Monster Mod Suggestion (for visual clarity)

Hi there,

I never post on the forums but I figured an official outlet would be the best place to offer this suggestion.

We've gone from more generalized ArchNemesis keyword monster mods back to a more straightforward system where we can simply read what the monster is capable of underneath its health bar.
That's fine I like the straightforward approach better than a feeling of "oh this guy is fire elemental something or other but also lots of defensive stuff included probably?".

The problem that could arise now is how quickly can a player look at a monster and see what its most dangerous capabilities are, without diverting their attention too much from the ongoing action.

My suggestion is to use a simple symbol system. If we are able to categorize each monster mod under only a few different tags, then we can present that to the player in the form of symbols.
For my examples, I'll say there are 3 for simplicity's sake; triangle for Damage Aura/Buff, circle-square for Defensive Aura/Buff, and a gear for Utility Aura/Buff. I think that covers most monster mods that I can think of with maybe some overlap in some categories.

I feel like knowing if something is dangerous or not is important first, and then whether or not my build can handle it is likely the next question.

With the new system that is to replace ArchNemesis I feel like many players' first reactions will be to look at the monster mods and at that moment try and decipher just how many damage/defensive/utility modifiers it comes with. This would be in an effort to simplify the process as players will have to live with this new system. Having to take too long to consider all that data every fight for every map sounds tiresome if there isn't a simple built-in way to decipher all that information. With a simple symbol system, this information can be illustrated generally to help in speeding up a player's understanding of a monster's threat level (midnight) at any given time.

If a player notices numerous triangles (damage buff icons) they can regroup to consider if it's dangerous for their particular build or not. And this becomes a really quick mental system solution of spotting something you should stop and maybe take a second look at.

I've prepared a picture to illustrate a basic example of what I mean.

https://imgur.com/fQK6whK

I think in this way, players can quickly assess the threat without too much mental gymnastics because they're working top-down with the information given.

Feedback appreciated.
Last bumped on Dec 3, 2022, 3:06:30 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
i think they actually added icons near mob health bar so it tells mod names as normal and then we got icons near health bar(so as long as you know what icons do we will be able to tell what mods it have)
"
i think they actually added icons near mob health bar so it tells mod names as normal and then we got icons near health bar(so as long as you know what icons do we will be able to tell what mods it have)

I believe you missed the point of my post. The icons near the health bar are unrelated to the monster mods from the scope which I'm discussing (though still a layer of prior knowledge is almost necessary with that...).

My suggestion is to simply and hastily consolidate the needed information (monster mods) in under 2 seconds for players using a few basic geometric symbols.

Chris Wilson during the live stream requested suggestions on how to quickly read this kind of information instead of how it is presented now in plain white text, hence the reason for this thread to begin with.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info