How can one have a decent build?

I started playing the gave not long time ago so am still new and confused by it. I built 3 'OK-ish' characters using guides. I managed to get them to LVL 70+ but can't complete any of them as per guides as can't afford the gear they need.
How can one afford the gear OR how can one find it?
It seems that all the gear I find is for characters I don't have nor plan to have.
Last bumped on Dec 24, 2023, 9:38:21 AM
There is a lot to address here. It's good that you're following builds as a newer player as that can be a pittfall if you try to build on your own.

You have 3 characters that you say you can't "complete" and I believe you mean endgame gear. The trick here first is to pick the one you find the most fun and go from there. Then, if you're able to do white maps, that's where you will start farming for currency.

If none of those 3 characters are able to farm at white maps then make sure you are covering your gaps. Check your defensive layers per the guide you're following to include Capping your resistances, armor/evas, energy shield, life. Your guide should hopefully explain the defensive and offensive layers you're aiming for. At a MINIMUM you need 75% res in white maps.

As for farming for currency this is a HUGE topic. Just like your build you are going to want to find what you find fun, which might be hard at this stage. Youtube will be your friend here. Watching explanations on the different options like Blight, Ritual, Expedition, etc. Some people might try to tell you X is the only way to get stuff done but if you hate it, you won't play it or won't play it well, and you won't "earn currency."

This post can go on and on and on. I'm sure you have more questions, keep asking them even if you get "get gud" responses. Youtube will help a lot with the basics too if your guide doesn't but do be careful with the age of some videos as this game can evolve fast.
Find currency making guide. You xan make decent currecy eve in white maps w/o doing any hard content.
"
Allo Allo9922 wrote:
I started playing the gave not long time ago so am still new and confused by it. I built 3 'OK-ish' characters using guides. I managed to get them to LVL 70+ but can't complete any of them as per guides as can't afford the gear they need.
How can one afford the gear OR how can one find it?
It seems that all the gear I find is for characters I don't have nor plan to have.

How can one afford the gear? Those people play PoE for years, they know how to farm currency. And as you are new, you don't.

So don't play expensive builds, period.

Better yet, go play SSF and learn the ropes of the game.

BTW,I played Exsanguinate on SSF at the last weekly event, it is perfectly playable without buying any gear to level 90+.
Thanks guys. I'm doing maps up to level 10 with RF and up to lvl 5 with my Witch so will stick to it. I like botf RF more but obviously can't clear higher maps with it at the moment.
What's SSF?
SSF means solo self fund of which you won't have the option to trade with other players. You can select this option when you create a new character. Keep at it and there's plenty of help on this forum or YouTube vids 👍
Also... We're on Xbox so gearing is 10x as expensive. A simple 6link is anywhere from 1-2 divines. Chaos recipe is our friend and learning to craft on limited resources is crucial. Don't reroll something good just because it's not perfect. And learn to make due by leaning into defensive layers when things get tough. Better to take an extra 2 minutes per map with lower dps than to never finish it at all because your made of paper.
"
JVTriton209 wrote:
Also... We're on Xbox so gearing is 10x as expensive. A simple 6link is anywhere from 1-2 divines. Chaos recipe is our friend and learning to craft on limited resources is crucial. Don't reroll something good just because it's not perfect. And learn to make due by leaning into defensive layers when things get tough. Better to take an extra 2 minutes per map with lower dps than to never finish it at all because your made of paper.

New player here as well and on Xbox. Thanks for this response btw.

I just wanna make a follow-up. Since the trade market on consoles is subpar, limited and also more expensive, does this mean following guides online, written or YouTube, are more than likely would be difficult to follow when it comes to gearing?

At the end of the day you'll end up modifying those builds with close enough gear?

Also, when someone tells you do X, I assume they think you are a PC player, but if they knew you are on console, would they still say do X when that X is only viable on a PC trade market?

Everytime I see someone saying oh just farm this and trade for it and they show a clip of the PC trade market and I compare it with console, it's like night and day. In other words this specific advice is basically pointless to console players.
Last edited by BigBoom9240 on Dec 24, 2023, 9:41:37 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info