Ready To QUIT

GAAAAAAAAH. I am Soooooo sick of spending hrs and hrs and DAYS developing a character only to suddenly start getting ONE shot at lvl 80 just for walking into a map!!!

WTF am I missing?

My resists are MAXED OUT and they are worthless.................
Not fun any more
Last edited by Tyandanaga on Jan 27, 2023, 3:40:19 PM
Last bumped on Apr 17, 2023, 3:49:44 PM
What you are missing? Probably a basic game understanding what defensive tools you need to stop getting oneshot I suppose? The fact u mention maxed out resists kind of proves my point, as this is not what keeps u safe in red maps, it's one of the baseline things you should habe when entering maps in general.

In general, when talking defensive mechanics in PoE there are 3 main levels to it which u want to develop: Mitigation, Avoidance, Regeneration.

1. Mitigation
In this category you find your precious elemental resistances. But here's much more to find. First of all, you can raise ele resist a lot higher than 75%, with every additional percent being exponentially stronger than the one before. Game cap is 90%. Here you'll also find things like less damage taken, dmg-conversion (for example 7% phys samage taken as fire dmg which is awesome if you have a lot of fire res but low phys mitigation) or things like increases to global defenses as well as damage taken partly as damage over time (in order to mitigate the initial impact, u still would need to cope with dot, see point 3). Also, keystones that transfer dmg to your mana like mind over matter would fall under this category. There are also more situational forms of mitigation in the pantheon as well as on items like kintsugi or the winddancer keystone.

2. Avoidance
Here you'll find things like evasion (entropy-based), dodge (rng-based), spell dodge, block, including glancing blows, spell block, as well as chance to avoid dmg in general.

3. Regeneration
Here you find options as to % life/ES regen, life/es on hit, life/es on kill, leech, or life/es on block as well as the very powerful defensive keystones divine shield and ghost stance.

All of the tools above are supposed to be used in some capacity to make a viable build.

Looking at your current build (87 assassin) it's pretty obvious that you lack all the foundations yet. You allocate points on the tree for crit while also going impale, you are on the right side of the tree but u don't have any form of spell suppression on your gear, your helmet, unique ring and boots are extremely lackluster items that don't help u much, u are dualwielding claws with a supbar life pool... There are even more things.

I would suggest you stick to build guides for a while until you understand more of this games perks before you try to make your own setups work
Last edited by Vennto on Jan 27, 2023, 10:08:43 PM
Looks like you put your focus into resistances and not the mechanics to synergize your build. It's sort of all over the place and damage is low.

If you're open to it, I'd be happy to give you a hand.
Like Vennto said, you'll want to look into build guides.

Good ones. There's a lot of bad build guides around.

This game is pretty in-depth and take a bit to take it all in. Once you have that foundation you can make small changes to fit your play style. But until then you can't expect to just jump into something and it all work out.

If you're open to it, I'm sure there's a lot of complete walkthrough guides.

Also take some time to familiarize yourself with PoB.
Thanks for the replies..

So I admit there aspects of it I still dont get but I have been playing for some time now and its obvious I dont have all the foundations?
I have almost everything you listed.
Granted IDK how to raise the cap.

I have re tweaked my tree several times and the addition of Impale was based on a build

s for gear well I can only make due with what I have. I thought the Thrillsteel helmet was a pretty handy addition for onslaught..

The Alure claws are the best I have. See the thing is I can't afford to buy anything. Nothing.

I have been playing POE for years and I have THREE divines. 3

They NEVER drop. so im def missing something there.

I AM trying to follow builds but they all require Jewels and gear that I cant get.

I have started an RF character that seems to have some survivability
"
Tyandanaga wrote:

The Alure claws are the best I have. See the thing is I can't afford to buy anything. Nothing

This is most likely because u play in standard, where prices are completely blown out of proportion due to inflation. In a league-environment there is stuff for just a few chaos that would improve your build tremendously.

"
I have been playing POE for years and I have THREE divines. 3
They NEVER drop. so im def missing something there.

