Another Reason not to PVP

What is the point in not being able to group with your friends if they using a different Gateway.

Its absurd.

You dont have to change gateways for joining instances and questing so why make people change for pvp ?

Just another reason to not bother with pvp.
Its only money. May as well spend it here.

Buy beta.

Please Do Not PM me if you have no sense of humour as to what i say on forums.
Yea I was sitting in the pvp queue on Singapore gateway for ages before I jumped to the american gateway and got frozen er I mean a match quickly.
The reason for this decision is because of how important latency is in PvP. We want you to be making the choice of switching to what is potentially a higher latency realm if you want to PvP on that realm, rather than having you randomly placed on another gateway that could mean you have a severe disadvantage.
Balance & Design
As far as I know you should be able to PvP with your party members that are in different gateways. Just make sure you are in a party together in the same town.
Path of Exile - Lead Programmer
So latency is still going to be an issue for whoever has to change gateways from singapore to either America or Europe. (or vice versa)

So it is pretty much not worth it if you think about it in that way. As there is a chance that 1 person is still going to lag by being in different country.

Pretty much the gateways from what i can see were designed to lessen this issue with latency and choosing to log on nearer a server. Which in fact in PVP means nothing. As people are being forced to change and to have latency issues.

Nothing has changed people still at a disadvantage straight away. You dont see other online games with grouping or pvp going on telling people if you want to play with your friends then you have to log onto a certain server.

Thanks for replys Jonathan and Rory.
Its only money. May as well spend it here.

Buy beta.

Please Do Not PM me if you have no sense of humour as to what i say on forums.
Last edited by Stretch163 on Nov 1, 2012, 2:46:18 AM
Other games that support multiple realms either:
a) Do not allow you to play PvP between the realms.
b) Have exactly the same latency issue where some people are lagged due to their distance to the server.

We happen to allow people to switch gateways if they understand that their latency will be affected and still want to play against a specific queue.

Once we have enough player concurrency to have full queues on all the gateways, this won't be an issue.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
No it's a great decision to do things this way. If I want to pvp in SEA down time I can switch to American servers and know I am going to lag. Better that than getting one player from Europe in a group of SEA players and getting auto routed to the EU server, that would just plain fail. It's not like we are restricted from picking these different regions or having to play with different char's in each region like some games.
I was just surprised by this as I did not see any information about pvp queue's being based on the gateway.
Last edited by ElectroFriedBees on Nov 1, 2012, 4:02:13 AM
Couldn't GGG simply add an option in the menu which when ticked allows for pvp from any where? It saves us having to search for gateways for potential pvp opponents. or switching gateways to play a different group of people.

In a game like this I don't think latency has nearly the same alteration to gameplay compared to fps games and such.

On another note

When can we expect to see pvp tournaments with prizes?
IGN --- Grizdale
Last edited by Grizdale on Nov 1, 2012, 5:41:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info