can we get spell suppression on left side of the tree since its now required in all builds?

can we get spell suppression on left side of the tree since its now required in all builds? making it a another elemental resit.

the small amount of suppression on gear = massive shot up in price for any gear with it, but right side can get for free..?
MAKE LEFT CLICK GREAT AGAIN.
Last bumped on Apr 26, 2024, 3:50:58 PM
I haven't wanted to build a left side character for a while now for this exact reason.

Overall, it's a poor mechanic to have introduced to the game and it's pretty obvious it was only done to add another level of complexity to the game to try and slow down some players with gear or skill sacrificing. Personally I'd like to see it go altogether but I doubt that would happen.

I guess our possible improvements could be:

1. Get rid of it and tone down enemy spell damage. Probably won't happen.

2. Add some spell suppression/armour wheels on the left side of the tree.

3. Remove spell suppression from the tree altogether and up the values on gear so it becomes another balance of stats consideration.

I'd also like to see it completely redesigned similar to other Defence mechanisms in the game so that it is linear in progression and not simply a pass/fail outcome. As in spell suppression gear always suppresses spells, but from a zero to 50% degree. I find the current system, where if you have say 80% spell suppression means that 1 out of 5 hits you'll receive full damage, to be just poor design.

4. Leave it exactly as is but give the right side of the tree Physical suppression in the same manner. Reduce all physical hits by 50%. Now you've got some real character creation decisions and there's some thematically fitting design choices.
"
maxtraxv3 wrote:
can we get spell suppression on left side of the tree since its now required in all builds? making it a another elemental resit.

the small amount of suppression on gear = massive shot up in price for any gear with it, but right side can get for free..?
They don't get it for free, they spend their passive points on it. Other builds are spending those points on other things. The different parts of the tree are supposed to be different.

If spell suppression is too strong, okay (I don't have an opinion on that, it seems fine to me but I don't mind if it changes) but homogenising the skill tree is its own problem, it shouldn't be a solution to this one.
They mostly just need to remove Exposure from AN mobs.

Max res does hold up but the addition of Exposure slanted things to SS.

I made a post a while back that SS shouldn't be so abundant on gear. GGG essentially did the reverse of removing SS from the tree and adding it to gear. Wasn't really a fan of this. Esp since Acrobatics now requires gear rolls to function after being told it was an alternate option.

I've made some very good Max Res builds before exposure and unlike SS they deal with degens.
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
left side of the tree has block, may be GGG should focus on making it a little better.

spell block could use more nodes
versatile combatant/glancing blows buff
better perks for stacking block / spell block
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

"
"
maxtraxv3 wrote:

They don't get it for free, they spend their passive points on it. Other builds are spending those points on other things. The different parts of the tree are supposed to be different.

If spell suppression is too strong, okay (I don't have an opinion on that, it seems fine to me but I don't mind if it changes) but homogenising the skill tree is its own problem, it shouldn't be a solution to this one.

That's true, it's not free, but it's very very cheap if you start near suppression clusters.

And yes, different build should have different defense focus, but spell suppression is not a defense, in POE defense has a very specific meaning, it's armour evasion or energy shield, spell suppression is a defensive layer on top of that, and it works exceptionally well with evasion, you evade most of the attacks, and you half the damage of spell intake which will always hit you,from a balance stand point, it's weird why it's on evasion side, evasion characters should be the ones travel far to get this thing best suited for them.
Last edited by TravisL on Apr 26, 2024, 9:00:49 AM
"
TravisL wrote:
...from a balance stand point, it's weird why it's on evasion side, evasion characters should be the ones travel far to get this thing best suited for them.
I would suggest that skill tree arrangement starts from a thematic standpoint, not a balance standpoint. Classes are supposed to be near groups of things that work well together, that's where class identity comes from.

I mean, imagine what the tree would look like if you made it your goal that each class should be furthest from the things that are good for that kind of character. You'd have all the bow nodes over by Templar to make it hard for the Deadeye to access them, and the spell damage down at Duelist (or put spell damage over at Marauder and cast speed over by Ranger, wouldn't want them near each other). Marauder wants to use a big heavy mace? Too bad, those nodes are up by Shadow. The tree and its classes would be completely incoherent, it would be like playing the krangled passives event.
Just delete spell suppression from the game and balance (nerf heavily) monster/boss spell damage appropriately.

Stop applying band-aids to fix a problem instead of removing the problem in the first place. The band-aid approach has led to the abomination we have now.

It's absurd that the tank archetype jugg ascendancy is written off by many guides and videos as "too squishy" in endgame because he doesn't have suppression.
Just add a passive "You cannot suppress spell, half of your armour also apply to spell damage"
In my opinion, the issue is that the right side of the tree gets shredded by physical and chaos spell hits. Even relatively high armor characters suffer in this regard.

I would think they would either add a node that solve this somewhat for the right side, or fundamentally change monster damage.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info