[3.23] Lk's Vaal Caress Cold DoT Trickster [Zoomy League-starter] (New 3.23 Gameplay Video)

"
Bustled wrote:
I'm giving this a go, even though I started before I saw vortex had a cast time. I haven't played since Ultimatum and it seemed easy enough to understand. Leveling guide was nice!

Will update once I get into maps. Cheers

Thanks! Hope your journey goes well :)
YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/@LkGG-Gaming
Devouring Diadem CDoT Elementalist Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183
Vaal Caress CDoT Trickster Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3450602
Hi friends,

I have just updated the gameplay video for 3.23 post-Vortex nerfs: https://youtu.be/P4mbYl-yV-8

As expected, mapping is slower post-nerfs but still working very well at league-start.

Arcanist Brand
For map bosses, it is important to ensure that the arcanist brand isn't casted too far away. After uploading the video, I realised that the brand was initially too far away in the 2nd map and I totally forgot to cast in the last map lol.
Devouring Diadem CDoT Elementalist Guide: www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3362183
hey, I've been enjoying the build so far!

I was wondering how much of an upgrade I could expect from switching to the 6L setup with all awakened + empower 4? Not familiar with DoT builds and POB, but it seems pretty significant for a 6~ divs investment, which is about how much I have.

Appreciate any insight or opinions you have. Hope your league start has been great!
"
Bustled wrote:
hey, I've been enjoying the build so far!

I was wondering how much of an upgrade I could expect from switching to the 6L setup with all awakened + empower 4? Not familiar with DoT builds and POB, but it seems pretty significant for a 6~ divs investment, which is about how much I have.

Appreciate any insight or opinions you have. Hope your league start has been great!

Glad that you've been enjoying the build :)

lvl 5 Awakened Elemental Focus + lvl 4 Empower will be ~30% DPS boost for Vortex and CF.

Awakened Swift Affliction has the lowest impact, you can get that last.

Prior to the above, you want to get lvl 21 CF as each gem level is ~14% more DoT DPS.

Also, consider linking Frost Bomb to the Arcanist Brand set-up.

Cheers~
Hey, sorry to bother, and thank you for sharing your build and the detailed guide.

but why do you switch to creeping frost in Act2 given that freezing pulse will be higher level and do more damage?

I'm surely doing something wrong here but this are the numbers I get from PoB

freezing pulse(7) + volley(6) + Arcane Surge (1) = 1175.7 DPS
Creeping Frost(2) + volley(6) + Arcane Surge (1) = 634.2 DPS (creeping does 347 and DoT 287)

Not criticizing your build, just trying to learn the ropes
Cheers

Edit: Is it because Freezing Pulse lose power the further it travels (hence the need to be in melee range to be used at its full potential?)
Last edited by Caraota on Dec 27, 2023, 11:03:20 PM
"
Caraota wrote:
Hey, sorry to bother, and thank you for sharing your build and the detailed guide.

but why do you switch to creeping frost in Act2 given that freezing pulse will be higher level and do more damage?

Creeping Frost(2) + volley(6) + Arcane Surge (1) = 634.2 DPS (creeping does 347 and DoT 287)

Cheers

Edit: Is it because Freezing Pulse lose power the further it travels (hence the need to be in melee range to be used at its full potential?)

Good question. On top of the freezing pulse projectiles losing damage (hence effective DPS is usually lower), DoT DPS is more effective DPS than non-DoT DPS.

DoT DPS uptime is higher than manual cast uptime. Non-DoT DPS only occurs when you are standing still and casting the spell at the monster, while the DoT DPS lingers.

When you are fighting a boss in the acts, you probably spend less than 70% of the time manually casting at the boss unless you can facetank it. Meanwhile, the DoT DPS is ticking all the time.

When killing mobs through the acts, the total DPS from one cast of creeping frost > one cast of freezing pulse because the DoT DPS continues ticking even when you move to the next pack of mobs. Hence the amount of time you take to kill packs is lower.

Also, the creeping effect of creeping frost is better for clear.

