[Not a Bug] Lightning Warp not casting at its listed cast speed

Lightning Warp is not casting at its listed cast speed:

Lightning warp has a ~0.3s delay that is preventing it from being cast consecutive times. You can't cast a second lightning warp until after the 'arrival' animation has vanished from the first lightning warp, no matter your cast speed, and this animation dosen't scale with cast speed. I recorded a 10 second trial as a .gif using short range casts with a 0.32 cast speed 90% reduced duration lightning warp. I counted 15 lightning warps in 10 seconds, an effective cast time of 0.68 seconds. By testing my movement speed, I found it took me 0.5 seconds to move the minimum distance of a lightning warp on foot, which would be 0.05 'travel time' duration on lightning warp. That clearly doesn't account for the discrepancy between 0.32 cast speed theoretical and ~0.68 cast speed actual. There is a thus a ~0.3 second delay, which is greatly hampering the ability to spam lightning warp at high cast speeds.

Example .gif of spamming consecutive lightning warps.
The average time between my character being displaced in each lightning warp in this .gif is ~0.6-0.7 seconds, clearly not 0.32 seconds, nor 0.32 + 0.05, the 'expected value' with movement included. I have 87% movespeed.

Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 26, 2013, 12:25:47 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
"
clan_iraq wrote:
Lightning Warp is not casting at its listed cast speed:
Yes, it is. Casting Lightning Warp and it taking place are not the same, since casting the spell does nothing but set it up to teleport you in future.

"
clan_iraq wrote:
Lightning warp has a ~0.3s delay that is preventing it from being cast consecutive times.
Yes. This is entirely unrelated to cast speed. You cannot have more than one active lightning warp at a time, you must wain until the current one is completely finished before it's possible to cast another. The time the old warp takes to finish before you can cast again is both intentional and necessary.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Nov 25, 2013, 9:39:02 PM
But shouldn't it be casting at nearly the displayed cast speed if you have ~100% reduced duration then, logically? Since the teleport would occur instantaneously. I can understand the need to only have one lightning warp at a time active, since otherwise you could cast a second while the first is 'en route' and it would be weird logic to it. But perhaps I wasn't making my problem clear- with lightning warp finishing its casting near instantly, its still got a very significant delay between when the first lightning warp *ends* and when you can *begin* the next lightning warp. IE, the warp is no longer active and you've already arrived at your new destination, but it still takes a significant delay before you can begin casting the next one

Say I've got a 0.32 cast speed and it takes 0.05 duration to travel to the location. It should play out as:

0:00- start casting
0:32- finish casting animation, warp beacon is placed
0:37- teleport to location instantly
0:37- start casting new lightning warp

That is, unless you're using some kind of action frame on the animation where it occurs partway through, but the same logic should apply for the total time.

But right now, after you arrive at the new location, your character will just sit there completely idle for ~0.3 seconds. Is *that* intentional? I tried testing it by casting any spell other than lightning warp after arriving at the new location- I used a very very fast 0.16 cast time curse, and I could see my character finish casting the curse and its aoe be displayed before the lightning warp animation was even fully on the ground.

So what I'm saying is, shouldn't a lightning warp with 100% reduced duration cast at exactly the listed cast speed? Its not, its about (cast speed + 0.3 seconds) or so instead, and this limitation on not being able to consecutively cast the spell doesn't prevent you from casting other spells, only more lightning warps. It seems like whatever code is preventing you from casting *multiple* lightning warps at once- what is intended and necessary- is restricted for too long, and should probably have its restriction lifted the moment your character arrives at the new location

I hope I was making it clear, it all sounds complicated and ambiguous and easy to mistake
To show some direct evidence so maybe its more clear

Heres lightning warp being cast twice in a row at 0.32 cast time on the tooltip (+10% ms, 90% reduced duration)

Now looking at it on a frame by frame basis, each frame of the .gif being ~0.04 to 0.05 seconds. Notice how long between when the player arrives at the new location and she begins to raise her wand for the cast animation of the second warp. The big spark dropped from the heavens and hit the ground, and the circle graphic on the ground has just barely started to fade when the next cast animation begins

Spoiler

Now heres lightning warp being cast, immediately followed by a 0.18 cast time critical weakness.

Look at this one on a frame by frame. The animation for the second lightning warp 'striking' has not even occurred yet, the big spark is still in the air, yet the scion has already raised her arms, and indeed the curse AOE appears at the same time it strikes the ground- her cast animation has already finished, it was so fast. She finished casting a different spell before she would even have been allowed to start casting a second lightning warp

Spoiler

So is this all intentional? If theres a necessary amount of delay in there for when the damage instances occur exactly, could it be scaled with cast speed? Because right now its very punishing to high cast speed builds- a 1.0 cast time is really a ~1.3 cast time (23% dps loss), a 0.32 cast time is actually a ~0.62 cast time (nearly a 50% dps loss). Gimps my build hard compared to its theoretical values. I figure I pop 30000 DPS theoretical and 15000 actual
Yes this is intentional. You seem to be misunderstanding how lightning warp works, as none of this is related at all to the cast speed of the skill.
Cast speed affects the time it takes to cast the spell it is, in the case of lightning warp, completely unrelated to the time taken to teleport.
The duration of the teleport is based on movement speed between the points, but there is also time taken both before and after the teleport, during which your character shrinks and grows, and and the effect finishes playing.

You cannot cast lightning warp while a previous lightning warp is active. It simply can't work, so casting is disabled until the previous warp is finished. That's not as soon as you arrive, it's after the resizing and effect is complete. This has nothing at all to do with cast speed.
You're able to cast the curse there and unable to cast the lightning warp at the same time because lightning warp cannot be cast while a previous one is active, and it still is. The cruse has no such restriction, so can be cast while a lightning warp is active.

You can cast a curse skill as soon as you've finished casting lightning warp (at which point the warp is still active, and will move you at some point in the future). You cannot cast a lightning warp at the same time because you cannot have two lightning warps at the same time, so have to wait until the first one is finished.
It seems like a pretty significant incongruity with how other spells work, being able to spam them freely without any extra animation time factored in afaik for something like fireball (or are they? Maybe I'm wrong on that, I haven't looked close). I can pretty well understand the logical necessity for not being able to cast lightning warp until the movement has occurred on the previous lightning warp, or else you'd have people 'bouncing' from locations back and forth which would feel wrong- but why not scale the resizing effect of players being 'shrunk' via shaders with cast speed to make the total cast time of the spell maintain a constant ratio? Ie if it normally took 0.15 seconds on each end, and you had +200% cast speed, it could take 0.05 seconds. Or is it some kind of technical limitation? Or have it scale with reduced duration, either way makes sense

Right now lets say its ~0.15 seconds on each end, your total cast time in consecutive lightning warps would be:

|Cast Time|movement delay|~0.15 delay|~0.15 delay|
The cast time scales with % cast speed, the movement delay scales with +% movement effects and reduced duration. But the delay is immutable?

Maybe I'm just missing the reasoning behind it, if its an animation outweighing gameplay concerns. Well thanks for taking the time to look at it, and thanks for the explanation
Last edited by clan_iraq on Nov 26, 2013, 10:53:14 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info