deleted

i'm having a good time with d4 but it's no poe killer
"
DieAbolicaL wrote:

to me it feels a lot like grim dawn with high production value and mmorpg elements (and a worse story somehow).
Also I feel D4 is the antithesis of "less is more" in terms of story. Much like D3 it feels obliged to bash you over the head with the "story" via endless dialogue (including from all the baddies). They learned nothing from D3 except: less rainbows, more gore.
It's pretty slow compared to PoE, and it can never reach PoE's depth of itemization and the amount of content. It's pretty amazing for people who play ARPGs just to finish the story once, but can it really satisfy ARPG vets who grinded D2 for thousands of hours?

Imho it follows D3 footsteps pretty closely, and that game is a borefest longterm.
"
esostaks wrote:
It's pretty slow compared to PoE, and it can never reach PoE's depth of itemization and the amount of content. It's pretty amazing for people who play ARPGs just to finish the story once, but can it really satisfy ARPG vets who grinded D2 for thousands of hours?

Imho it follows D3 footsteps pretty closely, and that game is a borefest longterm.

Slower pace is something positive imho, D3 + PoE are way to arcade-ish and less rpg-ish and this is a turn off for many. D4 pace will ofc increase with endgame builds and what you're seeing is slow campaign gameplay, but for me personally i prefer slower paced tradional arpgs. I hope PoE2 will slow down as well.

As for depth. well you're comparing a PoE with 10 years of content updates vs a fresh released game, give D4 a few years then we can compare them. At least content-wise D4 has a lot more content than most arpgs(including PoE when it was first released).

Itemization true, but it doesn't have to compete with PoE itemization complexity in order to defeat PoE2, it just need to be decent enough like Diablo 2 levels, complexity is only good to a certain point. More important is how addictive the general gameplay is(looking at everything, endgame activities, general feel of the game and so on)

"
DieAbolicaL wrote:

Depends what your definition of a ''killer'' is. Is it going to kill PoE?

No, but in terms of being the most popular online arpg D4 is realistically going to rule the market for the time being. The base game is solid enough and with continuous live service support of the corporate giant ( regular content updates/season plan) it will be hard to dethrone.

Hence my concern, the thing is that PoE2 will be forced to be more casual-friendly and less convulated than PoE1 currently is, otherwise it risks pushing itself into a small niche- corner.

let's be brutally honest here, PoE succeded in the wakes of what was the D3 exodus, it thrived during the years when there was no such competitor(Although D3 still remained active, it was no real threat for PoE retention).

Now D4 is here and a new reality for GGG and PoE dawns, D4 is hungry + ambitious and has a live service game model plan for continuos content updates.

I feel confident that if GGG makes PoE2 an improvement over current PoE in much needed areas, technically and gameplay both games can co-exist without problems and competition is good, but to think D4 isn't a huge threat and believing it will just go away is to be naive.
Last edited by wierdzodi on Jun 3, 2023, 7:47:44 AM
"
wierdzodi wrote:
"
esostaks wrote:

Slower pace is something positive imho

I don't think it's positive or negative. It's a matter of taste. For example, I liked Grim Dawn, but the combat was just too damn slow for me, and seeing D4 gameplay videos, the it's also a bit on the slow side, though faster than Grim Dawn.

The point is that D4 can't really 'kill' PoE for players like me who prefer faster, zoom-zoom gameplay if it can't provide same fast combat. Maybe it will eventually provide that by enabling faster builds, but from what I've seen white packs are still dying way too slow for my taste.

I really do hope that Blizzard puts some effort into D4, and keeps adding content, but seeing how they didn't give two sheits about D3 which pretty much got zero content updates apart from the DLC, I have very little hope.
"
esostaks wrote:
I don't think it's positive or negative. It's a matter of taste. For example, I liked Grim Dawn, but the combat was just too damn slow for me, and seeing D4 gameplay videos, the it's also a bit on the slow side, though faster than Grim Dawn.

The point is that D4 can't really 'kill' PoE for players like me who prefer faster, zoom-zoom gameplay if it can't provide same fast combat. Maybe it will eventually provide that by enabling faster builds, but from what I've seen white packs are still dying way too slow for my taste.

I really do hope that Blizzard puts some effort into D4, and keeps adding content, but seeing how they didn't give two sheits about D3 which pretty much got zero content updates apart from the DLC, I have very little hope.

Unfortunately D4 will likely become just like D3/PoE, just give it some time for people to reach endgame and unlock powerful unique abilities ( there is rumours started by a dev, D4 will add D2-ish runewords later on). Vanilla D3 was also slow-paced compared to what reaper of souls became.

Personally i think that is bad gameplay, the character loses all weight when it defies gravity in ridiculous manners, i want the character to be an adventurer immersed in a fantasy world, not an automobile racing against the clock, whenever i feel like playing a racing game there are other genres for that, but to each their own.

As for D3, you can't compare it to D4 since D3 was not a live service game.

"
A live service game is a type of video game that’s designed to keep people engaged, so they play it for as long as possible. That means that instead of making one game and moving on to the next, companies create a game they can update for years to come.

https://www.makeuseof.com/live-service-games-what-how-work/

In Actiblizz eye's, Diablo IV is not the sequel to Diablo 3 but to World of Warcraft, think in terms of content updates to WoW when you consider the future of D4. The battlepasses, mtx shop is there for a reason.

Last edited by wierdzodi on Jun 3, 2023, 7:02:45 AM
I played the beta for D4 and didn't make it but a few hours and got bored.

I know that's a small amount of time so I can't really form an opinion from that but I just feel like it was not for me. It almost felt like it would be nice to sit on a couch with a controller and play it type feel.

I hope D4 does somewhat well though, competition is nice, but I just don't see anyone knocking PoE down. Honestly, the only people that can make PoE lose is GGG if they fumble for a long time in a row, and I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon.
D4 is like the encouragement you get reading a first edition print; and when you tell a friend, "I'm half way through Lord of the Rings."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info