GGG you have nothing to worry about with D4

"
krenderke wrote:

That is what I should have done.

D4 is the worst buyer's remorse of my life

Of your life? A difference of what, $30-40?

[Removed by Support]
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by Vinky_GGG on Jun 16, 2023, 5:18:28 PM
It's paired with the expectations I had and the fact they managed to gather all the game content I hate and make it the only thing you get to do. It is actually funny at this point.

* forced completionist stuff
** forced "exploration" (staring at an online map)
** fetch quests

* forced coop and scheduled events
** can't farm what u want when u want
** have to do it or you can't craft because a material is exclusive to it

Normally I'm very conscious with my spendings and for the cost it was an absolutely terrible value.

It was the only impulse purchase I had in the last 10 years or so (+ the headstart weekend), pair it with how the euro exchange rate was fairly poor at the time, I feel stupid for 3 different reasons at the same time.

I wouldn't mind if I was 16 again, would change some stuff for example: not pick a full male course to study at the university.
Last edited by krenderke on Jun 16, 2023, 5:41:58 PM
Going into a new D4 season and not having to collect altars, do map exploration, or complete the campaign is going to feel pretty good. There just has to be some sort of endgame loop worth playing. No reason players can't play both PoE and Diablo 4.
"
alhazred70 wrote:
D4 isn't dogshit, but these are the same people that continually devolved D3 into a completely casual 3 days per season, maybe 2 or 3 seasons over 4 or 5 years affair.

I think its perfectly reasonable to expect blizzard to pander to casuals, and make D4 WORSE than it currently is (shallower). Make the already laughable loot more simple and more easy to obtain... and its already looking and feeling a lot like a "6 or 7 days on a new season..." kinda deal IMO. Unless they really add content.

Honestly the only reasons its more days than D3 seasons right now is that it doesn't have "this set bonus is what you wear for that class" (yet)

Don't get me wrong I'm playing it a little, the combats fun and well done. I don't have the same issues that the clear speed hyper focused people do, I like a game to have pace and variety and not just devolve into "mowing lawns of monsters" like the cookie clicker crowd prefers.

I think POE2 needs to have at least as good combat on launch. D4 combat as we all know is worlds more engaging than POE's 1 button. Regardless of what you prefer.

The only real intriguing question is: how does GGG handle all the cookie clicker meta ppl not wanting better combat? I'm honestly rivited by this question... can't wait to find out in July. My best two guesses are:

Fork POE1 into "zoom mode" with drop rates and old balance, and powercreep encouraged POE2 becomes normal mode.

OR maybe a gameplay Passive tree where people mix and match what they prefer... we do love our passive trees am i right boys?

The primary thing that people are overlooking about D4, and anyone who's gotten a character into WT4 can attest to this - D4 is grindier than PoE is. In the same amount of time I've spent getting a rogue to 76, I'd have a mid 90s leveled character in PoE who's comparatively better geared, even with no to minimal trading.

The reason D4 is grindier is due to all the additional stuff they added to the game, such as the renown board. The leveling process is also grueling for the first 50 levels or so, and even once you hit WT3-WT4, leveling is still quite slow, even into the 60s and 70s range.

It's easier to acquire best in slot equipment in D4 than it is in PoE for example, but the average ARPG player is no doubt going to find D4 to take a lot more of their time than PoE does for comparatively similar results. Actually scratch that, because the Shako is apparently even rarer than a mirror in PoE. Only 1 confirmed Shako drop from a streamer out of millions of players. Others may have found one, but no proof was given.

I'll use an example. Let's say you're looking for a weapon that's got 3 of the correct mods, and is able to roll the 4th mod as a craftable. You figure with a limited pool of potential prefix/suffix mods, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the right 3 mods and roll the 4th? No, truth is, the odds are extremely low, even with a limited pool of mods, and I'm not even talking about max roll ranges, just getting the 3 correct mods of any roll range to appear. It's far easier to find and craft a similar piece in PoE, even factoring in that PoE has a larger mod pool.

Once you get to WT4, at some point you want perfect 4 mod rolled ancestral legendary or specific uniques for your build in every slot, or your build is scuffed. PoE makes no such demands. I leveled a necromancer in PoE to 96 wearing literal rags, tabula rasa was my best piece. Gear is far more of a requirement in D4, and you really need those 4 mods on each piece.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jun 16, 2023, 9:09:13 PM
People saying D4 is a D3 reskin are partially right.

If we ignore the campaign, which is a one and done deal to be enjoyed with we still have same things as in D3:

- Level scaling
-Skill damage is 100% weapon damage, even non attack skills that are not dependant on weapon damage like Fireball and minions.
- Lots of cooldowns
- Generator and spender
- Points of interests / Mini quests in open world but on a bigger scale
- Nightmare Dungeons = Rifts

Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 16, 2023, 9:21:22 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

The primary thing that people are overlooking about D4, and anyone who's gotten a character into WT4 can attest to this - D4 is grindier than PoE is. In the same amount of time I've spent getting a rogue to 76, I'd have a mid 90s leveled character in PoE who's comparatively better geared, even with no to minimal trading.

The reason D4 is grindier is due to all the additional stuff they added to the game, such as the renown board. The leveling process is also grueling for the first 50 levels or so, and even once you hit WT3-WT4, leveling is still quite slow, even into the 60s and 70s range.

