Diablo vs. PoE: The impact on the number of "Talents"

Warning!: This is purely the opinion of a single individual (aka myself) that has played Diablo 2 for a long time but has only seen videos of PoE, and that (as a result of being a single individual) this will probably bring little to no impact on the community. BTW, I might sound like a scientist, but I can guarantee you I'm not.

I know it's very likely that a lot of people have already done this comparison, but I had to point out something that I think might be interesting to those into the psychology of games, and that is the way the "talents" have been set up in these two games, and how their differences create a strong impact on the society within them.

Diablo 2, and any Blizzard RPG, have a small number of talents, some really good, some really bad, some just downright useless, Whereas (by what I've seen) PoE has an enormous amount of "Talents", and they are all good in some way, shape, or form.

How does this effect the two communities?
Let's start with PoE. Because of the way the "Talents" allow you to "be yourself" and thus are flexible, players are very open to experimenting, trying out new ideas, and no one has any problem with this. There is no stress or tension involved for the most part.

Diablo 2, on the other hand, due to the small pool of "talents", it doesn't allow for experimenting, and it discourages players from doing so, thus if someone tries to deviate from the norm, people criticize you for your flaws. There is a lot of peer pressure involved in this community.

I've figured this out as I was reading the forums here on the various classes. Unlike Diablo 2, where someone putting up a "custom build" is mostly frowned upon, people here are very nice about it. They kindly give suggestions on what abilities might work with the build, what tweaks could be done for other abilities, etc.

Overall, the community seems a lot more relaxed than other games, and that's something I've been waiting for in a game.

It's actually the first time where I want to get involved with the community, and especially can't wait for my beta key.

Hoping to play soon!
- Knightofkings -
Good interpretation and comparison.

PoE offers a lot more build flexibility than other games, and "cookie-cutter" or template builds will still have many differences. You can try oddball builds and have success (I recently played a witch to level 20 using a bow, without even picking passives).
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Don't forget, Diablo 3 has no talents! You just gain skills as you level now.

From what I've seen of PoE there is MUCH more customization, can't wait to mess around with stuff. I'm sure there will be a "best" build for each class at some point, but until then it's fun to experiment, right?

I don't think the number of talents affects the community in regards to players looking down on a build seen as unviable or inferior. From my experience in various MMOs and dungeon crawlers, even the tiniest perceived flaw can turn off the hardcore players or powergamers. Hopefully this doesn't happen in PoE to the degree of Diablo 2 or WoW due to the sheer amount of customization.

Path of Life nodes anyone?

Crafting doesn't exist in POE. Gambling does...and the house always wins.

Velocireptile - I LOL'ed. Which made me fart. I wish the office were empty right now :(

Hardlicker - I had to push the dog out of the way so I could get to the sexy quilt.
"
ToxicRatt wrote:
Path of Life nodes anyone?

I've got 19 life nodes out of 106 used points. Go troll somewhere else.
IGN : Ericaa
My Store! /108685
My Rain of Arrows Evasion build guide! https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/791798
Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/samfishersam
I don't get the whole "path of life nodes" complaint. So people choose a path that gives them more hit points. That's been the rule of thumb in role playing games since the 1960s.
dat necro tho
"
Knightofkings wrote:
Warning!: This is purely the opinion of a single individual (aka myself) that has played Diablo 2 for a long time but has only seen videos of PoE, and that (as a result of being a single individual) this will probably bring little to no impact on the community. BTW, I might sound like a scientist, but I can guarantee you I'm not.

I know it's very likely that a lot of people have already done this comparison, but I had to point out something that I think might be interesting to those into the psychology of games, and that is the way the "talents" have been set up in these two games, and how their differences create a strong impact on the society within them.

Diablo 2, and any Blizzard RPG, have a small number of talents, some really good, some really bad, some just downright useless, Whereas (by what I've seen) PoE has an enormous amount of "Talents", and they are all good in some way, shape, or form.

How does this effect the two communities?
Let's start with PoE. Because of the way the "Talents" allow you to "be yourself" and thus are flexible, players are very open to experimenting, trying out new ideas, and no one has any problem with this. There is no stress or tension involved for the most part.

Diablo 2, on the other hand, due to the small pool of "talents", it doesn't allow for experimenting, and it discourages players from doing so, thus if someone tries to deviate from the norm, people criticize you for your flaws. There is a lot of peer pressure involved in this community.

I've figured this out as I was reading the forums here on the various classes. Unlike Diablo 2, where someone putting up a "custom build" is mostly frowned upon, people here are very nice about it. They kindly give suggestions on what abilities might work with the build, what tweaks could be done for other abilities, etc.

Overall, the community seems a lot more relaxed than other games, and that's something I've been waiting for in a game.

It's actually the first time where I want to get involved with the community, and especially can't wait for my beta key.

Hoping to play soon!
- Knightofkings -

Wrong. Sorry bro.

1. Diablo II has a TON of talents. Especially so for 2000's, and especially so compared to today's Blizzard games.

2: there was PLENTY of room for experimenting, whether or not people on the internet approve of your talent builds? Well that's only possible if you link it to them, so I don't really see the problem there.

I've NEVER played a public D2 game and had someone QQ about my build. Even the really goofy ones. Not ONCE.

3. the community is a lot more laid back, but you do realize it's been released now, right?

Edit: wow toxic ratt, 2 and a half year necro?

And it looks like OP never got his planned beta invite lol :P

VI
Last edited by ConanTheGamebarian on Jan 25, 2014, 4:04:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info