Mechanics Question: Converted Physical and Effect Based on Physical

My question is about a bow that converts 25% of my physical damage to chaos damage, and then deals 25% physical damage back to me.

If I have other items or skills that total to 100% or more physical damage converted to other forms, I will be dealing no actual physical damage when the attack lands on a target.

Is the damage that I take calculated from the actual final physical damage that affects my target, or does it use the same calculation it used to determine the chaos damage in my attack?

My other question is, if my number exceeds 100% between different types of damage, how does the game decide what damage type to truncate?

My final build will have 25% to cold, 25% to chaos, 44% to fire on items. I plan to use Lightning Arrow for another 50% converted, taking me to 144% normally.

I have seen a developer response saying that you cannot exceed 100% through conversions, but I am not sure exactly what the result will be.
"
Tenzek wrote:
My other question is, if my number exceeds 100% between different types of damage, how does the game decide what damage type to truncate?

My final build will have 25% to cold, 25% to chaos, 44% to fire on items. I plan to use Lightning Arrow for another 50% converted, taking me to 144% normally.

I have seen a developer response saying that you cannot exceed 100% through conversions, but I am not sure exactly what the result will be.
To answer this part:

The elemental conversion of your attack skill takes precedence over all other modifiers. If the other modifiers then exceed 100%, they are divided over the remaining amount.

In your example, your physical damage will be converted to 50% Lightning, ~24% Fire, ~13% Cold and ~13% Chaos.

Don't ask me for exact percentages :P
Last edited by 0nin on Sep 28, 2012, 2:33:17 PM
You said that the elemental portion will have top priority. Well, fire, lightning, and cold are all elemental.

What makes it choose the lightning?
"
Tenzek wrote:
What makes it choose the lightning?

"
0nin wrote:
The elemental conversion of your attack skill takes precedence over all other modifiers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info