It's easier to acquire best in slot equipment in D4 than it is in PoE for example, but the average ARPG player is no doubt going to find D4 to take a lot more of their time than PoE does for comparatively similar results. Actually scratch that, because the Shako is apparently even rarer than a mirror in PoE. Only 1 confirmed Shako drop from a streamer out of millions of players. Others may have found one, but no proof was given.

I'll use an example. Let's say you're looking for a weapon that's got 3 of the correct mods, and is able to roll the 4th mod as a craftable. You figure with a limited pool of potential prefix/suffix mods, it shouldn't be too difficult to find the right 3 mods and roll the 4th? No, truth is, the odds are extremely low, even with a limited pool of mods, and I'm not even talking about max roll ranges, just getting the 3 correct mods of any roll range to appear. It's far easier to find and craft a similar piece in PoE, even factoring in that PoE has a larger mod pool.

Once you get to WT4, at some point you want perfect 4 mod rolled ancestral legendary or specific uniques for your build in every slot, or your build is scuffed. PoE makes no such demands. I leveled a necromancer in PoE to 96 wearing literal rags, tabula rasa was my best piece. Gear is far more of a requirement in D4, and you really need those 4 mods on each piece.

I see what you're saying here, honestly but this is like saying D2 is more grindy than POE because of chalice items. But almost no one plays POE purely for natural chalice like drops. No one sets a goal of natuallry dropping a Mageblood. In D4 and D2 you CAN grind for those items and its probably the only way to ever get them. But you've long since done ALL THE CONTENT without them, in fact you're probably doing all the content already before you even get decent endgame gear. at 50+ you're doing most stuff and at 70ish you're basically as done as you need to be and all thats left is "grind for slightly more perfect gear".

In POE the grind is BEFORE "all the content" outside of trivial trade league where you can brute force with trades, and/or "meta strats" that trivialize the game (explode totems for example) its a prelude to Ubers or a massive time sink in SSF to get DECENT gear, let alone GG items in every slot. obviously POE has a stale meta that pre solves the grind depending on what mode you're in because that meta by itself is enough to not need great gear (Cold DOT in ruthless will get to red maps without any support gems lol this is clearly a set of skills that are way out of wack with the balance of the game).

I guess what I'm saying it, the grind in POE is front loaded assuming we're comparing apples to apples (ethical non trading gameplay) whereas in D4 the grind is "the only thing left to do".
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Jun 16, 2023, 9:42:49 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
krenderke wrote:

That is what I should have done.

D4 is the worst buyer's remorse of my life

Of your life? A difference of what, $30-40?

[Removed by Support]

...it is possible but if it's true they've lived an incredibly #blessed life.
The name says it all.
"
alhazred70 wrote:

I guess what I'm saying it, the grind in POE is front loaded assuming we're comparing apples to apples (ethical non trading gameplay) whereas in D4 the grind is "the only thing left to do".

D4's grind is also front loaded. You don't even beat the content at all without decent equipment. And it takes more time in D4 not only to level up but to get the necessary equipment. There's no trading (not for anything worthwhile at least), and the drops are rare enough, and rerolling items is costly enough where it just takes more time than finding, trading for, or crafting items in PoE does. It wouldn't say it's just slower by a little bit, it's considerably slower even for an average player like me.

The exp curve dramatically increases in the 50+ range, where PoE's only starts to get steep in the 95+ range. The exp curve is just complete whack in D4. They need to adjust it, the last 10 levels should take awhile, but level 76-77 takes longer than 95-96 in PoE. Getting to max level in D2 took awhile, but you could hit 85-88 quickly enough.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jun 17, 2023, 1:11:16 AM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
"
alhazred70 wrote:

D4's grind is also front loaded. You don't even beat the content at all without decent equipment.

Yeah not my experience but I could see getting unlucky on weapons and your damage falling off while maybe also overleveling which due to the dogshit scaling system could really get you hard stuck. I found a couple bosses to be dragged out because I had an outdated weapon but I also found myself accidentally overleveled and regular mobs I had been cruising through with a couple casts became chewy and tedious to fight. But this just taught me to only fight things in my way.

I mean I could be wrong but it feels a lot like by the time I'm 95-100 I'll have dropped multiples of literally everything except the items we were just discussing as being "the objective of the grind". I already have bis gear for 2 or 3 druid builds.

In POE outside of RMT and trade shenanigans "bis" gear is almost always GG rares and infuelnce tiems crafted at crazy high investment thousands of currency and also RNG for final steps.

As a point of comparison Quin69 is(was) a couple levels higher than I and already had every item for every Druid build except 1 (so actually almost the same as me). he had maxed rolled everything.

I don't feel like its accurate to call this a more grindy game because the XP curve hasn't been completely "solved" like it has been for POE, and there's some higher than mirror rarity items no one specifically requires for content. AKA grail items in Diablo 2 tradition.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Jun 17, 2023, 3:04:49 AM
i wanted a REFUND for Diablo 4 but sadly played 3 hours, so one hour more than these Blizzard thiefs allow....

Diablo 4 is the worst crap i could buy for 70€ at my birthday....

couldnt make myself a worse gift...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info