Torchlight infinite is a POE clone but heres things it did differently that i liked

1. Auras
- in poe, traditionally was one "major" aura + 1 "minor" aura. 50% reservation+25/35%. and perhaps potentially squeeze in a flat mana aura somewhere.
- in traditional arpgs/mmo's the function of auras is that you can only run a few at a time and are encouraged to party up with other people in order to get more aura benefits. poe threw that idea out and aura stackers exist.
- in TLI (torchlight infinite), you have 3 dedicated aura slots. whether you can run all of them at once depends on your setup/passives/support skills etc. regardless you get 3 auras and thats it. its simple and provides an elegant way to limit the player from going bonkers ending up with what we have in poe today.

2. trigger skills
- coc/cwdt etc exist separate from the "main skill links". all your trigger skills link to all active skills that could trigger it and does not require any linking of the main skill to the trigger skills. in poe terms that would mean you could have 2-3 different attacks with 6L or 4L setups which all has the potential to proc the trigger skill. technically a 6L main skill can be supported by an additional COC 6L
- trigger skills are balanced via 2 methods. the first is that the cooldowns are long. 1-2 seconds IIRC.
- another way it is balanced is that it reserves mana similar to how an aura reserves mana. link to a high casting cost spell and adding supports all add to the support gem mana reservation cost.
- you can have a variety of different trigger setups but they share the same 3 slots as the aforementioned aura ski

3. melee
- this is interesting. melee skills are all AOE, with generous radius. there are no traditional "smack yo face" single target strike skills. investing in increased aoe can be very good.
- as a mobile game there is some auto targetting in the game, this complements thet melee style greatly.
- with the aoe and auto targetting feature, bosses still can have huge ass aoes/area denials BUT i dont feel too penalized. the melee range allowed me to essentially "kite" bosses. hit and run stye. now i know how it feels like to play "ranged". quite a liberating feeling compared to always having to dance in and out, sneaking hits in while having to make huge risks (poe strike skills usually need players to be very close to the enemy).
- also this helps out a huge lot as i can actually be mobile while maintaining damage. uber sirus's vortex appearing directly on my feet is really frustrating.

4. camera/telegraphing
- sometimes WHEN necessary, the game actually zooms out to let the player see more of the screen.
- there are some telegraphed attacks that i feel was kinda BS but overall its still "clearer" than poe.

Thats all the things i've found interesting that i find are things that when compared to GGG's implementation, i've found poe could be lacking.

for those who are curious about TLI

1. TLI is currently in CLOSED BETA. you need to download tap tap app in order to play it. if you do play it, your character will be wiped once open beta starts.

2. it is announced to be crossplatform with a PC version

3. love it or hate it, tencent is involved with this game. that said, interestingly it was announced to be non p2w, adopting GGG's cosmetic/tab only scheme. if true, GGG is doing well enough that the giant would adopt such a scheme.

4. how i would describe the game:
-torchlight aesthetics but updated to have more details/polish
-torchlight3/grimdawn passive tree (6 classes with 4 subclasses each, players are forced to choose 1 main class and 1 of the 4 subclasses tied to that class, and one more additional subclass which can be from that main class or any other class)
-stats matter for each class, but items have no stat requirements

5. but really isit really f2p? i do see that you can buy INVENTORY space which can be a huge advantage. they also have a card pulling system for it's "paragon" level sort of thing. not too sure about that system as its not fully fledged out in the closed beta. i no longer have access to the game so i cant say for sure.

i would recommend it to people who like making their own builds and for the "casual gamer".

do not let TL3's failure or the name tencent discourage you from trying it. the closed beta is only on mobile for now tho and certain options are not unlocked yet but its fun to try. i kinda burned my weekend away getting to level 57. at level 54 you gain access to all "skill gems" regardless of class, so you're kinda funneled to play classes the way theyre meant to be played until then.
[Removed by Support]
Last bumped on Oct 26, 2022, 8:51:40 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Why recruit for other games. If you don't like this one and prefer that one, than play it. If anyone here believes that Torchlight is going to be great than they weren't part of the first two episodes.
"
CJMIchalik wrote:
Why recruit for other games. If you don't like this one and prefer that one, than play it. If anyone here believes that Torchlight is going to be great than they weren't part of the first two episodes.

because of freedome of speech.
"
exsea wrote:
1. Auras
- in poe, traditionally was one "major" aura + 1 "minor" aura. 50% reservation+25/35%. and perhaps potentially squeeze in a flat mana aura somewhere.
- in traditional arpgs/mmo's the function of auras is that you can only run a few at a time and are encouraged to party up with other people in order to get more aura benefits. poe threw that idea out and aura stackers exist.
- in TLI (torchlight infinite), you have 3 dedicated aura slots. whether you can run all of them at once depends on your setup/passives/support skills etc. regardless you get 3 auras and thats it. its simple and provides an elegant way to limit the player from going bonkers ending up with what we have in poe today.

