Tank templar biuld

A partial outline on how I am building a tank, relying on mitigation of damage for survival.
(the build has solo and group cleared multiple level 66 maps). If you have you have any ideas, input, or insight into problems I may run into in the future please let me know.

the build is really good at soloing, having cleared all content solo before grouping for hastier leveling.

numbers given are assuming all items are perfect. (even though that is going to be extremely unlikely)

This is where I am planning to finish my build at. (yes, i know a full 117 point build is totally unrealistic, I may post intermediate steps in the future).

Spoiler

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBBVuLjOFz7SBG113GtQTkIilPgpvsODrYTdiMdp48gW9X4jKJd-UaOKeEkFXAGmaecU2az0NjtzFY9Z3EqZVwfVFgGjKAVk99-tIdFEw1KMXzvuOC5wvesI9Gpwi4kwx9WfOsqnKpfNkn7fPdxPY8Lcautz56uG6qMn618qlueA2-igHcpBkb-iXfhNlY21Pfm4Osr-eRw4aE72EhEuGi6u9OMgkotWCIYVKfy1Wpl7SsuhB_xp7Q0JuhZ71m2RjXNL60cwz3JCXp1dE2CTPKkF853eO9gZkrRQo11vTGvrxfqmz294jub3Ph

passive skill bonus's

Spoiler

Mana regen +40%
Elemental damage +51%
Elemental resists +60% (with shield equipped)
Elemental damage with weapons +80%
Armor +246%
Energy shield +104%
Life +26%
max life +12
Shield block +32%
Increased defenses from shield +115%
Increased ES from shield +90%
Block chance applied to spells +12%
Increased buff +30%
Increased shock chance +20%
Increased shock duration +45%
Chance to hit = 100%
Chance to crit = 0%
Max elemental resist +5%
Increased melee physical damage +78%
IAS +26%
Weapon range +2
Max endurance charges +1
Endurance charge duration +18%
Chance to evade = 0%
Chance to be stunned = 0%

I plan on having the following gems. ( The why's and why not's will be added soon)

Spoiler

6L chest- Lightning strike
Lesser Multiple Projectiles
Weapon elemental damage
Mana leech
Added fire damage
Life leech

1st 4L- Anger
Wrath
Blood magic
Reduced mana

1st 3L- Molten shell
Iron will
Increased duration

2nd 4L- Discipline
Determination
Reduced mana
portal

3rd 4L - Enduring cry
Increased area of effect
Elemental weakness
reduced mana

2nd 3L - Tempest shield
Iron will
Reduced mana

I plan on getting the follow items and why.

Spoiler

Shield - Aegis Aurora
- each block restores 4% of your armor, allowing ES to to stay up consistently.

Weapon - Essentia Sanguis
-Gives my attacks ghost reaver which will help keep my ES topped off.
-Unless aegis aurora can manage to do keep my ES topped on its own, if so a high physical damage scepter will do just fine, imo.

Boots- Rainbow stride conjurer boots
-Provides spell block which when combined with aegis aurora will help keep my ES topped off -Provide additional chance to avoid status ailments.
-Move speed is awesome

Helm- Abyssus
-additional physical damage should significantly boost my dps,
-Large amount of armor to synergize with aegis aurora
-Plus attributes is always good, looking at
-Str is adding +12hp and +5% increased physical, spell, and projectile damage.
-Int is adding +12 mana and 5% increased ES
-Dex allowing higher leveled mana leech, LMP, and essentia sanguis.
-The shield block plus 5 endurance charges and large amount of armor should be able to handle the increased damage.(though i am still concerned on how this will effect bosses like brutus, kole(or cole), and other big swing big damage bosses.if it is an issue I will look for a rare with a large amount of armor and other useful stats).

Body- Shavronne’s Wrappings
-current thought process for being the best way of dealing with chaos damage.
-nice boost in ES, making it easier to keep ES topped off.

