not legal:
1. Trade chat spam

Or else we get questions such as "Is one button log out legal?" because it uses multiple actions to hit log out but sends one command to the server. 1 click portal sends multiple actions but only inputs one action to the server. So on and so forth.
Last edited by teldara on Jan 2, 2014, 12:26:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info