No, you´re not missing anything, they drop rate is pretty low, and this is not how u get your hands on many divines. It is by farming other stuff that you can sell, which comes back to the initial point: Prices in standard are inflated so you might be better off playing in league. Like, I ended the league around 2 weeks ago, have a fully decked char and more than 100 divines as leftovers.. it´s not that difficult to make good currency in a league.

"
Tyandanaga wrote:
I have started an RF character that seems to have some survivability

RF is a cheap and reliable starter, yes.
Also Venneto there's no need to be insulting. I have enough "basic game understanding' to get a Melee character to lvl 87.

and thats even with subpar gear apparently.

In fact I think its pretty clear that it is ADVANCED understanding of the game that I need help with..

Not critisism.

Thnx tho
As someone previously mentioned, tree seems all over the place but that is probably due to you having to respec points around.

The below are kind of a few things I use when I design builds:

1. What skill to use
2. How does this skill scale?
3. Phys/Elemental/Chaos
4. Do I have enough HP? (Aim for 120-140% inc life from tree and then rest should be from your gear, mainly flat hp stats)
5. What are my defenses?

I see you have a base hp of about 3k HP which is a good start but I would suggest having around 3500-4000. Seems you are missing hp on gear but that's okay. Good learning process.

With the Might and Influence Jewel you have, I don't think you need Melee Splash as that would be redundant for the splash damage. Can slot in a flat elemental damage gem (added cold damage support for example)

You can respec some points into grabbing elemental nodes such as Forces of Nature, Primeval Force, Winter Spirit, Fangs of Frost to boost your damage.

Would also suggest playing the leagues as they are fresh economies. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
Hey thanx for the tips. If HP is hit point? I'm at pretty much 4k

The dual claw is my main character and I've been determined to make it work cause I like it...

For clearing he explodes the whole screen in 1 shot but then single target dmg

is totally lacking. I have several different builds that all have seem to hit a

wall in the 80's.

I even made a similar character but poison based with Venom Gyre and followed a

guide and he stuck in the mid 80's as well.

Like I said the clearing speed is awesome but Bosses and strong Rare creatures especially ones with life regen ... I cant kill them

"
Tyandanaga wrote:
Also Venneto there's no need to be insulting. I have enough "basic game understanding' to get a Melee character to lvl 87.

and thats even with subpar gear apparently.

In fact I think its pretty clear that it is ADVANCED understanding of the game that I need help with..

Not critisism.

Thnx tho

Let me guess, you live in America where feelings matter more than facts, right? I didn't insult you at any point, I gave you a coldhearted look at the presented facts and then gave you some tips to solve the issue you have. If you don't like it, that's not on me, but don't start with that snowflake-talking. Nothing of what I pointed out was even remotely offensive.
Level 80 is kinda low for reds tbh especially if you aren't used to it.

I know it's not impossible but it's not the average players progression, you usually hit reds at 88+ - i usually turn 90 in my first red maps and its smooth sailing.

Like the others said, you need at least one more form of reliable defense, being that evasion, armour or blocking and you need it capped, surviving sometimes doesn't really cut it - it has to work.

Also i dropped around 12 divine the whole league and i've spend at least 150 on my build, currency doesn't just drop, neither are rare drops worth the time you need to judge if they are worth anything, especially in standard.

Currency comes from bulk selling essences / delirium orbs / whatever mechanic you like and farm - it also comes alot from services you sell via TFT like betrayal - as others have suggested, you should consider playing league, standard prices are just shit and trade there is even more dead than this 2 month old league...

Which char is your current one? I can take a look in POB - also you don't have a single char over 90...you were never ready for red maps to begin with. I usually enter Maps with ~3.5k HP and i have at around 5k+ in red maps, many ppl are more like 6-8k if they are life based.

Grinding fast maps is usually worth more than taking forever in harder maps plus dying.
Last edited by Chumber on Feb 17, 2023, 6:53:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info