2. trigger skills
- coc/cwdt etc exist separate from the "main skill links". all your trigger skills link to all active skills that could trigger it and does not require any linking of the main skill to the trigger skills. in poe terms that would mean you could have 2-3 different attacks with 6L or 4L setups which all has the potential to proc the trigger skill. technically a 6L main skill can be supported by an additional COC 6L
- trigger skills are balanced via 2 methods. the first is that the cooldowns are long. 1-2 seconds IIRC.
- another way it is balanced is that it reserves mana similar to how an aura reserves mana. link to a high casting cost spell and adding supports all add to the support gem mana reservation cost.
- you can have a variety of different trigger setups but they share the same 3 slots as the aforementioned aura ski

3. melee
- this is interesting. melee skills are all AOE, with generous radius. there are no traditional "smack yo face" single target strike skills. investing in increased aoe can be very good.
- as a mobile game there is some auto targetting in the game, this complements thet melee style greatly.
- with the aoe and auto targetting feature, bosses still can have huge ass aoes/area denials BUT i dont feel too penalized. the melee range allowed me to essentially "kite" bosses. hit and run stye. now i know how it feels like to play "ranged". quite a liberating feeling compared to always having to dance in and out, sneaking hits in while having to make huge risks (poe strike skills usually need players to be very close to the enemy).
- also this helps out a huge lot as i can actually be mobile while maintaining damage. uber sirus's vortex appearing directly on my feet is really frustrating.

4. camera/telegraphing
- sometimes WHEN necessary, the game actually zooms out to let the player see more of the screen.
- there are some telegraphed attacks that i feel was kinda BS but overall its still "clearer" than poe.

Thats all the things i've found interesting that i find are things that when compared to GGG's implementation, i've found poe could be lacking.

for those who are curious about TLI

1. TLI is currently in CLOSED BETA. you need to download tap tap app in order to play it. if you do play it, your character will be wiped once open beta starts.

2. it is announced to be crossplatform with a PC version

3. love it or hate it, tencent is involved with this game. that said, interestingly it was announced to be non p2w, adopting GGG's cosmetic/tab only scheme. if true, GGG is doing well enough that the giant would adopt such a scheme.

4. how i would describe the game:
-torchlight aesthetics but updated to have more details/polish
-torchlight3/grimdawn passive tree (6 classes with 4 subclasses each, players are forced to choose 1 main class and 1 of the 4 subclasses tied to that class, and one more additional subclass which can be from that main class or any other class)
-stats matter for each class, but items have no stat requirements

5. but really isit really f2p? i do see that you can buy INVENTORY space which can be a huge advantage. they also have a card pulling system for it's "paragon" level sort of thing. not too sure about that system as its not fully fledged out in the closed beta. i no longer have access to the game so i cant say for sure.

i would recommend it to people who like making their own builds and for the "casual gamer".

do not let TL3's failure or the name tencent discourage you from trying it. the closed beta is only on mobile for now tho and certain options are not unlocked yet but its fun to try. i kinda burned my weekend away getting to level 57. at level 54 you gain access to all "skill gems" regardless of class, so you're kinda funneled to play classes the way theyre meant to be played until then.

hmmmmm.... ill take a look to tourchlight
Thanks for the synopsis op. I never could get into TL series due to the soft and cartoon like graphics. But Infinite looks a little better, but mobile ARPG yeah no thanks.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
"
CJMIchalik wrote:

my original intent for my post is to highlight what the game did differently than poe that i liked or found interesting but since the post was already long, i decided to just post more about the game preemptively.

honestly, if you're not interested, dont play it. i dont get a cent from the game devs for promoting their game.

on a separate note, to the mods, if you deem me encouraging other players to play other games, just delete the parts of the post that promotes TLI.

i personally find it that the way they handled certain aspects of the game interesting compared to how poe handles them.

also its a good wake up call. newer arpgs are popping up. GGG can change POE however they like, players are free to play whatever games they like.

arpg gamers are hungry.

"
KaiserBlade42 wrote:

hmmmmm.... ill take a look to tourchlight

hope you enjoy it.

"
Thanks for the synopsis op. I never could get into TL series due to the soft and cartoon like graphics. But Infinite looks a little better, but mobile ARPG yeah no thanks.

understandable, i myself dislike mobile games but i tried it since i was taking a break from poe. apparently there will be a pc version so maybe you could consider it in the future.
[Removed by Support]
Looks interesting but isn't perfect world developing this? Perfect World is known for pay to win microtransactions.I hope I'm wrong.

Mobile ARPGs often have pay to win, just look at diablo immortal horrible microtransactions.
"
kolpo wrote:
Looks interesting but isn't perfect world developing this? Perfect World is known for pay to win microtransactions.I hope I'm wrong.

Mobile ARPGs often have pay to win, just look at diablo immortal horrible microtransactions.

yeap its one of the reasons why i stayed away from the game for so long.

however i read on ign

https://www.ign.com/articles/upcoming-arpg-torchlight-infinite-enters-closed-beta

that its not p2w. i was very skeptical, but i was hungry for something new. so far i havent really encountered anything p2w yet beside buying inventory slots.

its still closed beta but can easily be played so you can test it your self.

one thing GGG did is it proved to the world that f2p doesnt need to be p2w.

i m not touching diablo immortal tho. thats a proven to be p2w game.
[Removed by Support]
Eww, it doesn't even look like Torchlight, flashy over-the-top Chinese style skill animations. TL3 was an utter disaster, seems they're following suit. First two games were great. Shame Runic folded =/
I played through TL 1 and 2. Cute, cool games for what they are. Never really got into the endgame (endless dungeon in 1 and "maps" in 2, I seem to remember). Never really liked the art style either, but they both do a lot of things right.

Haven't seen much of TL:I, doubt I will. PoE has spoiled me, as no ARPG will ever live up to the amount of content, longevity and depth PoE offers. I say "ever", but we never know.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info