Viper strike and traps in low level pvp

I havent seen any threads addressing this yet, so i guess i'll post about it.

Viper strike is absolutely insane in low level pvp, you can just get any gear on any build, get a viper strike and some traps, and its insta-win.

bear trap does way too much damage in pvp in general, but in low level its even more annoying.

The main problem with these skills, beyond the fact that they are overpowered is that there is no way to counteract them, apart from getting extremely high life regen for viper strike, a thing that is very hard to get considering you can get to level 28 only.
Bear trap can not be blocked, and can not be evaded, theres just no way to counter that skill.

Another point i'd like to make, is just nerf Voll's Baptism, for gods sake that thing can kill anyone with a few hits, the damage is just too high for it's level.

I carve and sell real animal skulls, check out my work here: https://www.instagram.com/victorseiche/
https://www.facebook.com/victorseicheart/
World first Uber Atziri as 2h and 2h RT build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1058950
Highest level char in Closed Beta, Wytchfindergeneral
Last edited by VictorDoom on Nov 28, 2012, 8:14:49 AM
Agreed on viper strike.

Best counter for bear trap is to remember where your opponent layed it and if possible destroy it with cold snap/sweep/ground slam i think aoe in genereal destroys it but im not 100%sure.

The real problem with bear traps seem to be the possibility of having multiple bear traps which can be used to avoid the cooldown.

I think the problem with volls is that its too easy to get. so everybody and their mom's running around with it. :/
they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety
You can destroy traps of your opponent by throwing a trap at the same location, or placing a totem on that spot.

I'm not sure how exactly Viper strike should be changed / nerfed, but currently its probably really a bit too strong.

At max lvl 28 is currently possible to get 4-5k dps without Diamond Flask, and up to 13,8k dps (personal record) with Diamond Flask active, so if some1 with a beastly dps like that hits you 1 time, or 2-3 times if you are really tanky it means your certain death.

I think, that matchmaking + lot more of people playing pvp would solve a lot of balance issues, and would make pvp way better.

In order to get more people playing pvp it would be really helpful to have some nice PvP tournaments with some really nice prizes. Especially some 3v3 Tournaments should be a lot of fun. :)
I have a viper strike lvl 28 dueler and have found multiple players that ware able to atleast withstand the damage it does. (by regen/pots/totems). Although viper strike is very effective I wouldn't like to state that its overpowered.

There are a few options that are atleast equaly strong (crit Flicker/stuning or freezing/crit bowing).

In other words: It can be countered
Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Hardcore to the bone.
Viper strike is indeed very strong in low level pvp, allthough there are some counters to it :
-High life, high hp regen : somewhat lessen the effect of it
-High crit, surgeon's flask : allows to perma heal yourself
-Springleaf unique shield : with a high hp pool, this allows you to simply ignore viper strike when on low life
-High burst dps builds : go for a totally different way and kill the bastard faster than he vipers you :p

That said, viper strike should be able to be blocked and should have its damage lowered by a factor of like 20% at level 28 and it should be fine.

Traps are fine and can be countered by something as simple as a level 1 Arc gem.
Last edited by Hexaste on Jan 4, 2013, 1:52:52 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info