why dont more people race

Competition in games is why I play. But I can see in most these races there is like 400-1k people in them. Wondering why there isn't more in them.
Participation in races overall seems good (as in the number of different people running a race within a given time period).

Having more races does seem to lead to lower participation in any specific race (relative to users).

So it seems when we run fewer races, players will play during times they wouldn't normally to participate in a race. If there is a race in their normal playtime, they won't (in general) make an effort to play outside of it.

So having fewer races would result in higher numbers in each race, but lower over all participation in races.

I think the correct number of races to run is somewhere between what we had in Season 1 and what we have in Season 2.

It also seems as if some race time slots consistently have more players participating than other time slots directly affecting the competition, i.e., players in some time zones have more competition and a harder time winning than others. Just an observation.
Last edited by Hassefar60 on May 3, 2013, 3:39:35 AM
The people i know and the people i play with don't race because we don't really see too much of a point in it. I love the idea of the races, i really do... but there are a lot of us with the mindset that 'if there is 0 chance at winning, why bother?'. A good number of people doing races have theroycrafted the piss out of what to kill, where to kill it, which mobs to completely ignore, which ones to never ignore, where to just fly through and area and when not too, etc...

There is no chance at winning for those of us that just play casually. The last time i joined up a race, i thought i was doing pretty good. Just got past the first area, took about 5 min or something. At about the same time i started to see all kinds of pop-ups for people hitting level X and clearing zone Y and reaching some Z. Kudos to them, but now im 4 levels behind these people and 2 zones back. This isn't a marathon, most people don't get that sense of 'wow i did it!!!' when they cross the finish line here.

I'm under no illusions though, the people that should be winning are these crazy bastards that figure out exactly how many footsteps there are between the starter zone and the medicine chest and how that factors into how tall their character is and what that means in terms of what passives they get and whatever other insanity these top guys are thinking of and figuring out.

The rewards for getting to X level and the random give away make it a bit better for us middling folk, but even then... I don't really want to bust my ass for anywhere between an hour and 8 just for a coupleafew points, and then have to do it again... and again... and again... and again...

Less races with greater reward would probably make me get into it more though. If there were half as many races and it took half as many points to get things to correlate with it - people like me wouldn't be so 'wow not again' when races start up.
I neither enjoy PVP nor Permadeath; the race prizes offer nothing that would force me to spend my limited game time in non-fun modes of play.
Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man with a wise brow and pulseless heart, weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not rather the genius of history like an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
"
Kahless1121 wrote:
The people i know and the people i play with don't race because we don't really see too much of a point in it. I love the idea of the races, i really do... but there are a lot of us with the mindset that 'if there is 0 chance at winning, why bother?'. A good number of people doing races have theroycrafted the piss out of what to kill, where to kill it, which mobs to completely ignore, which ones to never ignore, where to just fly through and area and when not too, etc...

There is no chance at winning for those of us that just play casually.

There would be a very small population, if only people who 'could win' would participate (in general, for any kind of event, not just short term races)...

The top experienced players, of course, have a very clear plan on what to do and when - but there's still some randomness with drops, area generation and monster placements which adds to the selection of the winners. The challenge and purpose of doing such races is mainly to become better, and then from this, to see where you can get to (for me and many others I know) Then, there are different kinds of participating; sadly there's no longer time to show the owners of the special rewards (first kill/ first clear etc) on the event threads like done before. These topics demand very different build strategies than just playing straight forward to catch the top...
invited by timer @ 10.12.2011
--
deutsche Community: www.exiled.eu & ts.exiled.eu
"
Competition in games is why I play. But I can see in most these races there is like 400-1k people in them. Wondering why there isn't more in them.

I love the idea of racing, and will try and race again this weekend. But honestly, i dont race because i feel like I have no chance at winning. worse i feel like the rewards I get for racing are lack luster because I can't seem to get good level placement. What im trying to say here is I don't race much because i suck at it.

However, I did a race recently, got 1 point and won a random award. It is because of this system that i now have interest in trying to get better at racing. so with that said, ill see you tonight!
"
Kahless1121 wrote:
Spoiler

There is no chance at winning for those of us that just play casually. The last time i joined up a race, i thought i was doing pretty good. Just got past the first area, took about 5 min or something. At about the same time i started to see all kinds of pop-ups for people hitting level X and clearing zone Y and reaching some Z. Kudos to them, but now im 4 levels behind these people and 2 zones back. This isn't a marathon, most people don't get that sense of 'wow i did it!!!' when they cross the finish line here.

I'm under no illusions though, the people that should be winning are these crazy bastards that figure out exactly how many footsteps there are between the starter zone and the medicine chest and how that factors into how tall their character is and what that means in terms of what passives they get and whatever other insanity these top guys are thinking of and figuring out.

The rewards for getting to X level and the random give away make it a bit better for us middling folk, but even then... I don't really want to bust my ass for anywhere between an hour and 8 just for a coupleafew points, and then have to do it again... and again... and again... and again...

Less races with greater reward would probably make me get into it more though. If there were half as many races and it took half as many points to get things to correlate with it - people like me wouldn't be so 'wow not again' when races start up.

I feel like the random participation rewards kind of help with this. The idea that less skilled players can still win something (albeit randomly) makes it more interesting.
I'd still love to see semi-random orb rewards return.
As of right now, I'm only playing in the 1 month marathon. I planned to get the onyx at least this season but I already missed so many races, my last two races I died at midpoint and running for 1 point per race is just a waste of time. Orbs would mean I'd get something lasting out of every race, even if it's just 3 points = 3 Alts, it's more than nothing.
... is not a troll
Spoiler
"
Kahless1121 wrote:

I feel like thats a very unreasonable point of view on this events. I recently started races, but I would never think of trying to instantly win a race. You got some short time goals (3 unique which are good for leveling) and some great long time goals if you feel like doing races more often. What you want is basically "I'm a casual, please give me end-game rewards for free".

I died in my first 10 races within the first half hour (bad luck I guess) and have now completted two races, 90 min multi/noproj solo and 60 min group, placing 42th on the first and 13th on the second. I'm now at 13 points so close to the 2nd unique with maybe 5-10 hours invested, which sounds reasonable to me. Even if you are a bad player you can still pick a class which isn't taken very often, look out for group races and just kinda follow them around and pick up some reward points at the end.
Current league chars: Bladestorm Champion SSF

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info