What is best support gem for firestorm

I use firestorm as my main dps, I really like it so far, not the best dps in the world, but I like the animation and the aeo. 4 link 2 red, 2 blue, blue 1 for firestorm, Red for life leech, blue for fast casting . now 1 red, what is best gem I should use, right now im using increase skill duration.

btw dont tell me use fireball and multi projector, I did use it but i dont like the feel of it.
firestorm is bad. don't use it.
The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
that is definally a useless rely, any one else ?
well when i tried using it, i used:

The rest of the 'end-game' content will be available along with a heap of new stuff when the game launches in a few months time. From what I've seen it's going to be awesome. - Michael_GGG
conc. effect
"
AusterlitZ wrote:
conc. effect

can u tell me full name again :)
concentrated effect, it's the 4th gem a post above.
also considering getting one of these
,the +2 to fire gems does wonders.Try using ice wall with increased duration to keep the mobs away from you,and then destroy them with firestorm,concentrated effect,fire penetration
Firestorm + Conc. Effect is the ultimate boss killer
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader
I just want to post why Firestorm is considered "bad".

The critical effect of fire damage is to burn the target with Damage over Time.

This DoT is equal to 4/3 the damage done by the fire attack that was used. However, it does NOT stack.

Because it does not stack, using something like Firestorm just keeps resetting the burning and so you are just are constantly causing DoT but it never stacks. This, in comparison to the other two critical effects, shock and freeze/chill, is lackluster, to say the least.

The reason it is this way isn't just because it doesn't stack, but also because of how the DoT works. It is based on a set time. If I do 1000 damage and crit, the burn will last as long as me doing 10 damage and critting will. It will just do more damage faster.

Consider that and the fact that Firestorm is a bunch of tiny hits, rather than one large attack like Fireball. Because any 1 hit is so small in damage, the DoT is so low, it's completely insignificant.

To illustrate this, imagine you are using Firestorm and any crit you get does 30 damage. Let's assume the DoT's duration is 2 seconds (it's something smaller than this between 1-2, but for example's sake...).

Now, you get a crit. It begins to disperse 40 damage (4/3rds of 30) over 2 seconds or doing 20 damage per second. That's less than 1 extra hit in Firestorm per second, when you are literally hitting the enemy 6-8 times per second doing 30 damage each hit.

That's like 10-20%% extra damage when Shock gives many times that extra damage and Freeze/Chill prevents you from being hurt (survivability). Both effects many times more useful than Burn.

That's why Firestorm sucks. Crits pretty much mean nothing for it. Fireball is much better as the DoT when using it basically doubles your DPS when you crit.

I may have been off in some numbers (the time the DoT lasts, for example), but that's the general problem with Firestorm. The DoT does not change, timewise, based on hit. The duration is constant and so doing more damage in 1 big hit will always be better than doing lots of little fast hits that constantly reset the DoT (Firestorm is effectively a DoT ability in and of itself, without the crit aspect).

If you don't believe me or think I'm wrong, Mark, the skills guy, explains it in the Mechanics thread, I believe.
Last edited by TremorAcePV on Apr 20, 2013, 11:45:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info