How calculate efficient explosives node?

The "Mines have 15% chance to be detonated an additional time" line.

I play a life stack hexblast miner.

What do I write in custom modifiers in my pob?
Last bumped on Mar 20, 2024, 10:41:52 PM
15% MORE damage. Treat it the same as Double Damage. That's what I'd do.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Mar 20, 2024, 1:37:00 PM
Really?

That almost sounds too good to be true, but i'll trust you.
well think of it this way:

Mine does 1000 damage

15% chance to activate twice

Mine does 1000 damage, with a 15% chance to do 1000 damage again

Avg additional damage = .15 x 1000 or 150

New damage estimate is 1150, or 15% MORE damage

If we look at 100% chance to activate twice, it just straight up doubles the damage. That shows its a more multiplier, where @ 100% you get x2, or 100% MORE damage. Anything less than 100% would have to be multiplicative as you are "fractioning" from the 100% chance, not subtracting.

Like most things in PoE it LOOKS complicated, but it really isn't. There's only one action being performed: the chance to deal double damage. The repeated mine isn't doing any less or any different damage calculations so its just a multiplier to all the damage.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Mar 20, 2024, 4:14:51 PM
In my experience PoE is never that simple. For example for a boneshatter build 6% chance to deal double damage is not 6% more damage, it's more like 5% more damage in pob for some reason.

Whether or not it's exactly 15% more damage it's still worth taking.

I was just worried I was missing something.

Thank you for answer!
Chance to deal double damage is ALWAYS = %more damage. Whatever you are seeing is incorrect. It mathematically can't be anything else.

chance to deal double damage acts last, after all other damage calculations. There is no possible way that it would be anything less than a straight up more multiplier.

Not sure what you are seeing in PoB. Perhaps its a PoB error, or there is something else like accuracy or crit chance that is messing with things. But even those things shouldn't change the "more" value.

OR your trauma build has some hidden DoT contributing to the total dps. Your double damage wouldn't work on that, which could lead to LESS than 6% overall more damage since its only multiplying part of your damage.

Needless to say, double mines does NOT have that same DoT problem. It is a straight up more multiplier for ALL damage, unless you are an ignite build which can only apply 1 ignite at a time.
Last edited by jsuslak313 on Mar 20, 2024, 10:46:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info