[SUGESTION/IDEA]Solution to anarchy on global chat and all humanity problems :P

This thread: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/37864

Make me think about solutions and i must say - THERE IS ONE.

Exiled Service Department!

What it is? It is a group of volunteers players that gives their free time to moderate chats and asking questions of newbies.

In Eve something like that (ISD) works like a charm (full descriptions of EVE solutions in spoiler tag):

"
Support Team and Resources [STAR]

STAR is the branch of the volunteer program that helps with player support. We specialize in helping players, new and old with any questions or problems they may have. One of our duties is to personally greet new players, giving them a good start in the game as well as welcoming them to the Eve universe. We also maintain a presence in the help channels providing moderation, support and answering questions where required. Our work can be challenging but is also extremely rewarding.

We are looking for volunteers with extensive in game knowledge and the ability to cope with stressful situations. If you are patient, have good communication skills and that all important sense of humor then why not apply to join us?

Spoiler
NTERSTELLAR SERVICES DEPARTMENT (ISD)

THE ISD PROGRAM

The Interstellar Services Department (ISD) is a long standing group of volunteers, split into several teams who graciously share their free time in order to assist in a variety of tasks that all go towards supporting and enriching the players experiences in the world of EVE. Many of the employee’s of CCP originated from the volunteer program, which only goes to show you in how high regard we hold it. We are always looking for more players to join our dedicated teams and ISD is a great environment in which to lend your time and expertise.

Please find below information about the ISD volunteer teams.

THE ISD TEAMS

There are several branches in the program and each has its own area of interest.

Equipment Certification and Anomaly Investigations Division. [ECAID]

ECAID is the volunteer team that works on quality assurance testing and bug hunting for all new patches and expansions. We work closely with CCP´s QA team to ensure that as many bugs and glitches are found and resolved before release dates. We work tirelessly to test all new features and reported issues from the player base, once verifying a bug we assignment them to a defect which is grabbed by the Quality Assurance team and passed on to the appropriate division to be resolved.

We receive very many applications to our team, and we are always looking for new bug hunters. However please note that we process applications in batches, so you may have to wait a short time before getting your application handled. If you are interested in regression tests, testing the limits of game features and generally getting into the thick of game mechanics with the goal of making the EVE Universe a better place, then this team is for you!

Interstellar Correspondents [IC]

IC is a group of players who dedicate their time and energy to ISD to bring a wealth of news to the universe of EVE, surrounding anything and everything to do with player-driven events. From fleet battles through racing leagues to alliance tournaments, we aim to bring a broad spectrum of news coverage straight to your screen. Our reporters find stories, research them, interview relevant parties and produce the player news that can be found in the Player News Center, on the login screen and in-game. In more general terms, it is IC’s goal to become the source of player-driven news within the universe of EVE and a news organization that stands out from that which exists in any other MMORPG, past, present and future.

We are looking for enthusiastic, self-motivating players with a core interest in player skills to assist with producing our output. Very solid writing abilities and the aforementioned passion for our output is a requirement of every applicant. The division is an amazing, vibrant, friendly, team-oriented place to be in and if you wish to be a part of this, you are encouraged to apply without delay you won’t regret it.

IC have also recently begun an embedded reporting system for factional warfare which you can read about here

Mercury [M]

Mercury is a small team of volunteers that have specialized in everything fiction. Our job is to work with the CCP storyline department in the creation of fiction in many shapes or forms, be it news articles, descriptions, full fictional documents or whatever else is needed. Next to that we also have the chance to tell our own stories set in the world of EVE.

We are looking for volunteers that have passion for the background story of EVE and a very detailed knowledge of it. Creativity as well as very good English and writing skills are an absolute must. You have to be able to write under a deadline and still maintain a high level of activity and a constant output of fiction. If you feel that you have what we are looking for then please apply now

Support Team and Resources [STAR]

STAR is the branch of the volunteer program that helps with player support. We specialize in helping players, new and old with any questions or problems they may have. One of our duties is to personally greet new players, giving them a good start in the game as well as welcoming them to the Eve universe. We also maintain a presence in the help channels providing moderation, support and answering questions where required. Our work can be challenging but is also extremely rewarding.

We are looking for volunteers with extensive in game knowledge and the ability to cope with stressful situations. If you are patient, have good communication skills and that all important sense of humor then why not apply to join us?

Yulai Archives & Record Repository Team [YARR]

The YARR team are a group of volunteers who administrate the EVElopedia. It is our goal to support the community in making the EVElopedia an up to date, useful and easy to use resource.We do this by monitoring new content added to the EVElopedia, finding and reporting bugs to CCP and adding new official content such as Dev blogs and patch notes. The Yulai Archives & Record Repository Team looks for new volunteers that are enthusiastic about eve and have a wide knowledge of EVE online. Good language skills, Mediawiki experience and document presentation skills are also important. If you have these skills and wish to help out the EVE community then we look forward to receiving your application

Community Communication Liaisons [CCL]

The CCL team are a group of volunteers who monitor the official EVE Online forum. It is their goal to support the community by helping to maintain the forums as a healthy venue for discussion and enhancing communication between CCP and players. The CCL team points out threads to the Community team who can then bring them to the attention of the relevant developers and teams. Simply put, the CCL can quickly bring issues to the attention of the Community team so they can get answers to the players as quickly as possible.

