Devouring Totem

This doesn't appear to eat the carrion birds' corpses in the Imperial Garden, is that a bug?

e: works in normal, not in merc. Will retest.

e2: In merc, it doesn't seem to work if it's down before the carrion birds are killed, whereas a freshly planted totem will eat the corpses ok.
Last edited by Lungboy on Jan 6, 2014, 5:10:58 AM
Yes, faster casting makes it eat corpses faster.

I don't know if it has to do with how frequently it polls the area for corpses, but the totem's casting is very inconsistent. You can spawn it directly onto a pile of corpses (after /oos) with a character that is not on full life/mana and it will sometimes fail to recognize them.
Does this scale with damage modifiers?
Devouring Totem does not deal Damage.
This skill bound with CWDT and desecrate works extremely well.

Love this interaction for nemesis, as I can go afk in small groups of mobs and regen easily, and leech back health and mana for my MoM when I am face tanking big groups with my coc set up.
I'm finding this totem really unreliable. Sometimes on cast, it starts devouring straight away, no problems. Other times i cast and it sits there while i'm on >50% health and mana. Usually if i recast it, it will start consuming... but raising two totems is a high mana cost for my build :(

"
kager wrote:
This skill bound with CWDT and desecrate works extremely well.

Love this interaction for nemesis, as I can go afk in small groups of mobs and regen easily, and leech back health and mana for my MoM when I am face tanking big groups with my coc set up.

This.

High level CwDT + Devouring Totem
Low level CwDT + Desecrate

The only thing I'd add is that this is insanely good for dual totem builds. If you cannot leech yourself, regen map mods hurt like hell. No regen is almost impossible, and half regen still sucks because 6L totems are some of the highest mana costs in the game.

Devouring totem by itself will help a LOT, making half regen maps easy, and no regen maps playable, but against certain enemies with strong AOE you'll still end up unable to cast totems after a bit if they don't summon minions (Mostly exiles are problematic, bosses usually have plenty of minions to fight).

You can also take out the CwDT links and put them in your inventory to manually cast DT/Desecrate if you want to regen a bit between fights. 10 mana per cast (3 corpses) of level 1 desecrate vs 17 mana regen of level 1 devouring totem (per corpse) means you have a net gain of mana per desecrate cast as long as you can get a devouring totem up.

And yes, I could just avoid regen destroying map mods, but since i play as a dual totem MF culler who plays with high dps/leech party who don't care at all about regen mods, it's quite annoying for the group to reroll otherwise amazing maps so the culler can come along and be useful.

TL;DR Finally a way for dual totem builds to have a reliable method of regaining mana and life on no regen maps.
Currently playing a lvl 60 Raging Spirits summoner at the docks, with Ancestral Bond for both a skeltotem and Devouring Totem. The DT is casting when my life is capped. I can be at full life, cast DT, and it starts eating any new corpses. This makes it pretty much useless for me since it doesn't let me use Flesh Offering, which is pretty vital. I have it linked to Increased AOE along with Vulnerability.

Edit: It's not the AOE, took that out and the same behavior occurs.
Last edited by waraw on May 19, 2014, 2:33:10 PM
Quick questions regarding leech rate:

1) If I have gloves with Vorici's signature mod which give me +40% Life Leech Rate will it affect the Devouring Totem?

2) If I link a life leech or mana leech gem with 20% quality on my devouring totem will the increased life and mana leech rate be applied?

Sorry if this has been asked before.
"
waraw wrote:
Currently playing a lvl 60 Raging Spirits summoner at the docks, with Ancestral Bond for both a skeltotem and Devouring Totem. The DT is casting when my life is capped. I can be at full life, cast DT, and it starts eating any new corpses. This makes it pretty much useless for me since it doesn't let me use Flesh Offering, which is pretty vital. I have it linked to Increased AOE along with Vulnerability.

Edit: It's not the AOE, took that out and the same behavior occurs.

I don't see any fault in that. This skill doesn't discriminate about a players situation (hp bar etc.) and just devours corpses. It's the players responsibility to work out interactions with their build and other skills to bring benefits too full potential, not the other way round.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info