Newbie ranger startup guide

I'm currently doing a Ranger in the Domination league, with a "classic" build : hp, evasion, bow, crit. Here is the planned skilltree i made quickly. Is it viable or the evasion is still too much crappy alone with too much high damage peaks in the end-game and/or before ?

I already saw how the armor worked before, when i was leveling my marauder (lvl 72). But for the evasion, i don't know what kind of evasion rate i can get later on with a correct stuff self-looted.

Edit : Btw, i don't see the point with Blood Magic. With high damage dealt, a little mana leech affix somewhere will do the trick. And before, one or two mana potions is enough. Unwavering Stance & BM are so far away.
Last edited by Harest on Oct 24, 2013, 3:47:46 PM
"
Harest wrote:
I'm currently doing a Ranger in the Domination league, with a "classic" build : hp, evasion, bow, crit. Here is the planned skilltree i made quickly. Is it viable or the evasion is still too much crappy alone with too much high damage peaks in the end-game and/or before ?

I already saw how the armor worked before, when i was leveling my marauder (lvl 72). But for the evasion, i don't know what kind of evasion rate i can get later on with a correct stuff self-looted.

Edit : Btw, i don't see the point with Blood Magic. With high damage dealt, a little mana leech affix somewhere will do the trick. And before, one or two mana potions is enough. Unwavering Stance & BM are so far away.

I'm really interested in knowing if this is viable because this is the sort of build I was looking towards doing.
Honestly, I don't currently have a good read on how much evasion is "enough" for endgame play. I did a build based on armor rather than evasion, so I'm not an expert on that particular topic.
Last edited by Ikariusrb on Oct 24, 2013, 4:20:34 PM
Thanks for all those info Ikarius (and the others.)

I think I'll go Blood Magic cause there is Savagery (+ 1 Frenzy charge) and Golem's Blood + Diamond Flesh on the way. Useful to catch Iron grip later on also, with enough strength to make it useful. And finally to save the BM gem for something else.

I don't think I'll go for Iron Reflexes + Unwavering Stance. I'll save (at least) 5 passive points and try my luck with evasion. Plus, if I understand well, because dexterity doesn't give evasion anymore with Iron Reflexes, the evasion converted into armor is only from stuff.

IGN : Koi_Fish_Girl
Last edited by Citizen_Sane on Oct 25, 2013, 10:55:48 AM
Fair enough. I like the freedom to put on pieces which are evasion only, evasion + armor, or armor only while leveling, and then it's a few points which can easily be dropped later via free respec points/regrets, but that's only a preference. I'm glad to provide any help I can :)
Up cause I think this thread is useful.
IGN : Koi_Fish_Girl
Wow! Excellent stuff. This answers a lot of questions I've had about rangers.

I was thinking of doing a very similar build to this, but in swapping LA for RoA and going for the life leech node (2%) and trying to get life steal on my gear. How viable is this? Would it be viable with LA? I prefer LA, but it seems like it may not have as much synergy with life stealing (being elemental damage and whatnot).

Not sure what other nodes I should take, after those and the ones you've put forward. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks for your time!
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgIBAF4B5wguFHEZjhpVG8gppTboQapDMUp9TipW-luvXhNhIWSjZ6CE74d2m42fy6cwtkHTft0N37_tg-4O73r8xQ==

maybe you need to update it to the new patches ^^
I don't think the author has been around in 7 months. You should look at the sticky thread for build guides.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info