Werewolf (Mafia) League

I suggested this in the 'Your League Ideas' thread, but thought I would expand on it here and see if I can get some support behind it, as I think it could be a lot of fun, would add a political/intrigue element to the game and would be easy to implement.

First up, what is Werewolf?

Werewolf is a classic party game (also known as Mafia, Witch Hunt and Assassin) in which an uninformed majority competes with an informed minority to be the only ones left after a series of votes to eject players from the game.

The rules and history of the game can be found at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mafia_(party_game)
but I will now detail how they would work in a PoE league:

Any character of any level can join the league, as the core game play is completely unaltered. The players are divided into two groups; Werewolves and Humans, with a ratio of 2 Werewolves for every 7 Humans. The Werewolves are able to see who else is a Werewolf, but the Humans have no indication as to anyone’s alignment. A counter showing only the numbers of Humans and Werewolves in the league is visible to all.

At regular intervals, a vote is taken on who dies (permadeath, removing them from the league. All other kinds of death allow a respawn as usual), alternating between the Werewolves voting with their votes only known to each other, and everyone voting publicly. When a character is killed in this way, their alignment is revealed to all of the players. The game is won by the Humans when all the Werewolves have been killed, or by the Werewolves when they outnumber or equal the number of Humans
Optional additional roles:

These can individually be toggled on or off during league creation. During the game, players take on the roles when they achieve certain quest like conditions.

Inquisitor. (Human)
During the public voting phase, the inquisitor may select a player and have their alignment revealed to him. This role goes to the player who has handed in the most scrolls of wisdom to an NPC.

Seer. (Either)
During the public voting phase, the seer may select a player and have any optional roles they have taken on revealed to him. If the player chosen is a Werewolf, any roles they have taken on will not be revealed. This role goes to the player who has handed in the most scrolls to a different NPC than the one collecting them for Inquisitor.

Healer. (Human)
During the Werewolf only voting phase, the healer may select one player, other than themselves, to make immune from being killed. If they would have been killed, it is announced after the vote that they have been saved and nobody dies that round. This role goes to the player who has handed in the most potions to an NPC.

Hunter. (Human)
During the public voting phase, the Hunter may choose one additional player to kill. Goes to the player who has turned in the most Whetstons to an NPC.

Rabid Wolf. (Werewolf)
If the rabid wolf is chosen to die during the public vote, one of the players who voted for him is randomly selected to die as well. Goes to the player who has poisoned the most enemies

Lone Wolf (Werewolf)
If the lone wolf is chosen to die during the public vote, the player with the second most votes is killed instead. Only if everyone votes for them are they killed. Goes to the player who has returned to town the least.

Nullifier (Either)
the nullifier may choose a player during the public vote and cancel out any role abilities they have. Goes to the player who has turned in the most *currency item which removes mods from items* to an NPC.

Alpha (Werewolf)
The Alpha selects a player during the werewolf voting phase, if that player would be killed (after any other role abilities are applied), they are instead converted into a Werewolf. Goes to the player who has killed the most rare monsters.

Warg (Human)
If a player is a Warg when the Werewolves win, he wins also. If he is one when the Humans win, he loses. Goes to the player who has handed in the most orbs of transmutation to an NPC

If you like the idea of this league, please post in support of it, even a simple +1 would be great
Last edited by Menuki on Sep 9, 2011, 12:20:57 AM
I don't see how this relates to PoE in any way?
It takes place in a PoE league, parallel to regular gameplay and influenced by it through the quests for the roles.

People adapt this game to lots of things and it gets played by people of their own initiative in many games, including Diablo 2, but there is no interface (which would be quite simple to add) that regulates the rules and keeps things fair.

The leagues system has potential to do a lot more than just tweek the core rules to increase the games challenge in my opinion; I see it as a way to have new game modes, like say capture the flag or no holds barred races from one encampment to another.

If you are objecting to the use of werewolves etc as they have no foundation in the game world, I can see your point, but they were just an example; the names for the factions and roles could be anything that GGG, or even the players who set up the league, care to use.
Last edited by Menuki on Sep 9, 2011, 8:22:02 AM
I just don't see how this interacts with the game at all. You play in a league but get removed according to the rules of the werewolf metagame?

It just seems disconnected, both in theme and execution. What does either game gain from the two being glued together?

Could you provide an example of how playing in a Werewolf league would differ from a standard one?
Last edited by BigRedRod on Sep 9, 2011, 11:56:14 AM
Hmm, from what I can tell, it is somewhat accurate to say that this is very much like two entirely separate games being glued together with an adhesive of quest-like thingies.

But the fact that the "Werewolf" game has almost nothing to do with PoE is largely irrelevant. Since this is an entirely separate league, only people that are interested in playing such a game would join. Yes, it would probably be irritating if someone in this league were just trying to play PoE normally then they suddenly get killed off by the Werewolf game, but it would be their fault for joining the league in the first place (if you want to play PoE normally, just play default or something.)

The intent here is to use the league customization feature as a pseudo-modding tool of sorts so you can make games that are entirely unique from the original. I personally have no idea how much you can actually customize a league, but it'd be really cool if GGG would allow for these kinds of off-the-wall rules.

Anyway, addressing the original topic, I'd find such a "werewolf" league to be interesting, probably something I'd join from time to time like a mini-game of sorts.
I'm not sure what you are looking for BigRedRod; The core gameplay of PoE is completely unchanged, the Werewolf game is just overlayed on top.

What is gained by the werewolf game is a setting in which to enjoy it, as by itself it is a little bland (outside of video games people mostly play it while they are drinking or on a train or something).

PoE gains a little bit more community interacation and discussion between the players in the league.

Using the league system as a psuedo modding one, as AmberFang said, seems like a great idea to me; modes like capture the flag, no holds barred races from one encampment to another and so on would give the game a bit of light variety, like how the custom games have for SC2(although that level of moddability there is a bit higher than what im thinking)
Last edited by Menuki on Sep 10, 2011, 12:55:42 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info