What was Path of Exile like five years ago?

Note that the first 49 seconds are from the recent 0.11.1 patch!
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
Last edited by Chris on Jul 2, 2013, 9:39:48 PM
"
Wooser69 wrote:
Chris! Your voice got deeper!

I was probably just holding the microphone differently :P

I didn't pre-script and read the text for this video, I was just making it up as I went, so that may affect my tone.
Lead Developer. Follow us on: Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Contact Support if you need help!
0.2.0 marked the introduction of our (basic) random dungeon generation system, my first task at GGG. It was made for our 2008 Xmas party, in our then-new office, and was playable to our friends and family who attended.

There were 9 or so levels of increasing difficulty, culminating in an epic battle against our very first boss: Chatters, the giant skeleton. Of course, there were no skills for him (or the player) to use, so the fight wasn't super interesting...

It was still fun, though, to stack 5 points into run speed and zoom around 75% faster than normal.

We had:
-Only one character class (Ranger)
-No sound
-No skills
-No minimap/overlay map
-No town
-No quests or NPCs
-No area transitions (you had to click on certain bone piles)

Good times.
Code warrior
"
kungfooe wrote:
I was wondering what games you were drawing from for inspiration (besides Diablo of course) during this time frame. The old version of the game makes me think of Dungeon Siege. Where do your ideas for development come from as you've been working on PoE (especially before there was a major community)?

Yep, Diablo, Dungeon Siege, also Guild Wars, Titan Quest, rogue-likes... and I'm probably forgetting a few.
Code warrior

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info