Exception error? "Decoded no data"

I've never had any issues with Path of Exile until today. I was probably about 20 minutes into a session and I went to zone into the Chamber of Sins level 1 from Crossroads when I notice that it takes a LOT longer to load than usual. I then get a BSOD.

I restart my PC and load PoE up again and the load lag comes up again. I immediately ALT+TAB out and notice an Exception window with the following:

"
Audio/Sound Effects/MonsterSounds/Spiders/SpiderWalk1.loop.ogg": Decoded no data

I click OK and the same error comes up twice more (total of three error messages).

After the third one, another Exception error occurs saying this:

"
Metadata/Monsters/Spiders/SpiderScale2@58" Decoded no data
Above errors are from base class: Audio/Sound Effects/MonsterSounds/Spiders/SpiderWalk1.loop.ogg

This same error message also appears again and again until I get a "PathOfExile.exe has stopped working" error message..."A problem caused the program to stop working correctly..." blah blah blah.

I have NEVER received ANY error messages like this one and I've not played since this latest patch so as far as I know, something may have gone wrong.

I've viewed similar BSOD posts here on the Support Forum but none that specifically had the error messages I'd listed above or I wouldn't have made my own thread.

I tried the workaround double hyphen commands and none of them work. The game still crashes whenever I try to zone into the Chamber of Sins. Ironically enough, this doesn't seem to affect any other zones yet that I've got access to in Act 2. Those all load without any issues.

I love this game and have purchased your $270 supporter pack but this Exception error has now made my game unplayable. I really don't want something like this ruin my entire experience and also make me feel as though I will never truly get my supporter pack's money's worth. I worked hard and I enjoy my games.

I've got a Creative Labs SB X-Fi with the latest drivers installed.

I'd appreciate some assistance. I'm more than willing to go to the necessary lengths to remedy this and not feel slighted. GGG is a great company and I know that this will come to the right resolution.

Thank you for your time.

EDIT: Ran PackCheck and it stated that everything was in sync. Also, using -swa did not work, either. And it also is referencing a completely different OGG file name now.

EDIT 2: Updated the driver from within Windows 7 using the Device Manager. Updated the driver that way and removed any kind of -swa command from the launcher and it works perfectly again!
Last edited by nytehaven on Nov 17, 2013, 2:44:45 PM
getting the same erros almost every time i enter a map (chance is 7 out of 10....).

this is really anoying, especially as a summoner that looses its army!!!!
I am no native speaker, so my english might not be "perfect".
Please forgive me any mistakes i might make ;).
"
Ulathar wrote:
getting the same erros almost every time i enter a map (chance is 7 out of 10....).

this is really anoying, especially as a summoner that looses its army!!!!

Did you try anything that was previously suggested?

Do you have a dedicated sound card (like a Creative card)?

Have you tried using -swa or running a PackCheck as Administrator?
- I tried deleting the Content package / clean install of the game -> no corrupted files
- I tried the "--softwareaudio" and "-swa" start parameter

both methods did not help :(.

€dit:
yes i do have an Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD.
And no other games have problems with it (i am also NOT getting those BSODs many people are reporting in the forums with an Creative card).

€dit2:
yes also checked twice with the PackCheck.exe -> no corrupted files found
Last edited by Ulathar on Dec 6, 2013, 1:21:18 PM
"
Ulathar wrote:
yes i do have an Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium HD.
And no other games have problems with it (i am also NOT getting those BSODs many people are reporting in the forums with an Creative card).

The problem isn't always that it does a BSOD.. The problem is that Creative cards have an issue with the Vorbis OGG formatted data. Usually updating the drivers and/or using -swa will fix the problem.. but I have seen cases where people still got the errors after that, and the only way they resolved it was by disabling/removing the Creative card with Path of Exile.

I know that's not a great solution, but it's a problem with how the sound cards deal with the audio... take it up with them. I use an on-board Realtek audio without issues... it's just something with those Creative cards (mainly). Not sure why they don't properly support the format yet. It's been around long enough.
well it's not like PoE is the only game using oog formatted data.... but poe is the only one that has problems on my rig -.-.
And no, disabling the card is no option.

is there a difference between --softwareaudio and -swa? if not i am through with those "options".
Oh and did i mention that it got MUCH worse in 1.x.x compared to the open beta?

And one last point: as far as i know there are no newer drivers available for my card (the latest driver i could find on the website is years old).
I have this same problem: “Audio/Sound Effects/MosnterSounds/Spiders/Idle_07.ogg” :Decoded no data
and:
Metadata/Mosnter/Spiders/SpiderSmall@17

Any clue? Help?
I'm just throwing this in. I had the same issues with zoning and getting errors about ogg files. I was using a SB X-fi Extreme Gamer. After reading a lot of posts it became apparent that the problem was driver/hardware related. I had the latest driver.

I saw a post in which someone stated that he upgraded his card from an X-fi card to a Z card and it solved his problems. I used this as an excuse to upgrade my card to a SoundBlaster Z card.

You know what? It worked. No more crashes.

Like I said, I'm just throwing this in. I am not suggesting that a new soundcard is the best or only fix.
Last edited by Dbratton on Jan 8, 2014, 10:47:32 PM
I'm having this problem as well. But with no "labeled" sound card. Mine is integrated into the motherboard (Gigabyte something something numbers letters).

It's gotten worse since 1.0.6.
I get it about once every half an hour.

Earlier it happened maybe once every two-three hours or so.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2628127
- Check out my thread. #1 pdps synth explosion foil (600pdps + HCBE), and more.
IGN:
@Egren_EthicsConsultant
@Path_Of_Exile
"
Egren wrote:
I'm having this problem as well. But with no "labeled" sound card. Mine is integrated into the motherboard (Gigabyte something something numbers letters).

It's gotten worse since 1.0.6.
I get it about once every half an hour.

Earlier it happened maybe once every two-three hours or so.

Please post the exact details of the error as well as a dxdiag export in a NEW thread.

Please refer to the "Rules" sticky post at the top of this forum for more information.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info