D4 had over 1 million closed beta access players, with multi-millions expected this weekend. Wow.

"
lupasvasile wrote:
Honestly, it's amazing for me to witness how short a memory people have. I mean just half a year ago everyone was swearing never to buy Blizzard stuff again. I know, I know, this is always the case with gamers, reason why we have shit games. So Blizzard selling millions of copies before launch is not as surprising as some would think.

That being said, I don't see the fuss. It's an OK game for what it is; honestly, I think this is what Diablo Immortal should have been.......I might play it at some point, but the hype is a bit too overturned.

People don't have short memories, they just don't give a shit at the end. They just want to play games and enjoy them.

That said the virtue signaling and faux outrage that I, and a few others, have discussed here on this topic is very real. On social and in public people want to act angry or upset or say grandiose things, but in private that all goes out the window. The hypocrisy is both sad and hilarious. (It happened with the Harry Potter game too a number of weeks ago)

People want others to think they are disgusted with Blizzard (and maybe they actually are), and won't buy or play their games, but the metrics so obviously tell another story.

I suppose the point is that yeah, you can hate Bobby K, or think Activi$ion Blizzard is horrific, but its entirely possible to separate that from those folks making the games, and how you enjoy them.

And this goes for all big companies. Amazon, Apple, Nike, whoever. In general people are not prepared to sacrifice the benefits of consumerism, while also valuing the acquisition of some sort of social standing points. It's sad but true.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Mar 24, 2023, 5:57:05 AM
Are people really paying 70 for a D3 reskin?

That moment when I realize I am not a mainstream gamer
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Nah I paid over $100
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Nah I paid over $100

I printed d4 cover and used it as a toilet paper .
DIV looks good, still won't buy it.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
im missing from the numbers, i cant be bothered playing the beta, ill just wait til the game comes out. a lot of it looks great. i watched kripps big breakdown, ziggy d, some asmongold takes on it on the youtubes. hes complaining about dungeons that require you to full clear them in order to spawn the boss? lol... full clear required dungeons? i get to the end and theres a baby spider in a corner right at the start i need to go all the way back and kill? ok, tell me your devs are not serious arpg players without telling me your devs are not serious arpg players.

some paragon 600 noob who hasnt seriously played diablo or poe is running the show so we can fully expect just like we had with D3 theres gonna be things like this in the game that any veteran arpg player is just looking at thinking who the hell thought this was a good idea?

but we knew that already, anyone with sense is coming to this game expecting these kind of issues just like we came to poe expecting minimal polish and stability. it still looks amazing, im really looking forward to it. im hoping it will be good enough that i just dont need to play poe again at all before poe2.

gonna do strictly self found, 0 guides, no looking at other peoples builds, just try and pad out that honeymoon period for as long as possible before.

"

A million players, and more this weekend. For an ARPG, a genre generally considered dead or niche thanks to the current offerings.

That is a reality check, a check many Exiles happily and willingly fail.

is that surprising?

path of exile, a relatively unknown game by a relatively unknown developer has multiple millions of people playing every league 10 years after release. why would anyone be surprised a flagship game from one of the biggest developers in the history of pc gaming has a million players for its preorder beta? Im seeing 10+ adverts for D4 every day just watching my youtube ap on my android tv.

D3 fudged its numbers in multiple ways but for sure over 10 million people played that game, easily. poe went over 10 million accounts in 2 years, it had about 30k peak concurrent steam players at the time. its now 8 years later and the peak of the last year has been 150k. both games have probably had over 10 million actual individual human beings play them by this point.

who are these many exiles oblivious to this reality check? what is it you think that they think? im surprised that you guys are surprised.

most of D3s players will have been within a year of launch, most of poes players will have been in the last 4 years. D4 is gonna land hard like D3 did, lets hope it can then sustain itself. i think a lot of blizz type players are super casual and will play it, get bored, move on within a month never to return. i think we should expect that, i dont think its really an indicator of how good the game is. are vet arpg fans still loving the game in 2 years? are they still playing it in 2033? these are the the meaningful tests.
5 minute wait upon waking up 4 hours after launch.

Well that was anticlimactic.

Oh well. Here we go.

And booted after five minutes. That's more like it. Time to work on my Guardian in TittyCue. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 24, 2023, 4:50:58 PM
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

That moment when I realize I am not a mainstream gamer

Pretty sure you realised that weell before now. And it is not a Diablo3 reskin -- leave that sort of blatant tribal misinformation to others. Or don't.

"
DoubleU wrote:
DIV looks good, still won't buy it.

Respectable stance. I have fun with the partner saying this purchase or that is half a DIV preorder, or twice, a fifteenth...as if I am somehow making bad life choices by prioritising coffee at the local cafe with her over a silly video game.

We both know Blizzard are shit as a company. As DS44 pointed out, good luck finding a company that big that isn't. And I suppose it's a bit easier for me to be selfish about this because I was relatively unselfish with PoE (especially during beta) and honestly it wasn't worth it so eh this time I am doing what I want with zero regard for others. Harmless and a LOT cheaper, which is good because you may have noticed banks aint doing so hot right now. I am a long...long way from the days of casually grabbing that Ruler pack. :)
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Mar 24, 2023, 5:05:23 PM
Well that was a very quick 2 hours. I am totally into whatever this prologue is doing. I suspect my level of absorption will drop a little once it starts acting like Diablo Immmortal in terms of Other People but so far, so good.

The lack of a traditional sword and board class is a bit of a shame and almost certainly future DLC of some nature. Doofing about on a melee rogue feels right but between little stabs and the barbarian's massive chops it seems they have left too much of a gap. Don't think I will get around to all five classes this beta since I want to commit to exploring the content rather than succumb to my usual altaholic tendencies.

I like the simple but effective skill options so far. Enough variety to allow multiple of each class but not so much that I am overly distracted this early.

Free respecs before level 15 is perfect.

I am really going to enjoy this ride. After that? Eh, either it will pull me into its story-free loop or it won't. I am not looking for a Forever game; no self-respecting Xennial gamer should be.

Brief break for breakfast and a question to the OP. What was different last weekend?

After a few 30-40 queues I managed to play all day yesterday. Saw quite a few folks in town but few in the wild. Am now 23 melee rogue and jeeze it was tough at t2 until I fluked the aspect for my core skill on a drop. Now it's just a bitch against some bosses.

Anyway there is my query.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info