Highlighting Class Starting Areas on Passive Tree

I was watching an interview with Jonathan and Josh Strife Hayes today and I was inspired to suggest something.

PoE and PoE2 should highlight and color code class starting areas.

Two things were mentioned that I think are very related but not obviously so. Jonathan talked about "why is there classes at all" being a way to use expectation of what a class tends to do as a way to quickly onboard players into a direction for their character. They also talked about attempting to remove the overwhelming feeling of the skill tree throwing off new players and the cost/benefit of having skill tree fog of war, directly tutorializing passive points, and just delaying the shock of the skill tree until a few levels later.

What if you circled/highlighted/color coded, maybe quite overtly, your classes starting area on the skill tree so that you had something like an archetype or identity of a class defined quickly for players that are just processing the skill tree for the first time, but that experienced players would barely notice.

Tutorials could even make this pretty explicit: Big arrow + "This is your starting area, your class is good at 'This Stuff'"
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2024, 1:31:36 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info