We are always looking for volunteers who are patient yet passionate about EVE Online and our community. If you are eager to help us develop the game, make the forums a better place and make sure the players' voice is heard, we would love to have you aboard!

APPLYING FOR ISD

If any of this interests you then we would love to hear from you. ISD maintains a fun and productive outlook on volunteering and are always looking for the right kind of people to add to our teams.

To apply for a position within ISD you need to be 18 or over and hold an active subscribed account in EVE Online. If you achieve these requirements then please fill out the online application, choosing the team that you wish to apply for and answering the questions to the best of your ability.

Once you have applied you may have to wait a short time for the application to get processed by the volunteer team leads who, if they think you are suitable, will invite you for an interview and you then begin your application process.

Applicants will be subject to a background check pertaining to their activities within EVE Online and successful applicants will be required to sign an ISD Terms of Service and Non Disclosure agreements.

Apply now, ISD needs you!

I will not focus on whole thing now but i will focus only on newbie help and chat moderation:

What GGG must do?

1. Make chat channels happen
2. Create "newbie help" that is ON BY DEFAULT for the first 14 days of play (just like in EVE). Later you may join this channel manually ofc.
3. Make that there IS ALWAYS ONE volunteer player or GGG EMPLOYEE that will give answers for 'how do i use skill gems" questions. :)
4. Make some players (trusted oommunity members and volunteers) have moderation priveledges/create chanells/mute etc.. on global chats.
5. PROFIT?

Trust me - IT WILL WORK. It works in EVE. In EVE some players found enyjoyable 'teaching' the game i dont see a reason that it cant happen in PoE (its not EVE level complicated but i assume that with patches and expansioons it will have more and more systems.
The 'newbie channel' in EVE is always bursting with activity (no trolling involved), you may ask common querstion there, you may ask 'what is better for char XX", 'is build xx good choice for first char?' and a lot more.

I would love yo see something like that in PoE. Sitting on this channel and 'teaching newbies" are one of my best memories from EVE. Good feelings . :)

/discusss

TL;DR - sorry there is none. :/

PS. To mods. I know that there is a topic on first page about this but i think this idea deserves some attentio from GGG and a new topic. If i post this in ecxisting topic it will be buried alive by other posts.
Last edited by Kabraxis on Jul 9, 2012, 9:14:08 AM
There is an FAQ on the General Forums that answers most noobish questions. People just simply don't read or refuse to with the mindset that they shouldn't have to go out of game to get information. Which is totally invalid and when there is is easy access to the information it is entirely what they should be doing.

Some sort of in game chat mods would be a good idea. They are making some changes to chat eventually though.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/36608
FAQ made through many hours of enduring global chat in Normal

I don't know how many times I've said this, but it's a lot: there will be full-time chat moderation in the game, as well as a report feature.

There will also be tutorial elements in the game. This is discussed in the Beta Manifesto.
Closed Beta/Alpha Tester back after a 10-year hiatus.
Kiwi pets and Spark spam FTW.
Last edited by WhiteBoy on Jul 9, 2012, 9:36:20 AM
1. I dont honestly care about 24h moderation ingame but if you dont notice my idea give the same effect without spending a dollar by GGG.

2. Tutorial in complex games dont work. Its common fact.
Newbie Help channel id far better dea than 2 min tutorial that explains only basics. I dont even mention that PoE is a game with 90% mechanics hidden and no described ingame (for example support gems combinations with normal gems or even something that trivial like elemental status effects).

Something like this (help channel with players volunteers) FITS PERFECTLY in game like PoE.
Tutorial will change nothing. Im bt that ity will make EVEN MORE question right after players will complete it.

Its my last post in this thread because creating wall of text with ideas and arguments only to get two liner snarky moderator response "everything is fine' is not rly encouraging to give feedback and ideas.

I really hope that someone from GG will read this.

Also i really hope that forum moderators will focus on important things (you can for example mark some threads for GGG as 'important' - i dont talk about mine atm) not only giving rtesponses like above to player with almost a year lifespan in beta (yes i know what is in beta manifesto - shocker i know).

I may be bashed for this, but the best way to reduce trolling and other negativity Is to implement an Auction House and a ingame wiki/help.
What I have suggested so far:
http://tinyurl.com/bwas8ss
http://tinyurl.com/d6zmjfk
http://tinyurl.com/cpcvb3j
http://tinyurl.com/d6zmjfk
http://tinyurl.com/d7l766l
http://tinyurl.com/cho7syo http://tinyurl.com/cnywxdx http://tinyurl.com/crynzfh

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info