Summary thread on combining Fork, Chain, LMP, and Pierce

I'd like make this thread a comprehensive destination for the community on how the different projectile interact. Would like your opinions and accumulated knowledge, please. :D

First thing to note:
= Pierce does not work well with Chain and Fork. A projectile that pierces cannot chain or fork, so if you have 100% pierce like Freezing Pulse or high-% pierce through stats & gems you won't get the benefits of Fork or chain.

= Arc is not a projectile, and will only work with chain of the four listed here.

= = =
Notes in Chain and Fork:
= Fork will only fork on the initial projectile. It is not possible to get a fission reaction.

= Chain will bounce to a nearby target, effectively creating another projectile with (chain-1). EDIT: 3-target testing indicates that the preference seems to be nearest target in range not yet struck by chain, followed by the closest targets that has.

Interactions between two gems:
- Chain+Fork: the initial projectile will hit and fork into two, and then the two projectiles will each chain if they hit someone else.

- Fork+Pierce: both initial projectiles and the forked projectiles will have a chance to pierce. Initial projectile will not fork until it fails to pierce.

- Chain+Pierce: If the initial projectile fails to pierce, it will begin chaining. Each chained projectile will only chain again if it fails to pierce.

- LMP+others: It increases the number of initial projectile only. So Chain+LMP will produce three separate chains.

- Chain/Fork and attack skills: Since attack skills have a chance to hit, a chained projectile that fails to hit will simply keep going. (It will chain again if it hits someone else.) Maximising chance to hit is probably a good idea.

= = =
AOE:
Skills that currently trigger their AoE effect whenever a monster is hit (works with every hit of chain, fork, and pierce):
- Lightning Arrow
- Poison Arrow
- Ice patch of Arctic Breath.

Skills that only trigger AoE when the projectile explode (will not do AoE as you chain, pierce, or with the initial hit spawning the forks):
- Fireball
- Skull of arctic breath.

Skills that I don't know and don't have:
- Explosive Arrow
- Ice shot

= = =
Notes on actual use and balance concerns:
(May fill in. Most of my current opinions comes from the alpha realm, so....)
Last edited by zharmad on Nov 2, 2012, 6:17:32 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
A very useful thread to have, thanks for posting it.

I'm currently running Spark + Fork + LMP and it is kind of silly. Within moments the entire room is buzzing with projectiles. I can cast for a few moments then stop, the projectiles still bouncing around will finish off whats left up.

Its kinda hard to tell whether or not I'm successfully shotgunning or not, there are a lot of projectiles to keep track off.
Last edited by Waves_blade on Nov 1, 2012, 5:44:24 PM
I was very disappointed to find the Freezing Pulse not being able to fork. IMO it would be great if spells with 100% pierce chance would prioritize fork before pierce.
Thanks alot for the post, helps me out a bunch.
I'm looking for information on how pierce and lmp work and how pierce and ice shot works.

I'll probably run the test tomorrow and hopefully get some anwsers.
"
Chaotk wrote:
I'm looking for information on how pierce and lmp work and how pierce and ice shot works.

I'll probably run the test tomorrow and hopefully get some anwsers.

Ice Shot explodes when it fails to pierce or hits terrain. So it'll only explode when it doesn't pierce. If it does pierce, it'll continue going until it hits another enemy and doesn't pierce. LMP just adds more projectiles.
What about Chain + Exp Arrow? I cannot afford a Chain gem ATM... still fairly new to the game. the combo intrigues me though; Chain + Exp Arrow + Mana Reduc? put this in a QR, stack Fire Dmg nodes. What you all think? Like I said I am still new and haven't figured out all of the mechanics.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info