Cheers!
"
LkGGz wrote:
"
Caraota wrote:

Cheers

Good question. On top of the freezing pulse projectiles losing damage (hence effective DPS is usually lower), DoT DPS is more effective DPS than non-DoT DPS.

DoT DPS uptime is higher than manual cast uptime. Non-DoT DPS only occurs when you are standing still and casting the spell at the monster, while the DoT DPS lingers.

When you are fighting a boss in the acts, you probably spend less than 70% of the time manually casting at the boss unless you can facetank it. Meanwhile, the DoT DPS is ticking all the time.

When killing mobs through the acts, the total DPS from one cast of creeping frost > one cast of freezing pulse because the DoT DPS continues ticking even when you move to the next pack of mobs. Hence the amount of time you take to kill packs is lower.

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the anwser.

I also found that, with my current setup (single 4B link + arctic armour just because it fits the build thematically until I can get the proper setup), at some point spamming freezing pulse becomes expensive to the point that I could cast two or three creeping frost in the time I could cast a second freezing pulse.

Anyways. Thank you again
"
Caraota wrote:
"
LkGGz wrote:
"
Caraota wrote:

Cheers

Cheers!

Thank you very much for the anwser.

I also found that, with my current setup (single 4B link + arctic armour just because it fits the build thematically until I can get the proper setup), at some point spamming freezing pulse becomes expensive to the point that I could cast two or three creeping frost in the time I could cast a second freezing pulse.

Anyways. Thank you again

Cool. Do note that One Step Ahead provides freeze immunity.
Hi, I'm enjoying this build so far.

This is my 4th character in Affliction League. The first 2 builds were minion builds, but these were weak due to multiple nerfs for this league. The 3rd was your Elementalist build, and reached yellow maps level, and switched to this build because my budget seemed not enough to continue that build.
This is my first time to try DoT build, and enjoyed its large damage area and clearing speed.

I have 1 question.
Now my character with this build reached level 72 or so, and I got Mind Over Matter mastery in the passive tree as your PoB suggests. But after that I found that I could not cast any spells after I got middle-level DoT damage / continuous damage. By DoT/continuous damage I lose energy shield constantly to zero (and even lose Life), so I have no enough mana/ES to cast spells (Mana is almost zero due to Aura reserves).

I could't manage this issue, so now I removed MOM mastery and continue the game. If there are any advice to solve this problem, please let me know.

https://pobb.in/9XeEidQGs9Up
"
cityedge wrote:
Hi, I'm enjoying this build so far.

This is my 4th character in Affliction League. The first 2 builds were minion builds, but these were weak due to multiple nerfs for this league. The 3rd was your Elementalist build, and reached yellow maps level, and switched to this build because my budget seemed not enough to continue that build.
This is my first time to try DoT build, and enjoyed its large damage area and clearing speed.

I have 1 question.
Now my character with this build reached level 72 or so, and I got Mind Over Matter mastery in the passive tree as your PoB suggests. But after that I found that I could not cast any spells after I got middle-level DoT damage / continuous damage. By DoT/continuous damage I lose energy shield constantly to zero (and even lose Life), so I have no enough mana/ES to cast spells (Mana is almost zero due to Aura reserves).

I could't manage this issue, so now I removed MOM mastery and continue the game. If there are any advice to solve this problem, please let me know.

https://pobb.in/9XeEidQGs9Up

Adding more ascendancy points will alleviate the ES (as mana) issues significantly.

Polymath >> ES gained on kill
Escape Artist >> increases your ES pool
Spell Breaker >> ES recharge on spell supression

Even without without Spell Breaker from the final lab, Polymath and Escape Artist will provide a noticeable difference.

Btw:
Cold Snap should eventually be replaced with Vaal Cold Snap.

It is very important for Cold Snap to be linked to Bonechill >> it causes chilled enemies to receive increased cold damage from all sources, including Vortex and CF.

One step ahead provides freeze immunity, so freeze immunity on flask is not required.

Let us know how it goes. Cheers~
Last edited by LkGGz on Jan 12, 2024, 3:02:25 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info