Proximity shield on monsters

I have one question, I do always play flame blast skill trying to make my own build. Why mostly all other AOE skills can attack from outside proximity shield on monsters and flame blast can't. It's bad enough we have to stand still and rank the stages up... I can understand skill that use projectiles, but flame blast attacks from under. It's getting worse with so many monsters having proximity shield as especially now since I'm playing Ruthless with gold Flame Blast. Hopefully a game dev see this post and changes how flame blast works with those shields on monsters. Unless they think it's alright for most other skill being able to kill those monsters and the one you can't even move, you basically need to go inside cast for few sec and pray.

Last bumped on Mar 18, 2023, 6:16:02 PM
What led you to believe that "mostly all other AOE skills can attack from outside"?
For example a person using RF does not need to stand inside the circle to deal damage just for rf there is probably no need to worry since most builds are very tanky. Same principle skill as flame blast would be Bane, and it does work on those monsters without being inside the circle. There is quite a few skill that do work from outside not needing to stay inside. I know technically proximity shield take away the hit portion of the hit. But how flame blast works in my eyes I would be attacking from under the monster and the attack does not go through the shield. That's why I wouldn't be sad if they decide to make it work :D just a suggestion. If they see this post they might think mhmm maybe he's right.
Last edited by Lukutis on Mar 18, 2023, 6:39:45 AM
"
Lukutis wrote:
For example a person using RF does not need to stand inside the circle to deal damage just for rf there is probably no need to worry since most builds are very tanky. Same principle skill as flame blast would be Bane, and it does work on those monsters without being inside the circle. There is quite a few skill that do work from outside not needing to stay inside. I know technically proximity shield take away the hit portion of the hit. But how flame blast works in my eyes I would be attacking from under the monster and the attack does not go through the shield. That's why I wouldn't be sad if they decide to make it work :D just a suggestion. If they see this post they might think mhmm maybe he's right.

This is not about specific skill, proximity shield does not protect against dot damage, regardless of distance to damage source. Flameblast is a hit, and does not hit "from under the monster", damage is calculated directly from you, without proxy actor like trap or totem would have been.

"Common sense" in such design is debatable, for example a soulrend salvo isn't stopped by that shield, despite being a projectile (as it delivers dot debuff), but if you actually manage to make flameblast work, no proximity shield would pose a threat to you :)
For Flameblast, I think the behavior should be the same as with traps/mines. For traps/mines, your character needs to be inside the proximity shield to do damage?
AoE doesn't matter at all for hit damage vs. proximity shield, nor does where your skill "lands" as opposed to where you cast it from. Your proximity to the enemy is what matters...not your skill's. If you're outside the shield, you can't do hit damage. Period. There's no way around that with any skill. A variety of sources of DoT work just fine though.

Skills like RF or Blight are purely DoT, so they're fully functional from outside. Others like Soulrend or Fire Trap have both a hit component and a DoT that doesn't scale off of the hit--the hit component will do no damage, but the DoT will work fine.

For something like Flameblast, there's not much else you can do except get up in there. It's either that, or have a secondary DoT skill ready...or have something like Balefire in offhand.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Wonder how would one make flameblast build at all, it is like the slowest skill in the game. And totems would make it even more slow. Guess it should be possible to bump it to screen-wide aoe size, to get at least some semblance of mapping speed.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info