Amulet- Astramentis
-Strength is adding +60 health and +24% increased physical, spell, and projectile damage.
-Intelligence is adding +60 mana and +24% increased ES
-Dexterity allows the use of mana leech, LMP, and essentia sanguis

for gloves and rings I am basically going to grab a rare(unless a unique come out the satisfies the role) with effects increasing armor*, ES, all resists esp chaos, any buff that would increase damage output. (considered le heup of all, but it require high resists on other ring and gloves)

*(high armor will be highly beneficial on gloves)

To be added: overall stats (ie total possible dps) with known items and explanation of skill tree.
"
Shield - Aegis Aurora

U loose around 1000-2500 ES using this shield, compared to a 400-500 ES rare shield. In combination with "Essentia Sanguis" u might die by packs of casters, since u cant fill your ES via leech or block.

"
Amulet- Astramentis

Maybe use "Stone of Lazhwar" so u can refill ES also on caster packs.

"
-additional physical damage should significantly boost my dps,

Not really, since phy damage from items wont be increased by str/passive nodes

"
Weapon - Essentia Sanguis
-Gives my attacks ghost reaver which will help keep my ES topped off.

Not a good choice, since your overall damage is quite low, so less leech and less survivability.

"

The shield block plus 5 endurance charges and large amount of armor should be able to handle the increased damage.(though i am still concerned on how this will effect bosses like brutus, kole(or cole), and other big swing big damage bosses.if it is an issue I will look for a rare with a large amount of armor and other useful stats).

Simply put, if u have no charges up or run out of granit flasks u will die by a lucky hit. Also don't forget common map mods like "30% increased damage" or "Vulnerability curse". While with very high armor it is mostly playable, but thats ofc only for SC not HC. Simply put, expect to die from time to time using this helm.

I don't think u can leech enough ES back using "Essentia Sanguis" as tank, which is your build defining weapon, since without it u have to get the keystone or change from ES to Life.

U plan this as Endgame/Shavrones build so u have to account for all the "bad" map mods that will happen on rare 70+ maps. So expect a -30% max. resist map, with 30% more damage and 50% regen.

bye Andy

PS: Btw this is a crazy expansive build, a 6L Shavrones?
Last edited by AndyPandy22 on Apr 17, 2013, 11:08:54 AM
For a tanky lightning strike build that is far less likely to get one-shot, frozen, shocked, or simply rolled over by high damage output, see this thread.

Trying to make energy shield work for melee is extremely problematic, doubly so when you don't have access to a lot of the ES nodes due to the other stuff you need to get.

You won't even be able to have high armor to mitigate damage, because you'll be wearing shavaronne's.

Your build is going to cost more, to be less effective, than the one from the linked thread. (Mind you the one from that thread isn't perfect either. He is literally right next to two endurance charges, and doesn't take them, which boggles the mind)

"
AndyPandy22 wrote:
"
Amulet- Astramentis

U need a "Eye of Chayula" or u simply will be perma stunned very often and die.

He has unwaivering stance. His build is bad, but it isn't THAT bad.
Last edited by magicrectangle on Apr 17, 2013, 11:02:45 AM
"
He has unwaivering stance. His build is bad, but it isn't THAT bad.

corrected :p
being level 74 I have been doing what I can to salvage the build after realizing that i am getting ripped apart from chaos clouds and fire and lightning caster packs. most the gear listed was an idea to try and get around that. it was my first charecter, maybe it is time to reroll and try something that will work better. Thanks for the heads up guys.
"
zeroverzero wrote:
being level 74 I have been doing what I can to salvage the build after realizing that i am getting ripped apart from chaos clouds and fire and lightning caster packs. most the gear listed was an idea to try and get around that. it was my first charecter, maybe it is time to reroll and try something that will work better. Thanks for the heads up guys.

Than just post your current tree and we can try to find a build that fits your playstyle, without respec 50 nodes.
Last edited by AndyPandy22 on Apr 18, 2013, 6:38:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info