Radeon mobile + Intel 4000 switchable graphics problems

I have a decently high-end Dell laptop, the best Dell Inspiron 15r Special Edition laptop available to be exact. http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15r-se-7520/pd

Now, this system uses Radeon's "switchable graphics" feature. It prompts you to assign a graphics setup for every program. For example, the Catalyst Control panel will ask me if I want to run a certain program in "low power" or in "high power" mode. The lower power mode defaults to my Intel 4000 onboard graphics, while the high power mode defaults to the 2gb Radeon 7400m graphics card. The laptop doesn't turn on the dedicated card unless you tell it to by picking high or low power mode. This setup is quite common on new laptops running Radeon mobile cards.

However, most programs default to the Intel 4000 until you re-assign them. When prompted to pick which graphic program I should run Path of Exile in, I chose the Radeon 7400m. After all, it is the far, far superior option. It runs Battlefield 3 on medium to high settings. And, like Battlefield, I would like to see Path of Exile in all it's glory and enjoy the hard work you guys have put into it.

Anyway, it seems like Path of Exile auto detects which graphics setup to use and cannot be reassigned. I assigned the game's exe file (client.exe) to run with the Radeon 7400m, but in the options menu in-game, it still shows the game as running the Intel 4000 graphics option. While I can adjust many of the settings, the in-game settings do not allow me to pick a different graphics adapter.

Is there a way to make Path of Exile use my Radeon 7400m, and if not, is this something that will be fixed in future versions of the game?

Many thanks,
Starbuck2907

Last edited by starbuck2907 on Sep 16, 2012, 12:07:33 PM
Last bumped on May 9, 2017, 12:00:51 PM
If it's not letting you switch, this will likely be because the PC is taking control, and the game can't manually switch because the graphics card does that. It should still be using your Radeon card, even if it won't let PoE detect that. Let me know if this isn't the case!
Balance & Design
"
Rory wrote:
If it's not letting you switch, this will likely be because the PC is taking control, and the game can't manually switch because the graphics card does that. It should still be using your Radeon card, even if it won't let PoE detect that. Let me know if this isn't the case!

Many thanks for the reply. However, I am unsure how to tell if it is using the card or not... I'll pay attention and see if it is throwing out any extra heat when I play. My secondary fans should kick on at some point, I think.
I have the same issue, switchable graphics with AMD 7970M. I've manually set the graphics processor to the AMD card and it shows Path of Exile clint.exe. Yet going back into the game reveals only the Intel processor as a possible graphics card.

I am having the same issue too. Setting to high performance which generally works for other games is not allowing the switch from integrated to dedicated graphics cards

I have the same issue, switchable graphics with AMD 7970M. I've manually set the graphics processor to the AMD card and it shows Path of Exile clint.exe. Yet going back into the game reveals only the Intel processor as a possible graphics card.

my laptop is quite good (can run most games full hd @ max settings)
but your game looks REALLY AWEFULL with that Intel HD crap card... :(

More Informations about it:

Alienware M17x

Intel Core i7-3610QM (6MB Cache, up to 3.3GHz w/ Turbo Boost
2.0)

Display : 17.3" WideFHD (1920 x 1080) WLED LCD

2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 7970M

8192MB (2x4096) 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

500GB 7,200rpm SATA 6Gb/s HDD

BluRay Combo (Blu-ray read only, DVD, CD read & write)

Last edited by seeboo on Jan 26, 2013, 1:34:24 PM
Same issue here with a Dell laptop. NVidia 525M not being selected over Intel HD integrated chip. Game is unplayable.
Same here. I wonder if we had assigned the client.exe before starting the game the first time if it would have selected the correct card.
If you have nvidia optimus, just right click the game shortcut and select your graphics manually.
"
blzd13 wrote:
If you have nvidia optimus, just right click the game shortcut and select your graphics manually.

Thanks, this works for me.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info